Can you hand pump waste??

Happy Guy

Featured Posts

Hiya,

I am on the verge of buying a boat with a dump through toilet, but my mooring is some distance from a pumping station.

Is it possible to manually pump the contents of the waste tank into jerry cans and to dispose of the waste at home (down my domestic inspection chamber)? I'm sure my wife would enjoy doing that job...

I realise that this is getting pretty close to having a chemical toilet... so perhaps I should just replace the toilet!

I suppose I would envisage using a pumping station from time to time to give the tank a good clean, but then pump manually just to keep levels down... if it's possible.

Many thanks for your opinions!

The reply is - yes you can

Have fun Sue

Thanks for all the opinions.... I should have known that a question about toilets would have prompted lots of debate! It was just an idea... Sorry if it seemed daft!!

Very sensible question and differing answers depending on the squeamishness of the people replying. I have seen a hotel boat using buckets to empty a pumpout that couldn't reach the elsan point.

Sue

Thanks for all the opinions.... I should have known that a question about toilets would have prompted lots of debate! It was just an idea... Sorry if it seemed daft!!

Very sensible question and differing answers depending on the squeamishness of the people replying. I have seen a hotel boat using buckets to empty a pumpout that couldn't reach the elsan point.

Sue

I have seen a hotel boat using buckets to empty a pumpout that couldn't reach the elsan point.

Me too

I've often wondered what the attraction of hotel boating is from the customers' point of view.

Gives them something to watch when the boat is not moving, I guess! :lol:

I have seen a hotel boat using buckets to empty a pumpout that couldn't reach the elsan point.

I've often wondered what the attraction of hotel boating is from the customers' point of view.

Gives them something to watch when the boat is not moving, I guess!

Or something to do when the boat is not moving? :lol:

Sorry for a moment there I thought this was a piss take...

You mean to tell us this was a serious question??

Or something to do when the boat is not moving? :lol:

Indeed.....

I somehow can't erase from my head the image of this beautifully painted hotel pair, where the motor is neatly sign-written with the name "Bucket", and the butty has "Chuckit" emblazoned across its rear end.

Sue

The sooner they ban self pumpout from elsan points the better. If you can't afford a pumpout buy a cassette

The sooner they ban self pumpout from elsan points the better. If you can't afford a pumpout buy a cassette

The OP has not said they cant afford to use the pumpout facilities just that they are a fair old cruise away. Until BW ban the use of self pump outs, as they have done at some sanitary stations, then boat owners are free to self pump out if they so wish.

Until BW ban the use of self pump outs, as they have done at some sanitary stations, then boat owners are free to self pump out if they so wish.

..and people who feel that the practice is unhygenic, messy, inconvenient for other users and quite disgusting are free to express that opinion, also.

The state that the people who pumped their shit at Cropredy Wharf, left the Elsan in, after keeping me waiting over 30 minutes, to empty my portapotti, is enough to convince me that they are a serious health risk.

Their crap was literally running down the walls, splashed on the ground, back to the water's edge and the elsan was blocked and full of their faeces and paper.

Elsan points are not designed to have that volume shoved down it, in one go, and should not be available to those who choose to have a pump-out toilet but are too tight, or lazy, to cruise down to a yard with the facilities to do the job properly.

Edited by carlt

The OP has not said they cant afford to use the pumpout facilities just that they are a fair old cruise away. Until BW ban the use of self pump outs, as they have done at some sanitary stations, then boat owners are free to self pump out if they so wish.

I would say that when OP says "An alternative to paying for pumpouts" it implies more than just can't be bothered to move my boat to a pumpout. I would read that to mean OP does not want to pay for a pumpout.

Elsan points are not designed to have that volume shoved down it, in one go, and should not be available to those who choose to have a pump-out toilet but are too tight, or lazy, to cruise down to a yard with the facilities to do the job properly.

I do not agree. Elsan Points should be improved to facilitate self pump out.

Nobody should leave such a mess though

I would say that when OP says "An alternative to paying for pumpouts" it implies more than just can't be bothered to move my boat to a pumpout. I would read that to mean OP does not want to pay for a pumpout.

I think I'd rather pay for a pumpout than do it myself... :lol:

Nick

Can't believe that anyone thinks BW should spend scarce money to improve Elsans for people who can't afford a self pumpout. Great idea instead of repairing locks etc we should spend the money to improve Elsans so people can spend half an hour pumping there waste into the Elsan!!

But isn't that the propblem? Once again a case of the minority spoiling it for the majority? If an Elsan point is in a disgusting state every time you visit it, it may only be one boater creating that filth, but that one inconsiderate boater is fuelling the argument for a ban of self pumpout.

Tony

..and people who feel that the practice is unhygenic, messy, inconvenient for other users and quite disgusting are free to express that opinion, also.

The state that the people who pumped their shit at Cropredy Wharf, left the Elsan in, after keeping me waiting over 30 minutes, to empty my portapotti, is enough to convince me that they are a serious health risk.

Their crap was literally running down the walls, splashed on the ground, back to the water's edge and the elsan was blocked and full of their faeces and paper.

We can all squark that self pump out "should not be allowed", however as things stand self pump out is allowed at elsan points other than the few places where BW have specifically disallowed it.

Personally i dont see why anyone would want to pump out themselves but the choice is theirs to make whether the rest of us like it or not. As for leaving the mess well thats just plain wrong but again not every self pump out user will do this and tarring them all with that brush doesnt help matters any.

We can all squark that self pump out "should not be allowed", however as things stand self pump out is allowed at elsan points other than the few places where BW have specifically disallowed it.

So should we not discuss the undesirability of something, just because it has not been banned?

How strange.

Whatever would the world be like if, every time someone had objected to something, the response was "well it hasn't been banned yet, so stop 'squarking' about it."

Where does the OP say that? Can you quote him?

So should we not discuss the undesirability of something, just because it has not been banned?

How strange.

Whatever would the world be like if, every time someone had objected to something, the response was "well it hasn't been banned yet, so stop 'squarking' about it."

No thats not what i am implying at all. Of course we should discuss the merits and pitfalls of self pumpout, however we shouldnt imply to the OP that it isnt allowed due to the fact that right now in most places it is.