Chertsey pics

Chertsey

Featured Posts

Here are two pictures of said funnel - it is the one from Bootes I believe (though don't quote me on that).

79.jpg

80.jpg

From what I have been told, that is correct. The divide in the funnel also gives weight to that.

Excellent Mark - I actually wondered if you could come up with something! It appears to be in BW blue and yellow - does this suggest it was Wilf Townsends? - or were other boats so fitted so late in the day?

Paul

Here are two pictures of said funnel - it is the one from Bootes I believe (though don't quote me on that).

79.jpg

80.jpg

From what I have been told, that is correct. The divide in the funnel also gives weight to that.

Was the funnel rigidly fixed to the e/room top? If so, by what means? If fixed, I suppose it could have been a source of headroom problems off the main GU routes. Would that have been one reason for their early demise?

The divider would I suppose stop any sort of Venturi ventilation effect, it would also mean little or no convection-aided ventilation from the heat of the exhaust pipe.

Tim

Was the funnel rigidly fixed to the e/room top? If so, by what means? If fixed, I suppose it could have been a source of headroom problems off the main GU routes. Would that have been one reason for their early demise?

I believe (but again don't quote me) that there was an upstand about 1-2 inch high on the cabin roof which the funnel slotted over. This was bolted/screwed through. You can see the holes at the bottom.

As I say though, do take this as being 100% correct and if anyone knows better I would be interested to know.

I will ask Malcolm when I see him.

Excellent Mark - I actually wondered if you could come up with something! It appears to be in BW blue and yellow - does this suggest it was Wilf Townsends? - or were other boats so fitted so late in the day?

Paul

You would be amazed at the rubbish I have floating around in my computer!

I was going to say it looks like GU two blues colour scheme. I will find out more about it.

Edit - the name Wilf Townsend does ring a bell in the back of my mind.

Edited by Speedwheel

I believe (but again don't quote me) that there was an upstand about 1-2 inch high on the cabin roof which the funnel slotted over. This was bolted/screwed through. You can see the holes at the bottom.

You'd need long thin arms to get the nuts onto the bolts :lol:

Tim

Excellent, thank you. Is the fleet number of Bootes (or whatever boat is was) is stamped on the funnel somewhere? GUCCCo put the fleet number on many parts of the boats I believe. At Camden Lock back in the '70s were some stands from the hold of a Town class boat which had fleet numbers on them (wish I'd noted them down :lol: )

Isn't it remarkable that we can sit at home (or wherever) in front of a computer, correspond in this way and verify history.

Steve

Laurence, can you come up with any GUCCCo plans that would shed any light?

Steve

Plans do exist showing the set up. they are in the NWM collection and show the trunking running up the corner of the engine room port side accross to the centre of B/H and forward to the vent. The toilet is a standard type as used on small vessels of the day. A look at a old Simpson Lawrence chandlery catalogue will soon find the stuff used. GUCCCo Ltd used "off the shelf" parts that were available easily. The toilet is also mentioned in the specification notes (NWM collection) on the new boats along with electric lights, headlamp etc. The company simply wanted boats better than the norm. I think its a shame that people seem so reluctant to consider the "Modern" approach used by GUCCCo, new style livery, "Modern" Liner style fittings all were part of the era, and there is enough evidence to prove that this all was done. The boat people didnt like change, hence modern fittings got removed or replaced, take for instance the fenders designed for these boats, seen on early photos but not on later ones! Its not just the bog that wasnt acceptable!

As I say though, do take this as being 100% correct and if anyone knows better I would be interested to know.

I will ask Malcolm when I see him.

You would be amazed at the rubbish I have floating around in my computer!

I was going to say it looks like GU two blues colour scheme. I will find out more about it.

Edit - the name Wilf Townsend does ring a bell in the back of my mind.

Wilf worked the "Barnet" with a funnel on according to David Blagrove.

I think this is true and the funnel slotted over it. The current fixing on "Barnet" is not of the original design, and yes you need long arms for the bolts!!

