Who is the painter?

Speedwheel

Featured Posts

Ron Hough.

I'm certain that it's Ron too.

Dave

Good, because that is what it was sold to us as!

Such a minimalist style compared to many of the current overblown offerings, (all "in my opinion" of course).

Odin? biggrin.png

It would appear not, Ray!

The cans not a "young un" either. That's a few years old probably a Joseph Ash or Bockock origin.

No definitely not a recent can, and showing a bit of rust inside.

It's a 2 gallon one by the way.

Definitely Ron Hough, One of his cans from a few years ago.

I don't have either of them at the same place to compare, but think the style may be very similar to that corn bowl you identified as Ron's work a year or two back.

He certainly changed his style over time, and I guess it is possible to approximately date a piece based on that?

I'm not sure this can immediately stood out to me, but with its provenance I thought I couldn't pass it by. I think it will grow on me more with time.

No definitely not a recent can, and showing a bit of rust inside.

It's a 2 gallon one by the way.

I don't have either of them at the same place to compare, but think the style may be very similar to that corn bowl you identified as Ron's work a year or two back.

He certainly changed his style over time, and I guess it is possible to approximately date a piece based on that?

I'm not sure this can immediately stood out to me, but with its provenance I thought I couldn't pass it by. I think it will grow on me more with time.

I could be wrong, but I suspect it may be one of the cans which Ron produced "commercially" some years ago, rather than for any specific customer, there is another one which is similarily painted in the London Canal Museum. Some of his more recent cans are more flamboyant, presumably at the request of the customer.

I could be wrong, but I suspect it may be one of the cans which Ron produced "commercially" some years ago, rather than for any specific customer......................

Yes, this seems likely to me.

I imagine he could produce a can like this quite quickly, particularly if painting a "batch" of several that were similar. I bet he didn't make a lot out of it, compared to the sort of money you generally seem to have to pay to acquire something like it now.

(Although I seem to recall from his obituaries that he was never that bothered about making a lot of money out of his art.)

Ron may have been more flamboyant to request but some of his earlier stuff is livelier and more detailed than later work in my opinion. I have stuff here by him from the 50s which bears that out. He was indeed a prolific painter but the sheer volume of work must have led to a " get it on quickly " mindset that is evident in his painting....rapid, spontaneous stuff. Having recently completed 6 cans and 3 handbowls for a customer, I certainly adopted that approach. I may be guilty in Alan's eyes of over egging the painting pudding, though photos of early work from the turn of the 20th century show cans with very little background left bare. I'll add some photos later.

Dave

I may be guilty in Alan's eyes of over egging the painting pudding, though photos of early work from the turn of the 20th century show cans with very little background left bare. I'll add some photos later.

Dave

Oh, my remarks were certainly not aimed at you, Dave!

Anyway these days I guess up to a point the customer knows what they want, and I suspect that is often a lot more than went on the typical cans of the 1950s & 1960s

Ron may have been more flamboyant to request but some of his earlier stuff is livelier and more detailed than later work in my opinion. I have stuff here by him from the 50s which bears that out. He was indeed a prolific painter but the sheer volume of work must have led to a " get it on quickly " mindset that is evident in his painting....rapid, spontaneous stuff. Having recently completed 6 cans and 3 handbowls for a customer, I certainly adopted that approach. I may be guilty in Alan's eyes of over egging the painting pudding, though photos of early work from the turn of the 20th century show cans with very little background left bare. I'll add some photos later.

Dave

I know you have said that before Dave, but the recent work he did for me is both detailed and lively, perhaps because I never asked "how much" before doing a job, and he knew I would always paywhatever he asked without question, he felt able to exercise his full artistic flair.

Somewhere on this forum are some photos of work he did for me, i will try and get a link,

Edited to add:- Post 155 of this thread (2nd Jan 2013) http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=30716&page=8

Edited by David Schweizer

Knowing that you knew Ron, I'm sure that he would have gone the extra mile for you David, without being asked. I've just unearthed a couple of bits of his work from the loft. The tray was painted in the 50s I think, and shows a more complex flower than were seen later.post-3041-0-73885700-1474299936_thumb.jpeg

The handbowl , though certainly old, shows a more simple rose. This is, I think, more typical of later work. I've other stuff here too, but a dicey hip means it stays at the back of the pile.

post-3041-0-73885700-1474299936_thumb.jpeg

Whether I'm correct here is for the others to decide. Over to you!

post-3041-0-45927000-1474300141_thumb.jpeg

Knowing that you knew Ron, I'm sure that he would have gone the extra mile for you David, without being asked. I've just unearthed a couple of bits of his work from the loft. The tray was painted in the 50s I think, and shows a more complex flower than were seen later.attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

The handbowl , though certainly old, shows a more simple rose. This is, I think, more typical of later work. I've other stuff here too, but a dicey hip means it stays at the back of the pile.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Whether I'm correct here is for the others to decide. Over to you!

Any chance you could paste the photos the other way up Dave, it is quite difficult to compare the roses when they are upside down!

If only I knew how, David...my IT skills aren't wonderful. Here is some more early Ron still floating in an historic boat.....attachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Well I suppose sideways is probably better than upside down, at least I can rotate my head through 90 degrees.

