Who is the painter?

Speedwheel

Featured Posts

Below is a can I have sitting on top of the kitchen cupboards.

I know it is a fairly old can but can any of the paintwork gurus on here identify who painted it?

I have been given a possible name but would be interested to hear what others think.

Many thanks

Mark

RIMG0747.jpg

Hmm, looks a bit like my ex missus's work (Gill Hogg) dating from around 1979 ish, I still have the can off "Neptune" she did and there are similarities. The can looks like a Joseph Ash one from the Digbeth works.

The roses certainly have a distinct Braunston style to them, although not as well executed as any of the regular Nurser painters, but as already suggested, the daisies are distinctly amateur, and perobably added by someone else.

The blue can in the background looks as if it could be Ron Hough\\\'s work.

Whilst we are at it, does anyone know who painted this can?

bcan04a.jpg

bcan03a.jpg

Edited by David Schweizer

The roses certainly have a distinct Braunston style to them, although not as well executed as any of the regular Nurser painters, but as already suggested, the daisies are distinctly amateur, and perobably added by someone else.

Whilst we are at it, does anyone know who painted this can?

http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab174/d...pg?t=1275988741

http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab174/d...pg?t=1275989155

Where & when did you aquire the can in the 2nd photo?, it looks very similar to one of three I painted in IIRC 1967 but I can`t be sure & if any one is more sure as to the painter I have no problem with that

The other one is indeed Ron Hough.

The can was given to me Ian Tyler to whom it had been given by an old boatman.

The top of the can has also been repainted and is very amateurish. The name I was given as a possibility for the roses was George Crowshaw. I will get a picture of the matching handbowl.

It is in poor condition and I am considering having it repainted but wanted to check I wasn't going to be destroying something valuable.

Edit: That can of yours is beautiful David! - no idea about the painter though.

Where & when did you aquire the can in the 2nd photo?, it looks very similar to one of three I painted in IIRC 1967 but I can`t be sure & if any one is more sure as to the painter I have no problem with that

If that is your painting - how much do you charge?! (seriously)

Edited by Speedwheel

The other one is indeed Ron Hough.

The can was given to me Ian Tyler to whom it had been given by an old boatman.

The top of the can has also been repainted and is very amateurish. The name I was given as a possibility for the roses was George Crowshaw. I will get a picture of the matching handbowl.

It is in poor condition and I am considering having it repainted but wanted to check I wasn't going to be destroying something valuable.

Edit: That can of yours is beautiful David! - no idea about the painter though.

I am not convinced that it is George Crowshaws's work, his roses tended to have more petals, and a series of small petals to the back of the rose. Also as far as I can remember, none of the Frank Nurser trained painters painted veins on their leaves, just the yellow outward streaks from the centre of the leaf.

The can was purchased from a shop on the Farmers Bridge flight around 1967, but it was bought unpainted and painted about a year later.

My original question was a bit cheeky as I do actually know who painted it, I was just having a bit of fun seeing if anyone else also kwnew the name of the painter.

Only a half decent shot of mine, but a label beneath states 'Ray C Dunsford - Preston Brook'.

Whilst the can is not an old'un, I suspect mid seventies and I'm not enamoured by the black and red backgrounds, the confidence and regularity of the brush strokes looks to be quite professional.

Anybody Know this painter?

Watercan001Small.jpg

Derek

:lol:

No, but I have a Tilley Lamp almost identical to the one in your picture laying dormant out in my shed!

That particular model (X246B) is a poor relation to their Guardsman of pre-1957, and do not command any price. Nonetheless, when working correctly they give a bright light, and provided they are not overpumped, will last for years. All parts available. Pressure Lamps Itnl. spares UK: Base Camp.

My first was bought brand new in the late sixties for £5gns. Today they are £129, though Ebay will see them change hands for around £20 - £30, Car boot sales can sometimes see them go for less than a tenner. The Guardsman is a different kettle of fish - as are some of their very early lamps which can go for hundreds. The better quality Bialaddin/Vapalux M1's are £149, though check out Army & Navy for later models (new) at £45 (near the bottom - Vapalux M320).

Derek

Only a half decent shot of mine, but a label beneath states 'Ray C Dunsford - Preston Brook'.

Whilst the can is not an old'un, I suspect mid seventies and I'm not enamoured by the black and red backgrounds, the confidence and regularity of the brush strokes looks to be quite professional.

Watercan001Small.jpg

Derek

Ray Dunsford was a painter of everything frm baccy tin lids to traditional boatman's wooden spoons by way of cans, handbowls and stools. Some at least of his output went for sale to raise money for the IWA and other good canal causes. Other items he sold whilst boating extensiveley in the 80's in a 45'? boat called Albion. We first met him at Battlebridge and were rapidly persuaded to take Oak to Limehouse to make up the numbers for a London Ring trip the following day. Not sure of the year though- probably 83 because I think Blisworth was still shut.

