Big Thank you... not

Happy Guy

Featured Posts

The stoppage notice.....

Stoppage: Caen Hill Flight

22 Jun 2010 until further notice

Associated Regional Office: Kennet & Avon Waterways

Due to a boat strike to the bottom gates of lock 24, the Caen hill flight of locks is closed from Lock 22 to Lock 44 until further notice.

An assessment of the structural stability of the gates will be carried out in the next 24 hours, and an update will be issued on Waterscape.

British Waterways apologise for any inconvenience caused

(Enquiries: 01380 722859)

A boat strike? Are they coming out in sympathy with British Airways cabin crew?

The local paper says that the gates were damaged beyond repair; thinking of how sturdy lock gates are, someone must have hit them very hard indeed. Is there any news of how it happened?

Edited by Athy

Part of the Caen Hill section of the Kennet and Avon Canal in Wiltshire has been closed after a boat damaged a pair of lock gates.

A spokesman for British Waterways said the gates were damaged beyond repair. Replacing them could take up to two weeks.

<snip>

A £500,000 gate refurbishment programme is under way. It will see 16 new gates installed.

The damaged gates were part of that refurbishment but will now be replaced earlier than scheduled.

<snip>

I do think that it is very convenient for BW to have a boater for people to blame for this, not the state of the maintenance of the gates.

Richard

Edited by RLWP

I do think that it is very convenient for BW to have a boater for people to blame for this, not the state of the maintenance of the gates.

Richard

As the gates take a bit of time to manufacture, and if they were about to be changed anyway, is it not possible (probable ?) that the replacement is waiting somewhere, finished, and ready to fit ? I wonder why they are not pulling out the stops and capitalising on a potentially serious setback for hundreds of boats wanting / needing to use the locks at almost a peak time of the year, as term finishes any time now for all those hiring a boat and going on their summer holiday. Or was it possibly that the gates were in such poor shape that even a minimal boat strike has broken them ?

Nick

As the gates take a bit of time to manufacture, and if they were about to be changed anyway, is it not possible (probable ?) that the replacement is waiting somewhere, finished, and ready to fit ? I wonder why they are not pulling out the stops and capitalising on a potentially serious setback for hundreds of boats wanting / needing to use the locks at almost a peak time of the year, as term finishes any time now for all those hiring a boat and going on their summer holiday. Or was it possibly that the gates were in such poor shape that even a minimal boat strike has broken them ?

Nick

As I understand it the gates in question were indeed due for replacement (last winter) but for various reasons including the weather were not. The gates are therefore made and waiting for transport and fitting.

Big thank you to the person who struck the lock at Caen Hill and has put it out of action for at least the next few weeks according to BW. I was trying to get my new boat from the Thames to near Bath.

Sorry... I had to get that our of my system.

| understand your frustration but we don't know the circumstances that led up to the gates being hit. It may not be any fault of the person steering the boat. There are possible scenarios where they may have hit the gate for good reasons. For instance it may be that at a crucial moment the gear shift cable broke and therefore it was not possible to stop the boat.

I give the above example as it happened to me last week on the T&M from Great Haywood. I was going down hill just entering the lock and put it in reverse (so I thought) at that time I was only going slowly into the lock anyway but as the cable had just snapped the box stayed in forward gear and so even though I pulled the lever back The boat went faster forward. I had to get down and lift gear box shifter myself but too late to stop colliding with the lock gates. It wasn't too hard but enough to break a chain on my front fender.

It says in the stoppages thread that they have a pair of gates that they are adapting

Richard

They must have been quite bad for a boat to be able to break them

Reported on Narrow Boat World here

http://www.narrowboatworld.com/index.php/n...loses-caen-hill

According to lock keeper it was 2 private boats going down roped together.

Decided to separate, but only untied each other at the back. One boat went forward, when the gate for the other boat hadnt been opened.

Looking at the gate, I guess that the rope must have impacted on the gate, applying the momentum of two boats onto a very small part of the gate, bending the bottom out of true.

The gate was *not* one of those that was due for replacement over winter, although looking at them it wont have been too long before it was due for replacement. They have fished out of the water one of the pair of gates that they didnt manage to fit on the main part of the flight at the start of the year because of the freezing up. So if it was not for the bad weather then the stoppage would bee for as long as it would take to make a new pair of gates.

Think they are also using the stoppage to get some other work done.

NBW reporting is typical NBW, why let the truth get in the way of your own prejudices.

| understand your frustration but we don't know the circumstances that led up to the gates being hit. It may not be any fault of the person steering the boat. There are possible scenarios where they may have hit the gate for good reasons. For instance it may be that at a crucial moment the gear shift cable broke and therefore it was not possible to stop the boat.

According to lock keeper it was 2 private boats going down roped together.

Decided to separate, but only untied each other at the back. One boat went forward, when the gate for the other boat hadnt been opened.

Looking at the gate, I guess that the rope must have impacted on the gate, applying the momentum of two boats onto a very small part of the gate, bending the bottom out of true.

