Best boat at Crick Show?

Athy

Featured Posts

Does anyone know who built the wide-beam Hotel-barge ? and their web-site ? (if they have one)

Thanks,

Peter.

Milburn boats . . . . clickythingamajig

Was it very much like Gary's prices? :lol: (Sorry I had to ask).

You think I could get more hp from my engine with a 19" x 15" 4 bladed prop?

Hmm - - - the hp would be the same, of course - - but maybe the useable power might be more practical . .

I would have thought that 55hp (nominal) would be enough for most UK rivers (unless in spate) - - you're not planning on shooting the Rhine are you?

Now I like widebeams, but I gotta say the bow of that thing looks like a shed! :lol: Edit: But theyre right, it certainly stands out!

Hmm - - - the hp would be the same, of course - - but maybe the useable power might be more practical . .

I would have thought that 55hp (nominal) would be enough for most UK rivers (unless in spate) - - you're not planning on shooting the Rhine are you?

I'm only getting 2000 rpm which equates to 40hp

Edited by blackrose

Now I like widebeams, but I gotta say the bow of that thing looks like a shed! :lol:

I was trying to work out if it was the back or the front!!

Very nice fit out though....

Hello again Mike,

if you don't get up to the engine-manufacturers rev's, your engine is over-propped, probably to much pitch already which is often done for canal boats that never or only very rarely use maximum rev's. If you get a prop with less pitch, your engine may reach the specified rev's and has the 55Hp available at the prop, which should make a huge difference 55Hp instead of the 40Hp your getting now.

Peter.

Thank you very much for the information.

Cheers,

Peter.

Edited by bargemast

That wide-beam Hotel-barge is supposed to be based on a L & L shortboat, which it does high above the waterline but underneeth it looks more like a brick in comparison to the fairly nice rounded underwater shape of the bows of a real L & L shortboat. Still the inside doesn't look bad.

Peter.

Favourite boat at Crick has been announced as Oak Apple by Barn Owl a worthy winner, :lol: Built on a lovely hull.

I'm always dubious about a company that doesn't keep it's web site up to date -

The link to the Crick show on their home page refers to them exhibiting at Crick 2007.....

I'm always dubious about a company that doesn't keep it's web site up to date -

The link to the Crick show on their home page refers to them exhibiting at Crick 2007.....

Yes I noticed that, maybe they are busy........... and dont need the added publicity. We didnt go on board, but did venture on to Grace and Favours and found it very well made.

Hello again Mike,

if you don't get up to the engine-manufacturers rev's, your engine is over-propped, probably to much pitch already which is often done for canal boats that never or only very rarely use maximum rev's. If you get a prop with less pitch, your engine may reach the specified rev's and has the 55Hp available at the prop, which should make a huge difference 55Hp instead of the 40Hp your getting now.

Peter.

Thanks. I'll look into it when I come out the water next month, although to be honest I can't really afford a new prop at the moment.

Mike

Yes I noticed that, maybe they are busy...........

to change just 2 digits on their web site?

first impressions count - it's a thing I admit I get pedantic about...

to change just 2 digits on their web site?

first impressions count - it's a thing I admit I get pedantic about...

Yes but surely tolerance is sometimes king over pedantic... for example, NB "No deadlines" should surely be "No Deadlines" according to the Queens pure, as it relates to a title or name, a bit like writing your name as Martin smith as opposed to Martin Smith for example? :lol:

Yes but surely tolerance is sometimes king over pedantic... for example, NB "No deadlines" should surely be "No Deadlines" according to the Queens pure, as it relates to a title or name, a bit like writing your name as Martin smith as opposed to Martin Smith for example? :lol:

Considered both and chose the wrong one obviously.

But then I'm not in business trying to impress somebody and sell stuff....

The difference is somebody might see my display name and think 'what a numpty he doesn't do grammar properly and not read my posts, where as if you see a builder can't be arsed to update a simple aspect of their website for three years I always think what else can't they be arsed to sort....