I would guess that is some of Ron's very early work, still displaying more Frank Nurser influence than his later work. The panel along side the door is not Ron's work though.

The bed flap flowers are the work of a very well respected boatbuilder, I won't identify him at the moment. As you say, I suspect early Ron on the table cupboard. Were he still with us, I can imagine his comments on this work, not sure they'd be printable here!

Dave

How did you do that Derek? I tried every method known to me (which isn't many!) but consistently failed. Anyway many thanks.

The roses on all three items are much looser than on Ron's later work, which may, of course, be the consequence of working quickly, and the daisies are, in my opinion, a bit messy, ulike his later ones, which are far more precise (and daisy like!). The examples also include those odd four petalled flowers which Ron stopped painting many years ago.I was never very keen on those, and wondered where he got them from, they are more like some of the 19th century Russian folk art than traditional boat decoration. Someone will now post an example of early boat decoration to proove me wrong.

As already mentioned, the castle, whilst of similar proportion and design to his later work, has far more scenic detail with no lake and boats, and is much more like some of Frank Nursers work, personally I rather like it.

The bed flap flowers are the work of a very well respected boatbuilder, I won't identify him at the moment. As you say, I suspect early Ron on the table cupboard. Were he still with us, I can imagine his comments on this work, not sure they'd be printable here!

Dave

And what do you think his comments about this poor effort would be?

P1080911.JPG

. . . . . . those odd four petalled flowers which Ron stopped painting many years ago. . . . .

They're Dog Roses, and I've seen them on other painter's work, . . . . Frank Jones and Frank Nurser.

I wouldn't describe them as odd looking, just Ron's version of them.

As for the table cupboard, above, he may have suggested it could be much improved by bringing the dark blue in to the centre of the panel.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

They're Dog Roses, and I've seen them on other painter's work, . . . . Frank Jones and Frank Nurser.

I wouldn't describe them as odd looking, just Ron's version of them.

As for the table cupboard, above, he may have suggest it could be much improved by bringing the dark blue in to the centre of the panel.

I must admit that I have not heard that term used before to describe painted roses. I have seen six or seven petalled flowers on some of Frank Nurser's work which I guess do bear some resemblence to the four petalled flowers that Ron used to paint. The following stool top is an example of Frank Nurser's work, are the two yellow flowers either side of the red rose what you call dog roses?

nurserw.jpg?w=896&h=520&crop=1

By the way I am not sure what you meant by bringing the dark blue into the centre of the panel

I must admit that I have not heard that term used before to describe painted roses. I have seen six or seven petalled flowers on some of Frank Nurser's work which I guess do bear some resemblence to the four petalled flowers that Ron used to paint. The following stool top is an example of Frank Nurser's work, are the two yellow flowers either side of the red rose what you call dog roses?

nurserw.jpg?w=896&h=520&crop=1

By the way I am not sure what you meant by bringing the dark blue into the centre of the panel

Dog Rose is just another name for a wild rose, and was what Ron called them himself.

Frank Jones and Frank Nurser generally only did them in red or yellow, which as far as I know aren't colours that occur in Dog [wild] roses, . . . I've only ever seen white ones, so in always making his white, I think Ron was technically the more correct.

Bringing the dark blue into the centre of the panel would prevent the castle power station from being seen rolleyes.gif

Edited by Tony Dunkley

Left click on the thumbnail image, this will bring the image up larger. (Although the tray remains small).

Then left click on the "SAVE" button in the lower right corner of the image.

Then right click on the image to bring up a menu.

Select "save image as", and a 'library' window will open up in which you can select somewhere to save that image, let's say 'desktop'.

Then left click the 'save' button in the bottom right corner. Your image will then appear on your desktop in the top left corner.

To rotate the image, right click on the image (it's quite small at this point) and select "rotate clockwise (or counter clockwise)". This will rotate the image through 90°. Do it again for another 90° and you will have inverted the image.

Then you can select the image for adding to a post.

This is how it works for me with Windows 7.

SNIP

I may be guilty in Alan's eyes of over egging the painting pudding,

Nonsense Moore. smile.png

Kim had her arty drama group round the house yesterday, a large bunch of luvvy coffin dodgers (and very nice people) and they all fell in love with your can after ignoring the R G Phillips stuff festooned on the walls.

Edited by mark99

Dog Rose is just another name for a wild rose, and was what Ron called them himself.

Frank Jones and Frank Nurser generally only did them in red or yellow, which as far as I know aren't colours that occur in Dog [wild] roses, . . . I've only ever seen white ones, so in always making his white, I think Ron was technically the more correct.

Bringing the dark blue into the centre of the panel would prevent the castle power station from being seen rolleyes.gif

Well it's nice to see you have not lost any of your historic tact and diplomacy! laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

Dog rose is a very common name round here for a wild single flowered pink/white scrambling rose. Often found in headgerows. Latin name Rosa canina.

That bit I knew but this bit I did not.

"The dog rose was the stylized rose of medieval European heradly".

Edited by mark99

• 2 weeks later...