The gate was *not* one of those that was due for replacement over winter, although looking at them it wont have been too long before it was due for replacement. They have fished out of the water one of the pair of gates that they didnt manage to fit on the main part of the flight at the start of the year because of the freezing up. So if it was not for the bad weather then the stoppage would bee for as long as it would take to make a new pair of gates.

Think they are also using the stoppage to get some other work done.

NBW reporting is typical NBW, why let the truth get in the way of your own prejudices.

Oh dear, oh well sometimes Stuff happens!

Waterscape:

Emergency repair to Caen Hill lock gates

29th Jun 2010

Last Tuesday morning, 22 June, a private boat travelling through lock 24 on the Caen Hill Flight alongside a hire boat, struck the lock gate. Unfortunately the damage caused by the impact of the boat caused irreparable damage to the gate. The boats did not suffer any substantial damage, and all crew were safe.

One of the boaters reported the damage to British Waterways on-site. The lock flight was closed and the damaged gate was assessed by British Waterways' engineers on Wednesday 23 June. Notifications were sent to boaters via www.waterscape.com and waterway businesses alerted. The towpath from Lock 22 to Lock 25 will remain closed for the duration of the works.

The gates at Lock 24 were scheduled to be replaced in the winter 2010 maintenance programme, this work has now been moved forward and the British Waterways team is working to remove the old, damaged gates and fit new bespoke gates as soon as possible. At this stage we anticipate the lock flight reopening to the public on Friday 9 July.

Lock gates are all hand made, and this process can take two weeks. Fortunately a pair of lock gates intended for another lock on the flight was being stored in water in the side ponds at the flight. This set of gates is close enough in size and dimensions to the affected lock, and after some alterations will be fitted to lock 24.

Today a fish rescue will be taking place as the water is drained from the lock, safety equipment put in place, and a crane set up on site. The damaged gates will be removed and the new gates fitted. The work is expected to cost approximately £45,000.

BW working hard to minimise disruption

British Waterways’ waterway manager, Mark Stephens said: "The British Waterways team are working very hard to minimise disruption to boaters and other waterway users by completing the repair works as quickly and as safely as possible. By moving equipment and staff from other planned works we will be able to complete the job and get boats moving again. We have amended our works at other locations such as the Bath Flight to enable boaters to enjoy other sections of the canal.

"This winter we have undertaken a number of lock gate replacements on the flight and our team will take the experience they gained from these works to enable them to complete the lock gate replacement at lock 24 in a swift and safe manner.

How on earth can you spend £45k on this? A crane, which is probably the most cost must surely be approx £300.400 a day, on site. The gates are already budgeted for as they are in the pipeline for this coming winter repairs.

That's a lot of money.

Martyn

Waterscape:

29th Jun 2010

Last Tuesday morning, 22 June, a private boat travelling through lock 24 on the Caen Hill Flight alongside a hire boat, struck the lock gate. Unfortunately the damage caused by the impact of the boat caused irreparable damage to the gate. The boats did not suffer any substantial damage, and all crew were safe.

One of the boaters reported the damage to British Waterways on-site. The lock flight was closed and the damaged gate was assessed by British Waterways' engineers on Wednesday 23 June. Notifications were sent to boaters via www.waterscape.com and waterway businesses alerted. The towpath from Lock 22 to Lock 25 will remain closed for the duration of the works.

The gates at Lock 24 were scheduled to be replaced in the winter 2010 maintenance programme, this work has now been moved forward and the British Waterways team is working to remove the old, damaged gates and fit new bespoke gates as soon as possible. At this stage we anticipate the lock flight reopening to the public on Friday 9 July.

Lock gates are all hand made, and this process can take two weeks. Fortunately a pair of lock gates intended for another lock on the flight was being stored in water in the side ponds at the flight. This set of gates is close enough in size and dimensions to the affected lock, and after some alterations will be fitted to lock 24.

Today a fish rescue will be taking place as the water is drained from the lock, safety equipment put in place, and a crane set up on site. The damaged gates will be removed and the new gates fitted. The work is expected to cost approximately £45,000.

BW working hard to minimise disruption

British Waterways’ waterway manager, Mark Stephens said: "The British Waterways team are working very hard to minimise disruption to boaters and other waterway users by completing the repair works as quickly and as safely as possible. By moving equipment and staff from other planned works we will be able to complete the job and get boats moving again. We have amended our works at other locations such as the Bath Flight to enable boaters to enjoy other sections of the canal.

"This winter we have undertaken a number of lock gate replacements on the flight and our team will take the experience they gained from these works to enable them to complete the lock gate replacement at lock 24 in a swift and safe manner.

