Who is the painter?

Speedwheel

Featured Posts

• 6 months later...
30 minutes ago, Paul H said:

Well it’s been a while and I thought it was about time we had another “who is the painter?”

I’ve got my own ideas but I don’t want to “lead the witness!”

PaulFA2B4B84-6D1A-4BA5-90AF-6A7B877DD1B0.jpeg.8d4811256369c1dd88dd46b1c62b06d6.jpeg

Definitely Ron Hough. - Circa 1980 (confirmation of date awaited from Dave Moore or Phil Speight)

Edited by David Schweizer

It’s Ron, for certain. I’m wary of dating it precisely but it belongs to his earlier days when the painting was rather more detailed and with a certain “oomph” to it. I’ve examples here that are very similar in style, a couple of tea trays and a 3 gallon can with the paint so faded and worn that it’s barely discernible....but Ron, nevertheless!

1 hour ago, dave moore said:

It’s Ron, for certain. I’m wary of dating it precisely but it belongs to his earlier days when the painting was rather more detailed and with a certain “oomph” to it. I’ve examples here that are very similar in style, a couple of tea trays and a 3 gallon can with the paint so faded and worn that it’s barely discernible....but Ron, nevertheless!

Yes it can be difficult, but the roses are of a very similar form to some on a rotting panel I retieved from the front Cabin door on Helvetia, and they would have been painted in the early 1980's

3 hours ago, Paul H said:

Well it’s been a while and I thought it was about time we had another “who is the painter?”

I’ve got my own ideas but I don’t want to “lead the witness!”

PaulFA2B4B84-6D1A-4BA5-90AF-6A7B877DD1B0.jpeg.8d4811256369c1dd88dd46b1c62b06d6.jpeg

similar to this one which I was told was Ron's work

image.png.b1fc09bb771e6f871604b8cd2d018c76.png

1 hour ago, max's son said:

similar to this one which I was told was Ron's work

image.png.b1fc09bb771e6f871604b8cd2d018c76.png

I would confidently state that is not Ron's work, but looks like Braunston style. Dave Moore may have an idea of who's work it might be.

Having looked at previous posts, I’m minded to go with Steve on the supposed Ron Hough can. I had a cabin stool here for many years, ascribed to Colin Clarke, brother of the better known Dennis, with very similar flowers, though those in the photo are rather freer and flamboyant than those on the stool. If the Dav and Pen can is Ron’s, then it’s like no other examples of his work that I’ve ever seen.....all of us painters modify work over time, hopefully for the better.....I’ve photos of very early Ron that don’t reflect his attained skill, I wouldn’t dream of posting them here any more than I would of early work by now respected painters. I’ve seen lots of work, usually Braunston style, that can’t be tagged to a known painter....perhaps there was a production line to meet the souvenir market in the early days, several painters working stage by stage on one item...or are there as yet un-named hands still to be discovered? Your call....

3 hours ago, dave moore said:

Having looked at previous posts, I’m minded to go with Steve on the supposed Ron Hough can. I had a cabin stool here for many years, ascribed to Colin Clarke, brother of the better known Dennis, with very similar flowers, though those in the photo are rather freer and flamboyant than those on the stool. If the Dav and Pen can is Ron’s, then it’s like no other examples of his work that I’ve ever seen.....all of us painters modify work over time, hopefully for the better.....I’ve photos of very early Ron that don’t reflect his attained skill, I wouldn’t dream of posting them here any more than I would of early work by now respected painters. I’ve seen lots of work, usually Braunston style, that can’t be tagged to a known painter....perhaps there was a production line to meet the souvenir market in the early days, several painters working stage by stage on one item...or are there as yet un-named hands still to be discovered? Your call....

I  agree, whilst the painting could be described as "Braunston Style" and shares some of the characteristics of Ron's early work, the daisies and the leaves are completely different to any I have ever seen painted by Ron. Dav and Pen indicate a date of 1983 for the painting, but Ron's work had reached his recognised style many years before that. I have an old Stoke Bruerne Musem hand book published in 1972 for which Ron painted the cover, and the decoration is far more acomplished than that on the can. I will try and take a photo of the booklet and post it for comparison.

2 hours ago, Pluto said:

Just thought I would put this up to remind people what proper boat painting looks like. James just after launching at Riley Green in the early 1950s - a still taken from a short 8mm film.

That's some bright work right there ;)

More scrolls and less castles I say ...

14 hours ago, dave moore said:

Thank you Dave and others for confirming the painter of my can as Ron Hough.  It’s amazing how his style changed over the years and I much prefer his output of the 60s and 70s to which I think my can belongs.  You would expect his painting to have loosened up as the years went on but instead it seemed to get tighter and more sparse.  Was he reacting to the change to a predominantly souvenir rather than working boat market or were there health issues?  But he was still a master although I’ve never liked his castles. Sacrilege I know!

Max’s son’s can looks remarkably like the one below (pic stolen from the Nurser family website) which shows a can on Gort which is attributed to Dennis Clarke.  But I suppose it depends who’s doing the attributing!

Paul

25A650A0-A268-4652-B692-5EDE076EB2E5.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Paul H said:

Max’s son’s can looks remarkably like the one below (pic stolen from the Nurser family website) which shows a can on Gort which is attributed to Dennis Clarke.  But I suppose it depends who’s doing the attributing!

Paul

25A650A0-A268-4652-B692-5EDE076EB2E5.jpeg

This from Flamingo has been confirmed by several people as being Dennis Clarke's work.......

IMG_7069.JPG

16 hours ago, Dav and Pen said:

(This one definitely Ron’s 1983.

0DB0406E-71E8-4F94-8DC6-C837B5359143.jpeg

As chance would have it a copy of the Wateways Museum booklet, published in 1972, is currently on ebay, so I have pinched the photo. I think it demonstartes the unlikelyhood of the can being by Ron Hough.

BCN_NWM_07418.jpg.c709862408f6ae2737c727207f4423c1.jpg

I’ll own up - Dav & Pen’s can is my work.

Max’s son’s can is, I believe, the same one as Innes Catto bought for the Gort. I think he was told that it was Dennis Clarke’s work, he certainly believed that it was, hence it being attributed to Dennis on the Nurser website. I think, however, that it is not Dennis’s but is by his brother Colin, and yes Alan, most of the older painting on Flamingo is Dennis’s. Here is another example of Dennis’s painting that came from Water Ouzel when we reclad the cabin some years ago

ECCCF7CF-BD3F-4F60-BB40-1931F67708BF.jpeg.b6cb0297498943df43a893a8aa834c5f.jpeg

Whilst talking of some of the lesser known Braunston painters, let’s see what you make of this :-

87AC3B63-DA33-47BF-9FE8-57210FA1A6B7.jpeg.593f1931a15d203cd23e0862b9b5a012.jpeg

Steve. I know you did the back cabin but didn’t know you did the can was sure it came from Ron. Apologies to all. The one we had when we owned Crane was from Ron as I dealt with it and it’s in the loft at home. The can we had on Tadworth all those years ago was painted by my old friend Graham Palmer of wrg fame who was quite a talented painter.

here in France they don’t seem to go in for ancient folk art on their barges they prefer latest radar, AIS, powered hatch covers and cranes big enough to load the car. 

Regards dave

6 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

These were the doors on the Tadworth when we brought her, think they are the transfers bwb used no doubt someone will know.Later Simon Wain painted over them.

Were they painted white? :ninja:

Frank Jones Waterways transfer:

7703c2ba98b3212fce0b7e5b5600dad4.jpg

Edited by Ray T