The difference is somebody might see my display name and think 'what a numpty he doesn't do grammar properly and not read my posts, where as if you see a builder can't be arsed to update a simple aspect of their website for three years I always think what else can't they be arsed to sort....

But what makes you so sure that the builder didn't update their website because they couldn't "be arsed" and not because it was a simple oversight?

Surely if the said builder is going to go to the financial & logistical effort of displaying a boat at Crick then maybe they would have been bothered to do a two minute job on their website had it not been an oversight on their behalf?

Favourite boat at Crick has been announced as Oak Apple by Barn Owl a worthy winner, :lol: Built on a lovely hull.

I'm glad they won. They whipped the bell terret off the pigeon box so boat-pony Sunday could use it :lol:

But what makes you so sure that the builder didn't update their website because they couldn't "be arsed" and not because it was a simple oversight?

Surely if the said builder is going to go to the financial & logistical effort of displaying a boat at Crick then maybe they would have been bothered to do a two minute job on their website had it not been an oversight on their behalf?

I misrepresented the point I was making - an oversight - quite possibly, a bit like an oversight involving not connecting the inverter or oven properly.

To me the web site error (which is three years out of date) suggests a lack of attention to detail - that is the point I was (badly) making.

I misrepresented the point I was making - an oversight - quite possibly, a bit like an oversight involving not connecting the inverter or oven properly.

To me the web site error (which is three years out of date) suggests a lack of attention to detail - that is the point I was (badly) making.

Hence tolerance can sometimes be as effective as being pedantic :lol:

Hence tolerance can sometimes be as effective as being pedantic :lol:

Unless being tolerant results in your oven blowing up!

for example, NB "No deadlines" should surely be "No Deadlines" according to the Queens pure, as it relates to a title or name, a bit like writing your name as Martin smith as opposed to Martin Smith for example? :lol:

Don't know what you mean?? :lol:

How would being tolerant of a (likely) oversight on the website of the 2010 Crick winner result in an oven blowing up?

Well of course in actuality it wouldn't - it's about first impressions that is the point I am trying to make.

Assume - I've never been to Crick and I'm looking to buy a new boat and stumble across the builders web site (you see now I can't even remember their name).

I see a link to Crick 2007 and I think-

are these guys still in business

are they too lazy to change and update their web site

do they care about attention to detail

as I said earlier it's a personal thing and losing one sale from me probably won't bring the company down but if a few folks thought the same...

anyway heavy day tomorrow (with lot's of deadlines!!) so will bid you fare well!!

Well of course in actuality it wouldn't - it's about first impressions that is the point I am trying to make.

Assume - I've never been to Crick and I'm looking to buy a new boat and stumble across the builders web site (you see now I can't even remember their name).

I see a link to Crick 2007 and I think-

are these guys still in business

are they too lazy to change and update their web site

do they care about attention to detail

as I said earlier it's a personal thing and losing one sale from me probably won't bring the company down but if a few folks thought the same...

anyway heavy day tomorrow (with lot's of deadlines!!) so will bid you fare well!!

So... firstly there is your actualitiy from your earlier post as quoted above, by you, that is never going to happen.

Then you are asking me to "assume".

And you are sticking to supported facts?

I bid you a good evening too sir! :lol:

Thanks. I'll look into it when I come out the water next month, although to be honest I can't really afford a new prop at the moment.

Mike

It's too bad they don't give them away, but you may be able to find a secondhand one if you look around, and if not your pitch can be adapted slightly which will be cheaper then a new prop. (if your prop is made of bronze)

Good luck,

Peter.

Stuart who runs Barnowl is a good friend of mine and he's aware how out of date his website is, the guy who currently looks after his website charges a stupid amount of money for every update he makes to the website. Stuart has asked me to look into setting up a fully content managed website for him, so that he can keep the site upto date and at no extra cost. :lol: