Who is the painter?

Speedwheel

Featured Posts

On 23/03/2019 at 22:07, Ray T said:

Both the castle and roses transfers were available from the museum at Stoke Bruerne, I bought some a while back. I don’t know if they still have copies for sale?

The Boat Shop at Braunston bottom lock has transfers: http://www.boatshopbraunston.co.uk/canal-transfers.html

• 1 year later...

Hi Rob

That looks mightily like the hand of Ian Kemp to me, didn’t he have a hand in Leo’s restoration? Or be completely responsible for it? If so, I wouldn’t be surprised that he decorated the cabin block. Ian has largely based his work on that of Frank Nurser, I can see many parallels.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, dave moore said:

Hi Rob

That looks mightily like the hand of Ian Kemp to me, didn’t he have a hand in Leo’s restoration? Or be completely responsible for it? If so, I wouldn’t be surprised that he decorated the cabin block. Ian has largely based his work on that of Frank Nurser, I can see many parallels.

Hi Dave, Ian was involved in much of the restoration work so I'll let the group know. Thanks.

• 1 year later...

Hello there, I just wanted to ask if anyone could please confirm who this water can is painted by? I’ve been told it’s by Frank Nurser but was hoping maybe Phil or Dave or someone else could confirm, would be much appreciated!

Many thanks,

Kenny

B05D9DE6-063F-43A4-9A3F-AE7679060553.jpegEFCF92D6-718A-4590-B78A-E0938F04F684.jpeg.518e188147ecafa6f61db665ac9e5d8f.jpeg

Edited by Kenny Selway

Thanks for that Rose Narrowboats. The owner of the can sent me this image of the sales invoice which came with it when he bought it, claiming it’s painted by Frank Nurser, but something was telling me to come and ask here! 

Thanks again,

Kenny8ED154D3-7F7E-4C7A-89DC-BADE4F545903.jpeg.e19222a8269b5770dd12452d4bd16b05.jpeg

Edited by Kenny Selway

• 1 year later...

Who might have painted the very battered water can, hand bowl and cabin block in these pictures? They are part of the display in the exhibition on canal boating in Loughborough. They are all on loan from the Leicestershire Museums service but no attribution is given.  To my eye the hand bowl looks relatively modern but i could be wrong. The exhibition organisors would like to know who might have done the painting.

Sorry about the quality of the photos but they are in display cabinets which makes taking photos difficult.

Thanks

Richard

IMG_6955.JPG

IMG_6959.JPG

IMG_6960.JPG

IMG_6961.JPG

IMG_6957.JPG

IMG_6958.JPG

Perhaps you could persuade them to relabel the items listed as "Bargeware"!

As far as I'm concerned that is bad enough to keep encountering on eBay, without actually finding it turning up in a museum.

• Greenie 3

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry can't help with a name but I have seen a water can on Instagram which looks to be by the painter of that gorgeous cabin block. 

Screenshot_20240328_092834.jpg.441b2a89f0ec7b99024b5d4adfd70017.jpg

At least it gives you an approximate date!

There is a can in flowers afloat (p15) in a similar style but no name is given for the painter. 

Screenshot_20240328_092907.thumb.jpg.170422885ec67ce7eb1aa3c2243f22c3.jpg

13 hours ago, Richard T said:

Bumped any thoughts @David Schweizer or @dave moore?

None of the items displayed suggest any painter known to me. The water can and dipper do not display the swift flair of a professional painter, and are probably the work of an amateur or a boatman. The cabin block is well excuted with hints of a northern style, but a bit too meticulously to suggest that it is the work of a dockyard painter. In conclusion, I suspect that, probably, none of them are the work of professional painters. Dave may not agree, but he is far more knowledgeable than me, Phil Speight may well recognise the painters, he hasn't posted on here for something like ten years but has facebook site advertising his painting courses.

Edited by David Schweizer

I’m sorry, but I can’t help with identifying the painter. I’m inclined to agree with David that it is probably the work of an amateur, possibly a boater, seemingly painted carefully rather than with the practised ease of a dock painter. It would appear that early work carried a wider variety of flowers than are usually painted today. Some of the other stuff on display looks much more recent and the crockery and mug seem to have been influenced by the Ann Young book.

I am pretty sure that the handbowl was painted by Bob Bush, and would probably date from the early 1970’s, the cabin block is well painted, and I would guess is fairly old, it seems to be less stylised than a lot of later work. I have no idea who painted it, or where it was painted though