Can you hand pump waste??

Happy Guy

Featured Posts

Hiya,

I am on the verge of buying a boat with a dump through toilet, but my mooring is some distance from a pumping station.

Is it possible to manually pump the contents of the waste tank into jerry cans and to dispose of the waste at home (down my domestic inspection chamber)? I'm sure my wife would enjoy doing that job...

I realise that this is getting pretty close to having a chemical toilet... so perhaps I should just replace the toilet!

I suppose I would envisage using a pumping station from time to time to give the tank a good clean, but then pump manually just to keep levels down... if it's possible.

Many thanks for your opinions!

Hiya,

I am on the verge of buying a boat with a dump through toilet, but my mooring is some distance from a pumping station.

Is it possible to manually pump the contents of the waste tank into jerry cans and to dispose of the waste at home (down my domestic inspection chamber)? I'm sure my wife would enjoy doing that job...

I realise that this is getting pretty close to having a chemical toilet... so perhaps I should just replace the toilet!

I suppose I would envisage using a pumping station from time to time to give the tank a good clean, but then pump manually just to keep levels down... if it's possible.

Disgusting!!!!!! maybe as you have a boat you should think about cruising down to nearest pumpout......

Hiya,

What about water? You will have to move to get to a water point?

How would you transport the jerry cans to your home? In the car? Sounds rather convoluted to me, even if the missus enjoys that sort of thing (insert German joke to taste :lol: ) How will you claen a poosible spillage?

Disgusting!!!!!! maybe as you have a boat you should think about cruising down to nearest pumpout......

Yes... disgusting ! - You need to have a container that has a large openable top.

Something like a 4 litre Ice cream container, or if you go away for more than a night or two, perhaps a beer-brewing bucket ?

The thing is you are sooner or later going to get a hard crust forming around the top if any bits are left to dry out and with the tiny opening of a jerry can, you won't have a chance of getting it completely clean, or even be able to see if it is clean, unless you go to the expense of a miniature closed-circuit TV camera, and even then you will have to adapt the mounting to get round all the corners and make up some sort of light for it as well... it's really a non- starter...

Far better to start with a more suitable container, like the beer brewer's bucket, or possibly a plasterer's mixing bucket. The trouble with that though is they usually don't come with a lid. You do need a tight-fitting lid, because you only need to knock it with your knee, on the way to the effluent station to empty it, or have a minor stumble and before you know it, you've splashed yourself.

Then comes the trouble of washing clothes, and the arguments with other family members who don't want their clothes washed with yours ( I am sure we have all been there) so that also becomes a nightmare....

There's more to this boating than meets the eye - however, someone has almost always been there before us, and this group is really helpful and knowledgable, so am sure any questions will get answered fairly quickly..

Nick :lol:

Guest wanted
Hiya,

Where are you based? some coal/diesel boats have pump outs as well, but I would think it would be best to incorperate the pump out and water take on as part of your boating. All the hassle that you will go through self emptying will not be worth the tenner saved.

Welcome and enjoy :lol:

Hiya,

I suspect it will become enough of a horrible chore to make you regret buying the boat after a while.

There are lots of boats for sale - consider buying one that doesn't have a pumpout loo?

You could always dump the dump through, buy a porta potti or cassette toilet and take your poo home in a container designed for the job.

You could hand pump into a spare cassette (not spare in your case as you haven't already got one, if you follow my drift) then it would be transported in a proper container. You retain the use of a p/o and some of the advantage of a cassette, smelly but only twice as smelly :lol: Just make sure you have a p/o every couple of months to keep the tank contents 'mobile'

Hiya,

Yes the above is exactly what the live aboards next to us on the mooring dispose of their waste. Rather than paying to pump out they transfer the waste into a few large screw top containers and then dump it down the drain at the farm.

The pump they use is a Patay double acting diapragm jobbie.

Yes the above is exactly what the live aboards next to us on the mooring dispose of their waste. Rather than paying to pump out they transfer the waste into a few large screw top containers and then dump it down the drain at the farm.

Have you ever asked them why they don't simply get a cassette toilet?

Tony

Are you sure it isn't a double-acting jobbie pump?

Have you ever asked them why they don't simply get a cassette toilet?

Tony

No but I will next time. I dare say a pump out system was installed in the boat when they bought it.

Are you sure it isn't a double-acting jobbie pump?

Could be good name for a pump company don't you think 'Jobbie Pumps' :lol: