Stratford upon Avon

weeble

Featured Posts

Over the next couple weeks I'm thinking of doing the Warwickshire ring and taking a trip down to Stratford upon Avon, which is new ground for me. I've just been looking at the Google maps and see that in the centre of Stratford where the canal ends there appears to be a number of Pontoons. I was just wondering if this means the "basin" is private mooring only or whether some visitor moorings are available.

Can anyone shine a light on the likelihood of being able to moor near the town (city?) centre.

Also any preferences/advice as to whether to enter Birmingham (CCW) via the North Stratford Canal or carry on up the GU through Solihull?

Over the next couple weeks I'm thinking of doing the Warwickshire ring and taking a trip down to Stratford upon Avon, which is new ground for me. I've just been looking at the Google maps and see that in the centre of Stratford where the canal ends there appears to be a number of Pontoons. I was just wondering if this means the "basin" is private mooring only or whether some visitor moorings are available.

Can anyone shine a light on the likelihood of being able to moor near the town (city?) centre.

Also any preferences/advice as to whether to enter Birmingham (CCW) via the North Stratford Canal or carry on up the GU through Solihull?

I believe there are paid-for visitor moorings in stratford, but someone else (BSP?) will be along to help...

On the other question, we've done both a few times, if you choose the Stratford, give us a wave on the way past.

The Stratford route gets the flight of locks out of the way at the start, and you've an easy run to Bham, via the interesting guillotine lock (1) at Kings Norton - there was also a diversion in place up beyond the uni, which might have an impact.

Going t'other way, you've got Knowle broad locks, where you'll enjoy (!) being blown around and walking miles around the wide pounds, then beyond Catherine de Barnes, the canal is in a cutting for miles and miles so you can't see anything... Depending on where you're going in Brum, you've potentially got a few flights up and down before reaching the centre too.

Up to you, I prefer the North Stratford route.

PC

The Basin in the centre of Stratford is free mooring for 48 hrs, and it's a great place to be.

Can be a little challenging getting to a birth if it's windy, depends how full it is, but take it slowly and you'll be fine.

We were there about a month ago, and it's great to moor in the centre of the town and watch everything going on around you.

If the basin is full you can go down the lock onto the river and moor opposite the theatre, but you should get an Avon licence to do this (I believe, certainly you need one if you are going any father down the river).

The Stratford can be quite busy, but it is worth it if you have the time.

If you're doing the Warwickshire ring it's easiest to go into Birmingham via the Grand Union, you don't get into right into the centre, but there are lots less locks than going the other way. It depends on how much time you have really.

Sue

I believe there are paid-for visitor moorings in stratford, but someone else (BSP?) will be along to help...

On the other question, we've done both a few times, if you choose the Stratford, give us a wave on the way past.

The Stratford route gets the flight of locks out of the way at the start, and you've an easy run to Bham, via the interesting guillotine lock (1) at Kings Norton - there was also a diversion in place up beyond the uni, which might have an impact.

Going t'other way, you've got Knowle broad locks, where you'll enjoy (!) being blown around and walking miles around the wide pounds, then beyond Catherine de Barnes, the canal is in a cutting for miles and miles so you can't see anything... Depending on where you're going in Brum, you've potentially got a few flights up and down before reaching the centre too.

Up to you, I prefer the North Stratford route.

PC

With regard to the route into Birmingham centre - most people seem to prefer the North Stratford route but the GU is, nevertheless, quite pleasant - the canal in the long straight cutting is constantly framed by mature leafy trees and it all looks very pleasant but the dark waters hide more than a few murky secrets that will grab your prop and scrape along your bottom!

With regard to the route into Birmingham centre - most people seem to prefer the North Stratford route but the GU is, nevertheless, quite pleasant - the canal in the long straight cutting is constantly framed by mature leafy trees and it all looks very pleasant but the dark waters hide more than a few murky secrets that will grab your prop and scrape along your bottom!

