Who is the painter?

Speedwheel

Featured Posts

Does anyone know who painted the stool below? I spoke to Laurence Hogg and he said that the stool and the painting is similar to one which he owned and was made at Charity dock and painted by Jess Owen. If anyone else has any ideas about who painted it, I'd be interested to know. Thanks.

Sarah

$(KGrHqYOKkYE2Lo4gVUBBNlvQrq05g~~_12.JPG

Sarah

That looks remarkably "Houghy" to me, but I'd need a closer look at the flowers, full on, to be sure. Not sure if you know, but Gail had a fall 2 wks ago and broke 2 bones in her right leg....I'm mainly workshop based with odd jobs away from home. Does Gray know?

Cheers

Dave

Gail had a fall 2 wks ago and broke 2 bones in her right leg....I'm mainly workshop based with odd jobs away from home.

Sorry to read about Gails tumble Dave. Please pass on our very best wishes and we hope she's up and about again soon.

Do you happen to know who the painter is in the picture?

Daveandempire.jpg

Cheers,

Terence

• 2 months later...

I saw this can on ebay with about an hour to go and didn.t think it looked anything special. It looks identical in design to the cans I used to have back in the 1980's !

I think the can is identical to the one I posted a picture of at the start if this thread but nicely painted. The painting looks a bit Tony Lewery-esk.

I think the can is identical to the one I posted a picture of at the start if this thread but nicely painted. The painting looks a bit Tony Lewery-esk.

I was about to say that it's maybe a style he tried to follow, possibly older, or someone else trying to follow him? You could always ask him ;)

The roses are very similar to some of his, the white borders on the leaves may indicate someone else. (Edit - the sprigs of Rosemary or whatever around the roses doesn't seem like Lewery's style). Also the 'roses all over' rather than different decoration on the spout and central band, though I should think most painters would do what the customer asked for in that regard.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

There were only 4 bidders necessary to bid the price up from an opening £30. 4 bidders who thought it was the work of Bill Hodgson I suspect - although I have no idea if it actually is. Reg Barnett's roses were a cruder copy of Hodgson's

I'm no expert but I do have a copy of Tony Lewery's book Flowers Afloat!

Paul

Edited by Paul H

I have just found my original copy of the "Waterways museum" booklet which featured a Bill Hodgson can on the front. The can on ebay is very, very much the same, indeed its so close to be unreal.

Here is the front cover:

gallery_5000_522_76897.jpg

Just been sold on eBay for £385! Soo who is it by and why so special?

can1.jpg

can2.jpg

I had been watching this can on ebay, I thought for a while it was 'under the radar' but the price started to go up rapidly yesterday. I think the can may be a Bulls Bridge one, the painting is very good knobstick style but not Bill Hodgson, I think it is probably by Reg Barnett. A nice can in seemingly good condition, very well painted, but still out of my price range. Imo the can on the front of the waterways booklet isn't Bill Hodgson, but I don't think it is Reg Barnett's work either

Joseph Ash supplied BW Bulls Bridge with cans and hand bowls. When I went to see them they had just finished making holloware and I had a look at who was in the order book, there were all the big names.

I had been watching this can on ebay, I thought for a while it was 'under the radar' but the price started to go up rapidly yesterday.

Yes I thought that too and was going to bid, but it went far to high for me.

Called into your place today after going down to Braunston, to have a look at France and meet CarlT, but couldn't see anyone around the yard.

Yes I thought that too and was going to bid, but it went far to high for me.

Called into your place today after going down to Braunston, to have a look at France and meet CarlT, but couldn't see anyone around the yard.

Are you getting me mixed up with Roger Farrington, I work at Brinklow!

Hi all

I've just picked this up. Having had a look at the pictures, I agree with Steve that it's more likely to be Reg Barnett than Bill Hodgson. Reg Barnett painted neatly and carefully, Hodgson more freely.This work is very similar to a cabin stool by Reg that I own - picked up in Birmingham a couple of years ago for £30. (I know - jammy sod!!)

I suspect the price paid means that the buyer thinks the can to be a Hodgson. Historic work is difficult to value. The problem is that there are buyers out there willing to pay big money for the stuff. Several years ago Phil Speight was after a Nurser can. It went to a customer of his at auction, who later said that he'd have outbid anyone to get it. I've paid a hundred or so for some historic stuff, but nearly £400 is stretching it a bit IMHO.

As an aside.....I'm currently looking after Phil's historic stuff as well as my own. If anyone's interested in looking/taking photos, you're welcome to get in touch.

Cheers

Dave

I have just found my original copy of the "Waterways museum" booklet which featured a Bill Hodgson can on the front. The can on ebay is very, very much the same, indeed its so close to be unreal.

Here is the front cover:

gallery_5000_522_76897.jpg

Just a note to say this was described as a "Trent & Mersey" decorated can and went to the museum in the 1960's when it first opened.