Bolinder boats extant

zenataomm

Featured Posts

Foxglove ?

Hi all,

I've just joined the forum on behalf of my father who owns Foxglove (70ft FMC, fleet no:357, reg no:1631) which indeed runs a 9hp Bolinder (which he lovingly restored and fitted). I was out with him in Foxglove this weekend gone and can confirm it is running very well indeed - even reversing on first try!

My main reason for joining this forum, I must confess, was to possibly find out some much needed information re Foxglove from the oracles on here :)

(Sorry for hijacking the thread)

My father has tried researching Foxglove's yard number but to no avail. It was built at W.J.Yarwoods & Sons, Northwich.

We understand that records may be held somewhere?

Many thanks in advance

Jason

Hi all,

I've just joined the forum on behalf of my father who owns Foxglove (70ft FMC, fleet no:357, reg no:1631) which indeed runs a 9hp Bolinder (which he lovingly restored and fitted). I was out with him in Foxglove this weekend gone and can confirm it is running very well indeed - even reversing on first try!

My main reason for joining this forum, I must confess, was to possibly find out some much needed information re Foxglove from the oracles on here :)

My father has tried researching Foxglove's yard number but to no avail. It was built at W.J.Yarwoods & Sons, Northwich.

Many thanks in advance

Jason

Jason,

I have some records from the late Clive Guthrie who was the Yarwoods guru, Foxglove and all the latter FMC motors are missing. I am sure if the info is about it will appear on here in due course

Hi - many thanks for that.

Pretty much what we had gathered. My father has a 'guess' number from a process of elimination, but he doesn't know for sure....

The engraving on Foxglove's plaque will have to wait for now :cheers:

Hi all,

Many thanks in advance

Jason

HI,

I am reliably informed that the yard number for Foxglove is almost certainly 803. Also if the Bolinder in that boat is the one which was an exhibit at Shardlow in the 1980's it is a 15hp model not a 9hp. This was supplied to "Plus Pleasures Marine" museum by Tony Miles of Keay's dock along with a single cylinder Petter. Having just spoke to Tony (who lives in Thailand) he confirms this.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

:rolleyes: <- my father rolling his eyes at my mistake, yes it is indeed a 15hp 6ltr boly :banghead:

HI,

I am reliably informed that the yard number for Foxglove is almost certainly 803....

His research and process of elimination had led him to number 802 - so 803 is now also a possibility? I'll let him know - many thanks!

:rolleyes: <- my father rolling his eyes at my mistake, yes it is indeed a 15hp 6ltr boly :banghead:

His research and process of elimination had led him to number 802 - so 803 is now also a possibility? I'll let him know - many thanks!

803 is based on the delivery sequence so almost certainly correct.

Still with a Bolinder

Off the top of my head ...........

Worcester - Tunnel Tug

Jaguar - Josher

Minnow - Josher

Dane - T. Clayton

George - GUCCCo

Kangaroo - Josher

Peacock - Josher

Colonel - Josher

Dragon - Josher

Being Pedantic shouldn't that be still with a Bolinder and/ or once again refitted with a Bolinder after having spent time with other engines??

Edited by antarmike

This is the Bolinder that was took to Shardlow for the exhibition there in the 1980's. Tony Mles is seen examining it in the front of "Judith Anne" at Keays dock prior to setting off for Shardlow. this is the engine now in "Foxglove".

gallery_5000_522_37390.jpg

Many moons ago Peter Froud sold an engine 'kit', I think it may have been to Dennis Cooper, on the strict understanding that it was 'for display purposes only', AFAIR it was for the pub at Gas Street. I imagine it's been refurbished and put into a boat by now, anyone know its fate?

Tim

Many moons ago Peter Froud sold an engine 'kit', I think it may have been to Dennis Cooper, on the strict understanding that it was 'for display purposes only', AFAIR it was for the pub at Gas Street. I imagine it's been refurbished and put into a boat by now, anyone know its fate?

Tim

I think that was the one which went into the "Longboat" pub on Cambrian Wharf, it was upstairs and was always losing parts!

This is the Bolinder that was took to Shardlow for the exhibition there in the 1980's. Tony Mles is seen examining it in the front of "Judith Anne" at Keays dock prior to setting off for Shardlow. this is the engine now in "Foxglove".

gallery_5000_522_37390.jpg

Going OT for a second,

Laurence, Judith Anne seems to have quite a high floor creating quite a deep bilge. Is this because she is quite buoyant and needed extra ballast do you know?

Dan

GEORGE was originally fitted with a Kromhout according to one source. Last time I heard it running (2010 I think) it sounded very regular, unlike most Bolinders, but it is listed elsewhere as being Bolinder powered.

Everything I've seen says Bolinder - but you're right it sounds far more like an engine with variable injection. I just assumed it was slightly broke :P

Mike

Everything I've seen says Bolinder - but you're right it sounds far more like an engine with variable injection. I just assumed it was slightly broke :P

Mike

20 Horse with Gear Box.

Tim

It spent many years in the lower entrance to the pub under the new name (Flapper & Firkin?). I did meet the guy who managed to extract it from the brewery and he was indeed going to put it in a boat, but I have no idea which boat. Must have been more than ten years ago as I ceased working on the Thirteen in 2000.

20 Horse with Gear Box.

It spent many years in the lower entrance to the pub under the new name (Flapper & Firkin?). I did meet the guy who managed to extract it from the brewery and he was indeed going to put it in a boat, but I have no idea which boat. Must have been more than ten years ago as I ceased working on the Thirteen in 2000.

Indeed it was sold over ten years ago and rebuilt in a shed as many useful parts had gone missing ( boatmen visiting the pub with a pocket full of spanners I hear!)

My understanding is that it is now the one running in Dory.