...and there's always the romantic sight of Tyseley incinerator illuminated at night...

:lol:

Sorry, only joking, it's not as bad a route as perhaps I painted... :lol:

Yes, Bancroft basin is visitor moorings, and is a great place if you like Japanese tourists taking photos of your boat ;-) You can also moor on the approach to the basin, so if you send someone ahead to scout out if there is space in the basin or not you can decide to moor on the approach if it is full.

If you go down on to the river to moor I believe you need a “lock and moor” licence for the Avon from the tourist information centre at £6.

It depends on where you want to be in Birmingham as to which route works out best. If you are just making a run though Brum and sticking to the ring then the GU route is the more direct. If you want to sample Gas Street Basin and some on the BCN Main Line then the north Stratford is the way to go, once you have cleared Lapworth locks you are on the same level as Gas Street and the main line. North Stratford would be my choice, but then I do live there….

Your bottom, not ours, we "only" draw 2 feet 3 inches!

And I love Camp Hill, Garrison, Aston, Ashted and Farmers Bridge

we did the Avon Ring last year, up the Worcs and Brum, down Farmers, down Ashted, and up Camp Hill (and 77 year old Dad and Val had to work all those locks because I'd been bitten on the hands by a dog)

edited to add, and three weeks later we went down Farmers Bridge Again, but this time down Aston and up Perry Barr. I've done Farmers Bridge seven times in total I think

Edited by magpie patrick

Yes if you want to moor overnight in the centre of Birmingham then go up the North Stratford and eventually moor outside the NIA. a great free bed in the centre of the city. We always enjoy it there.

Personally I really don't like Farmers Bridge Locks I find them quite overpowering and intimidating. Something to do with being under those huge tower blocks. Otherwise the rest of the flights are fine, and there's lots of interest if you like industrial history.

If you do the Grand Union route, you can moor at the top of Camp Hill Locks behind a BW fence, there a shower block etc there too.

Sue

Thanks to all for your advice. I'm just packing up the car now ready for an early start tomorrow. I think I'll aim to go via the North Stratford and spend a night in Brum, unless time is short. But I'm allowing the best part of 3 weeks so although we don't do too long a day I reckon that's sufficient. Just hope SWMBO is up to all those locks :lol:

As for the Japanese tourists; I'll be sure to have one of my 'cleaner' vests on!

Cheers

Thanks to all for your advice. I'm just packing up the car now ready for an early start tomorrow. I think I'll aim to go via the North Stratford and spend a night in Brum, unless time is short. But I'm allowing the best part of 3 weeks so although we don't do too long a day I reckon that's sufficient. Just hope SWMBO is up to all those locks :lol:

As for the Japanese tourists; I'll be sure to have one of my 'cleaner' vests on!

Cheers

The tourists are great. Get yourself a glass of wine or beer, sit yourself on the end of the boat nearest the centre of the basin and watch the whole mad world go by. Brilliant!

The pub near the basin is good too, the one by the Shakespeare statue

Have a great time, we did

Richard

The tourists are great. Get yourself a glass of wine or beer, sit yourself on the end of the boat nearest the centre of the basin and watch the whole mad world go by. Brilliant!

Richard

Last time we went down the canal to Stratford, we did something similar - except that we were sitting in the last lock that led to the basin (not so many 'Gongoozlers') - unfortunately the basin level was so low that we were sitting firmly on the bottom and couldn't move until BW staff flushed us out by letting loads of water down from higher up the locks!

Edited by NB Alnwick

Last time we went down the canal to Stratford, we did something similar - except that we were sitting in the last lock that led to the basin (not so many 'Gongoozlers') - unfortunately the basin level was so low that we were sitting firmly on the bottom and couldn't move until BW staff flushed us out by letting loads of water down from higher up the locks!

I'll bet you found the turn after that lock easier than we do.

Richard

I'll bet you found the turn after that lock easier than we do.

Richard

No we haven't fitted the wheels on the bottom yet . . .

