Can I have a floating manageriery?

Stevethetrain

Featured Posts

I have 1 cat, two kittens and a fish tank, my friend is trying to convince me that 3 cats on a boat won't work and will devalue the boat. As I am planning to buy and live on a 40-55 foot boat I want to know what you guys think.

I think the cats would be fine, it's the fish tank I'm worried about... Some sort of splosh-proof lid perhaps? I've visions of fish making a break for freedom when you make contact with something...

PC

Would baffle-plates help in a fish-tank?

Another consideration, I would have thought, would be the sort of fish. If they're Tropical where you've to phaff with heaters, filters and pumps and stuff there's the power requirements to think about.

Would baffle-plates help in a fish-tank?

Another consideration, I would have thought, would be the sort of fish. If they're Tropical where you've to phaff with heaters, filters and pumps and stuff there's the power requirements to think about.

Ooooh, a new wall.

Ooooh, a new wall.

Ooooh, a new wall.

Ooooh, a new wall.

Ooooh, a new wall.

Ooooh, a new wall.

Ooooh, a new wall.

Fair point on the power requirements - I'd not even thought of that! :lol:

PC

I have 1 cat, two kittens and a fish tank, my friend is trying to convince me that 3 cats on a boat won't work and will devalue the boat. As I am planning to buy and live on a 40-55 foot boat I want to know what you guys think.

How would cats devalue a boat? Plenty of liveaboard boaters are staff to cats..

Keeping the water in the fish tank from splashing around would be my concern. I'm planning on a tropical aquarium, but it will be built in so I can make the tank higher than what will be on show. I was thinking of making the lid of the tank "splash proof" with a hose for the air, but I'll be using a air pump, which will circulate the air. This splash proof lid won't be on show. I'm not sure how I would do a stand alone fish tank with a lid on show, I suppose it depends on the size of the tank and if your not bothered about the water looking level.

Another note as most are kittens, it may help if when feeding to ring a bell or blow a whistle. This way you can train them to come to you if you wish to move the boat, etc.

My friend seems to think that the cat hair and the smell of cats will put people off if we ever need to sell the boat, as I will need his help to raise the finance (long story, don't ask!) I need to convince him that my two darling kittens and fully grown cat won't cause a problem.

My friend seems to think that the cat hair and the smell of cats will put people off if we ever need to sell the boat, as I will need his help to raise the finance (long story, don't ask!) I need to convince him that my two darling kittens and fully grown cat won't cause a problem.

Can't help you with a convincer, I'm afraid...

Everything's reversible, all the same, if you try hard enough.

I smoke, admittedly, like a chimney, and drive like a careful hooligan (!) and I can still return a vehicle to a state in which you couldn't tell either of those attributes had been exhibited. Just takes time and effort.

PC

A house/boat will put people off if it smells of dogs or cats. It's a sign of a lazy owner though, and this may reflect in the maintenance of the place.

I presume you do some housework and clean the place though, a house/boat with animals doesn't need to smell of them!

Edited by Robbo

We have a cat and a dog aboard and as long as you clean before viewers come round for a sale then I can't see why it would devalue a boat. It wouldn't devalue a house!

Our kitten (not that he's kitten size anymore) is absolutely fine on the boat and so far (touch wood) has been fine when we've been out. The nearest to a disaster was when a german shepherd decided to chase Chutney (the cat). Only because Chutney used his big brother (a rottie) as a spring board into the cratch to alert our big dog who promptly stood up and growled at the german shepherd to warn him off his little brother!

Next door has fish and no problems there.

Why not do a poll here and see what the crowd think? If it goes in your favour then you could show him, if it doesn't well who's to know you ever asked :lol:

If you need the help of a friend to raise the finance, and he's fussy about your lifestyle, should you be going into this financial arrangement?

Richard

It wouldn't devalue a house!

Yes it would.

I guess that your house hunting never included some of the ones we once looked at. They STUNK, the wood work was wrecked due to the scratching. I would guess it would knock at least £10k of the house price if you could even get a sale. Even with not price reduction a bad smell will reduce your chance of a sale.

Oh & we have FIVE cats & a dog but our house (well cooped up in a caravan at the min while we build) does not smell of either & some visitors dont even realise we have either.

If you keep it clean & the cats are allowed out to do what cats do & only use the litter box as a last resort (we dont even have one any more) then it should not matter.

As you have the cats now ask him if it reduces the value of where you are now. In fact ask someone independent (and will tell the truth) if your current place stinks of cats.

Far to many animal owners just dont realise that their house does stink.

You can have whatever you like, after all it is YOUR boat, there are many of us who have a motley assortment of foue legged crew. We ourselves moved on with 4 dogs, a GSD, Bearded Collie, Brichon Frise and a Yoodle plus a hand reared Budgie and a hand reared Cockatiel.

Sadly 8 years on we only have our old grey bearded GSD.

So move aboard with whatever crew you like and ENJOY.

Phil

You can have whatever you like, after all it is YOUR boat, there are many of us who have a motley assortment of foue legged crew. We ourselves moved on with 4 dogs, a GSD, Bearded Collie, Brichon Frise and a Yoodle plus a hand reared Budgie and a hand reared Cockatiel.

Sadly 8 years on we only have our old grey bearded GSD.

So move aboard with whatever crew you like and ENJOY.

Phil

okay Phil.

can't bear it any longer. what's a yoodle? i get the poodle part but for the very life of me i can't figure out the "Y" part.

cheers

nigel

EDIT to say - it'sokay, i figured it out. it's Yorkie and Poodle, isn't it?

Edited by capnthommo

It would certainly devalue your boat if you tried to sell it to me with the present incumbents included in the sale :lol:

Other than that, a good clean and keep the clawmarks to a minimum and even I would consider it. Of course, a good healthy stench of wet dog can only enhance the value of anything. If only one could bottle it....aaaah!