Nice quote from the BW public relations department. Note that the damage was caused by a 'private boater' who was locking through with a hire boat. Having done the wonderful Caen Hill flight up and down quite a number of times, if paired up with a hire boat have invariably found sometimes it goes all Pete Tong due to the inexperience of the hire boat crew. We have also in the past let other boats lock through elsewhere if we feel that the safety of our boat and the crew may be compremised, particularly if it one of those pirate booze cruises. Interesting that BW stressed that it was a private boat; what, if anything, contributed to the accident by the hire boat. Its the time of year when advanced muppetry seems to rule the canals. Must point out in fairness that we have had our fair share of various incidents with the boat, but have yet to take out a complete set of lock gates; hopefully never.

As per a previous post above, to confirm (source BW), the gates are being adapted to fit the damaged lock as they were destined for a different lock renewal elsewhere.

Waterscape:

29th Jun 2010

Last Tuesday morning, 22 June, a private boat travelling through lock 24 on the Caen Hill Flight alongside a hire boat, struck the lock gate. Unfortunately the damage caused by the impact of the boat caused irreparable damage to the gate.

Putting these two statements together, if they are both accurate, means the open gate must have been the one in front of the hire boat, in which case the hire boat must have moved forwards while the two boats were still tied together at the bows, causing the private boat to strike the gate. This would suggest that the mishap was probably caused by the steerer of the hire boat.

I must say I have experienced similar problems when sharing locks with less-experienced hirers, who cannot resist the urge to start moving forwards as soon as the gates are open even when they have been specifically instructed not to. This is not to criticise hirers in general, it's just a trend that I have experienced.

It's not all bad if you are stuck at the top of the flight - this weekend it's the beer festival in the wharf! :lol::lol::lol::lol:;)

Just realised that this may actually make you even more miserable if you are a non-drinky type who doesn't enjoy live music but hey-ho ;)

Roy.

Putting these two statements together, if they are both accurate, means the open gate must have been the one in front of the hire boat, in which case the hire boat must have moved forwards while the two boats were still tied together at the bows, causing the private boat to strike the gate. This would suggest that the mishap was probably caused by the steerer of the hire boat.

Gosh talk about jumping to a conclusion from a very small amount of information.

You have made a whole suit from a buttonhole there sir.

Interesting take on this forum that you immediately blame the hirer (who may be very experienced) over the private boat (who may have none at all).

Edited by Chris Pink

Gosh talk about jumping to a conclusion from a very small amount of information.

Interesting take on this forum that you immediately blame the hirer (who may be very experienced) over the private boat (who may have none at all).

Quite.

I will soon set off from Stone, as a private boat, with no experience. I like learning on the job... :lol:

I'll try to update my itinery daily, to allow all to get out of harms way.

And whilst I was at Stone, working on the boat, I saw plenty of hirers, who obviously knew very well what they were doing.

I expect to be able to enter a lock without incident by the time I get to Devizes though.

It seems that this will probably be the last word (on the cause) from BW:

lockdamage_newsjpgdisplay.jpg

It happened when a private boat and a hire craft were using lock 24 near the bottom of the flight. The hire boat got through on the left but the other craft couldn’t and struck the right gate.

No one was injured and the craft sailed on after the incident on the morning of June 22. One of the boaters reported the damage to British Waterways.

Waterway manager Mark Stephens said boats shared the locks to save time and water. “I believe the boats had been travelling down the flight and had shared the lock above Lock 24.”

The right hand gate might not have been open properly when the boats became tangled but British Waterways could not confirm the cause of the collision.

Mr Stephens said: “Generally when there are collisions our gates come off worse.”

Full story This is wiltshire.

No I have drawn the only logical conclusion from the assumption (which I stated) that two statements were accurate. That assumption may of course be false.

One gate was open, one was closed. (stated).

It was the private boat which struck the gate. (stated)

It is not possible to strike an open gate, but it is possible to strike a closed gate (fact)

Therefore the closed gate MUST have been the one on the private boat's side (logical deduction).

It is inconceivable that the steerer of the private boat would choose to start moving forwards towards a closed gate (my assumption)

Therefore it was the steerer of the hire boat who started to move forwards towards the open gate (logical deduction).

The boats had been untied at the back but not at the front. The steerer of the moving boat should have realised that he was taking the other boat with him as he moved forwards, but he did not. Therefore it was his fault.

I place the blame there not because he was a hirer but because it was his fault according to the facts that have been stated. If the facts had stated that it was the hire boat that had struck the gate, then I would have said that I thought the private boater was to blame.

I agree whole-heartedly that many hirers are more experienced and more skilful than many private boaters. In fact I meet so many private boaters who have never travelled more than a few miles or operated more than half a dozen locks despite living on their boat for years, that I would go so far as to say that MOST hirers are more skilful and more careful than the average private boater.

It could be that one gate just wasn't FULLY open.

It is possible that both gates appeared open enough but in fact one was partially obstructed (e.g. by a log). If both boats attempted to leave at the same time, one of them wouldn't be able to fit through the gap that was left alongside the boat which did fit.

Interesting! Would you as a 'private boater' allow yourself to be tied to a hire boat and let the hire boat take control? I know I wouldn't.