. . . so we still have to follow the channel made by all who struggled before us!

Edited by NB Alnwick

Cheers

You aren't a boater who can't let go of his knob are you? SWIMBO should be steering the boat and making you cool drinks whilst you work the locks.

Sue

Richard

I agree, the pub is the Pen and Parchment by the way. We chose it because they were doing a 2 main courses for £10 offer, and we wanted a reasonably priced meal. We expected a bit cheap and cheerful, but were very pleasantly surprised, not too expensive and very nice. The staff were friendly and helpful as well, I would recommend it.

As we tried to leave we couldn't turn right out of our berth because another boat had moored along side, and we couldn't clear their bow before hitting the trip boat opposite. We decided to go down onto the river, turn and straight back up again. Easy Peasy!

The Avon at Stratford is very busy early on a Sunday afternoon :lol:

Went down fine, out of the lock and begin to turn. HOW many rowing boats and outboard powered dingies!. I managed to miss them all using lots of (polite) hand signals and going very slowly and gently. Mind you with 70ft and 20 tons of steel to contend with they tended to give me a wide berth :lol:

The trip boat had done it before. straight past at speed missing everything easily.

We have easily done the Warwickshire ring (including the Ashby) in a week, but we would rather cruise than stay moored up. 3 weeks should be plenty to do it easily.

You could also fit in the old and new main lines if you fancied it. We loved mooring up outside the Black Country Museum and visiting from the Canal.

Mind you if you do that you get visitors to the museum asking if you do trips, and can they see inside the boat :lol:

Sue

You aren't a boater who can't let go of his knob are you? SWIMBO should be steering the boat and making you cool drinks whilst you work the locks.

Sue

Go on, you'll be trying to convince me to give her a turn wearing the Captain's hat next :lol:

Car's all packed. Dog's had a scrub behind the ears.... all systems GO!

Go on, you'll be trying to convince me to give her a turn wearing the Captain's hat next :lol:

Car's all packed. Dog's had a scrub behind the ears.... all systems GO!

NOOOOoooooo, she can't possibly have done anything bad enough for that fate surely :lol:

Edited by Mrs Tawny Owl

Does anybody know if the last bridge before the basin in Stratford is still realy low,iknocked the rear hatch handle off a hire boat last time i was there and we are heading there early august(dont want to damage the Farie).

Also who will we be passing for a beer???

We too were in Stratford in April. Had a very nice meal, with excellent beer, in the Pen and Parchment. So good that one of our crew (card carrying member of CamRA) was recommending it to every other boat we saw the following day!

If your in Stratford on Sunday you'll also have the pleasure of seeing the end of the Lions raft race. The first rafts down will be the 'super' rafts (built to go faster), hopefully two of ours, and then there will be a whole multitude of fun rafts, ie fancy dress etc.

Does anybody know if the last bridge before the basin in Stratford is still realy low,iknocked the rear hatch handle off a hire boat last time i was there and we are heading there early august(dont want to damage the Farie).

Also who will we be passing for a beer???

They haven't raised it :lol: I wouldn't moor and leave your boat near the pub before you get to the basin.

Sue

..............and it all looks very pleasant but the dark waters hide more than a few murky secrets that will grab your prop and scrape along your bottom!

Unless you have a more modestly draughted boat, where you will find that you bowl along nicely at true Grand Union speeds, with no depth problems.......

You are more likely to grate along something if your route into Birmingham takes you through Ashtead Tunnel, in our experience - very easy to take paint of grab rails!

We had done the Stratford route several times, because it is usually recommended over the Knowle route, but when we did finally do the latter, I didn't think it bad at all, (despite ascending Knowle in some of the heaviest rain we have ever boated in).

The Northern Stratford is pretty enough, but the W&B up from Kings Norton to Brum is not exactly the most interesting of waterways, unless you are a train spotter with an interest in electric multiple units!

It's certainly quieter the GU way, presumably because everybody recommends the alternative.