He passed on some time ago I think, after a long period of illness.

N

Watercan001Small.jpg

Derek

Yes it is ...er.. Ray Dunford. (no r)

He was based around Little Venice for many years working opart time on the passenger boats and selling painted ware from the roof of his little boat "Merchant of Little Venice." (geddit) Later graduating to a larger boat which IIRC was called Duke Ellington. After suffering heart problems he retired to Preston Brook and concentrated on painting until he died in 1999. He was an early and prolific contributer to uk rec waterways and he is commemorated in a trophy for the best decorated boat at the Canalway Calvalcade.

Didn't know him very well but he was an all round great bloke and a better painter than your can would seem to suggest.

Paul H

Below is a can I have sitting on top of the kitchen cupboards.

I know it is a fairly old can but can any of the paintwork gurus on here identify who painted it?

I have been given a possible name but would be interested to hear what others think.

Many thanks

Mark

Its certainly in the Braunston style but I don't think it is from one of the old professionals, more like someone striving to immitate them. The roses look similar to those on a tunnel lamp I've got which was painted by Andy Ibbotson (sp?) who worked for Union Canal Carriers in the 1970s.

Why don't you PM Mr Speight?

Paul H

Edited by Paul H

Thank you gents - Dunford is probably correct, I tried to memorise the name and failed!

Sorry to hear he passed away - was he very old - I suspect not?

Derek

PS: I'll get some close up shots of the patterns next time I'm on't boat.

Edited by Derek R.

My original question was a bit cheeky as I do actually know who painted it, I was just having a bit of fun seeing if anyone else also kwnew the name of the painter.

come on then reveal :lol:

it looks like an FBS can and the style top and bottom is similar to Mary's work, the brown bits were also a popular colour used by her in the 80's

I am not convinced that it is George Crowshaws's work, his roses tended to have more petals, and a series of small petals to the back of the rose. Also as far as I can remember, none of the Frank Nurser trained painters painted veins on their leaves, just the yellow outward streaks from the centre of the leaf.

The can was purchased from a shop on the Farmers Bridge flight around 1967, but it was bought unpainted and painted about a year later.

Possibly thats what confused me as the 3 cans I obtained in 1967 to paint, we were contracting the gas line project at the time which we had to hang about quite a bit, so to pass the time I obtained 3 cans through Charlie Atkins jnr. who IIRC was living at the top of Farmers Bridge. In my O.A.P. brain fade state I thought that the can looked much the same as the cans I had. I did a deal with Chris Barney at Braunstone, exchanged for several fills of diesel

come on then reveal :lol:

it looks like an FBS can and the style top and bottom is similar to Mary's work, the brown bits were also a popular colour used by her in the 80's

All will be revealed in good time I am just waiting for Alan Fincher to wade in, I am sure he knows who painted it.

By the way what does FBS stand for?

All will be revealed in good time I am just waiting for Alan Fincher to wade in, I am sure he knows who painted it.

By the way what does FBS stand for?

No way - not my area of expertise at all!

(Foxton Boat Services)

No way - not my area of expertise at all!

(Foxton Boat Services)

I thought that I had told you who painted my cans.

Is it me, or you, that is suffering from "Senior" loss of memory?

(Not Foxton Boat Services)

Is it me, or you, that is suffering from "Senior" loss of memory?

(At least!) one of us it seems....

(Not Foxton Boat Services)

?????

Not my field of knowledge, I'll admit, but assumed the original referece to Mary and FBS related to Mary Matts ?

Foxton Boat Sevices ?

Yes Foxton Boat Services.

Watercan001Small.jpg

Derek

Hi Derek,

Thats a Bococks can from the early 1970's, quite a rare beast, most were not galvanised, just tin plate.

Hi Derek,

Thats a Bococks can from the early 1970's, quite a rare beast, most were not galvanised, just tin plate.

I've found;

"General Hardware, Stoves, Tinware, etc. also Mortgages, Loans, ... G. W. Bocock, M. D. Merchant and Real Estate. Estab. 1876. P.O. Matfield Green."

but that's in Kansas! Perhaps he had relatives in the UK whose later offspring produced tinware.

"162 High Street Poplar (Hill, dealer in tinware oil and colours) ...... Insured: Thomas Holbrook, Thomas Hill, Thomas Willett, James Bocock Holbrook and ..."

<h3 class="r">"1881 Census: Residents of Manchester Union Workhouse</h3>28 Feb 2008 ... Albert BOCOCK, U, 27, M, Pauper Inmate, Street Scavenger ......"

- any further details Laurence?

Added value: -

WatercanJune110015Small.jpg

WatercanJune110014Small.jpg

WatercanJune110013Small.jpg

WatercanJune110012Small.jpg

Discs and flicks. Surface preparation might have been better.

Derek

Edited by Derek R.