Well I wanted a GU boat because it was more modern than a josher. I wanted electric light and a modern hull and I thought Northwich boats the best looking.I can understand the boat people not wanting all the "innovations",theres plenty of modern stuff Im glad I havent got to bother with,dont blame anybody else for wanting them though,its personal choice.I wont be sporting a liner funnel any time soon,too much like a ship.Ok on Barnet though

In which case.... why is there no trace of that on a cabintop which otherwise seems to be original and sparked the whole discussion in the first place?

Chertsey definitely had such a funnel - I have (thanks to Laurence) a photo clearly showing it, but I can see no trace of it in this photo, despite the clear traces of the vent/exhaust holes. Indeed, there seem to be corrosion marks suggesting two separate flanges, which in turn suggests to me that both holes were in use even after the funnel went. Unless of course a redundant one simply had a plate bolted over it, which I guess is the most likely way it would have been dealt with.

Edited by Chertsey

In which case.... why is there no trace of that on a cabintop which otherwise seems to be original and sparked the whole discussion in the first place?

Chertsey definitely had such a funnel - I have (thanks to Laurence) a photo clearly showing it, but I can see no trace of it in this photo, despite the clear traces of the vent/exhaust holes. Indeed, there seem to be corrosion marks suggesting two separate flanges, which in turn suggests to me that both holes were in use even after the funnel went. Unless of course a redundant one simply had a plate bolted over it, which I guess is the most likely way it would have been dealt with.

Just guessing here -

the funnel would have needed to have drainage, maybe it was mounted to the two pipe flanges, ie above the level of the e/rm top, so that it wasn't in contact with the top plate itself?

Your original holes aren't both quite on the centre line. As the funnel is very slim, I wonder whether that meant that Chertsey's funnel wasn't quite straight? :lol:

Tim

Simple answer is I don't know. But I will see if I can find out.

Tims explanation seems possible.

Edit - Just been flicking through a few slides and there are a few of Asterope, being steered by Charlie Atkins, with a funnel on but unfortunately non of the pictures show the right bit!

Edited by Speedwheel

I was at Brinklow Boats today and had a chat with Steve Priest about these funnels. He showed me some discarded engine room lids and explained that there had been a large oblong plate riveted to the top including the area of the two outlets (chimney and elsan) almost back to the pigeon box - obviously with the holes cut through. This was held on by 6 rivets. To this was fixed a flange or brackets to take the chimney -presumably with some way of letting rainwater out. So if this plate has been removed so will the evidence of flange/brackets.

Mind you apparantly someone else refers to the extra roof hole as the "crane hole" suggesting the engine could have be lifted off its bearers if need be before the roofs were made removeable. So that sets the cat amongst the pigeons!

Paul

Mind you apparantly someone else refers to the extra roof hole as the "crane hole" suggesting the engine could have be lifted off its bearers if need be before the roofs were made removeable. So that sets the cat amongst the pigeons!

Paul

I did recently lift an RN through the exhaust hole in the roof of a Large Northwich - using a beam supported from the cabin handrail edges and an extended eyebolt - in order to repair damaged crankcase engine mounting studs.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

• 3 months later...

I've been speaking to Malcolm about the funnel tonight.

There were two separate circular outlets, the same as you would see on any normal exhaust, one for the exhaust and one for the loo. The funnel dropped over the two and was secured by bolts that screwed through the funnel and gripped the outlets. There are nuts welded to the inside of the funnel to thread the bolts through.

Apparently John Yates has the original fittings on Buckden.

Edit - does that make any sense? I knew what I mean't when I was writing it.

Edited by Speedwheel

• 2 months later...

I've been speaking to Malcolm about the funnel tonight.

There were two separate circular outlets, the same as you would see on any normal exhaust, one for the exhaust and one for the loo. The funnel dropped over the two and was secured by bolts that screwed through the funnel and gripped the outlets. There are nuts welded to the inside of the funnel to thread the bolts through.

Apparently John Yates has the original fittings on Buckden.

Edit - does that make any sense? I knew what I mean't when I was writing it.

And where did the other end of the toilet vent go? Did it just ventilate the entire space, or was it more specific to the loo?