Best boat at Crick Show?

Athy

Featured Posts

Snippity>> There was one widebeam there (can't remember the builder) with protruding steel rails around the bow and gunwhales. I'm all for innovation but I expect the bow rails would be bent in no time at all and I thought the rails over the gunwhale were dangerous as there was just enough space to get your foot stuck under the rail and trip over. Doesn't bear thinking about.

. . . . .

The builder is Elton Moss boats (AKA Northwich Boats)

Yes - you're right about the rails on the gunwales - - whilst they look very different - they could, under some circumstances - catch the edge of unsuitable footwear if one is dashing along the gunwales - - though I guess a short-term solution is not to wear unsuitable footwear . . .

The 'Bull bars' on the bow are a striking (sic) feature in stainless steel - - though they are but 2" proud of the bow - - - - - I guess they may get bent if the boat is used as a battering ram - though I'd hate to think what other damage the craft will sustain if these are to get bent . . . .

Here's an illustration from the builder's handbook:

Assyrian%20battering%20ram.gif

That aside - the boat will be returned to Mercia Marina later this week, whereupon she will be fully de-snagged ready for us to live aboard . . .

(NB ) - we first saw her as an 80% completed boat earlier this year - - and although there are some features we would not have incorporated had we originally specified her - we are happy with the final build quality.

I certainly take on-board your comments about the gunwale rails - - - but having determined that we're not likely to be boating in flip-flops or sandals - believe we'll manage - though care will, of course, be taken - always!

The builder is Elton Moss boats (AKA Northwich Boats)

Yes - you're right about the rails on the gunwales - - whilst they look very different - they could, under some circumstances - catch the edge of unsuitable footwear if one is dashing along the gunwales - - though I guess a short-term solution is not to wear unsuitable footwear . . .

The 'Bull bars' on the bow are a striking (sic) feature in stainless steel - - though they are but 2" proud of the bow - - - - - I guess they may get bent if the boat is used as a battering ram - though I'd hate to think what other damage the craft will sustain if these are to get bent . . . .

Here's an illustration from the builder's handbook:

Assyrian%20battering%20ram.gif

That aside - the boat will be returned to Mercia Marina later this week, whereupon she will be fully de-snagged ready for us to live aboard . . .

(NB ) - we first saw her as an 80% completed boat earlier this year - - and although there are some features we would not have incorporated had we originally specified her - we are happy with the final build quality.

I certainly take on-board your comments about the gunwale rails - - - but having determined that we're not likely to be boating in flip-flops or sandals - believe we'll manage - though care will, of course, be taken - always!

If this is the green and white widebeam it was very impressive on the quality of the joinery and if the rest is as good it will be an excellent boat. Have I got it right, this is going to be your boat? We liked it a lot even though ours will be a little more rustic.

If this is the green and white widebeam it was very impressive on the quality of the joinery and if the rest is as good it will be an excellent boat. Have I got it right, this is going to be your boat? We liked it a lot even though ours will be a little more rustic.

Aye -= - we are rather pleased (and very slightly excited to say) that is, indeed, our new home. . . .

The joinery is most competent - - the lads fitting it out are (I'm led to believe) all time-served joiners and cabinet makers - and although many have only been working on boats for a few years - they seem to have a eye for detail and I have to say I'm happy with it . . . . .

Well - - - bl**dy excited really! :lol:

Aye -= - we are rather pleased (and very slightly excited to say) that is, indeed, our new home. . . .

The joinery is most competent - - the lads fitting it out are (I'm led to believe) all time-served joiners and cabinet makers - and although many have only been working on boats for a few years - they seem to have a eye for detail and I have to say I'm happy with it . . . . .

We liked the shutters on the ports and the granite worktops. The wheelhouse joinery is superb, youve got a lovely boat there. I agree with Blackrose about the gunnel rails and thought them to be ankle or leg breakers good luck and enjoy your new home

Edited by soldthehouse

We think that the William Piper boat will do it again this year as overall favourite, we managed to get some nice interior pics if anyone wants a look.

The Stoke boat was very nice but a bit warm at £134K for 62' and yes... I went for the 67' SM Hudson tug as favourite boat in show (listens out for hisses and ready to dodge the rotten fruit soon to be making its way in his direction) closely followed by the William Piper, the better halfs first choice and then the Stokie.

I think this comes as a very high contender but heard that it had been withdrawn from the voting as having way too unfair an advantage...

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/159/050gf.jpg

:lol:

Didn't get onto the William Piper but would love to see internal pictures if you have them

Well I didn't see the inside but I'm sure it will make a great home. Congratulations!

What were the dimensions?

Well I didn't see the inside but I'm sure it will make a great home. Congratulations!

What were the dimensions?

Thank you old bean! :lol:

she's 60' with a 12' beam, draught 24" (at skeg), displacement of 32 tonnes

Steel 12, 6, 6, 4

75 hp Beta engine

12v / 240 volt with 3Kw Sterling inverter & 3.6 Kw Travelpower

her design is very similar on Gary Peacock's 'Ledgard Bridge' barges

Fit-out is in Oak-faced w/p ply & solid oak trim, with oak floor,

the collapsible wheelhouse is in mahogany with poly-carbonate & mahogany roof- all w/house windows are double-glazed

Caldwell aluminium hopper windows and portholes through the cabins, with double-glazing

Heating by Morso Squirrel and Webasto 9Kw . .

At some point I'll do some photies if anyone's interested . .

It's still that exciting we can't really believe we've achieved it! :lol:

Edited by Grace & Favour

Steel 12, 6, 6, 4

75 hp Beta engine

the collapsible wheelhouse is in mahogany with poly-carbonate & mahogany roof- all w/house windows are double-glazed

Caldwell aluminium hopper windows and portholes through the cabins, with double-glazing

PHOTOS PHOTOS

Forgive me G&F too wrapped up in my own excitement, do I take it you too have a new boat to celebrate,

it's a great feeling indeed.

As said before pics would be good.....

Forgive me G&F too wrapped up in my own excitement, do I take it you too have a new boat to celebrate,

it's a great feeling indeed.

As said before pics would be good.....

Hey - - Don't apologise - - I know just how wrapped up one wishes to be, me ol' mucker :lol:

I'll have to get photobucket sorted and get some pics loaded - - - -

Will do later today!

Cheeripips

Didn't get onto the William Piper but would love to see internal pictures if you have them

There you go Janet.

These were taken by the better half on the Sunday, I still like the look of the boat looking back at the pictures but what you don't get from them was the general feeling that the boat had which was very nice indeed....#

http://yfrog.com/b5wp1tj

http://yfrog.com/jqwp2wqj

http://yfrog.com/3vwp3j

http://yfrog.com/83wp4pj

http://yfrog.com/jawp5j

http://yfrog.com/16wp6yj

Steel 12, 6, 6, 4

75 hp Beta engine

I'm interested - just couldn't be arsed to queue up and put those overshoes on at the show.

How does it feel to know that half the boaters in the country have already wandered through your new home? I hope the builders gave you a decent discount!

I've calculated my boat's displacement at around 32 tonnes (57' x 12'). Yours is bigger and has a 12mm baseplate so I think it could well be at least 34 tonnes. Although mine has a 5mm thick coachroof.

Do you know the prop size by any chance? I spoke to a guy at the Beta stand about engine sizing because my boat is a little underpowered on rivers with its 55hp engine. However, he agreed that since the largest prop that could be fitted was 19" dia then I would be unlikely to get much extra power from a bigger engine and increasing the prop's pitch beyond a certain point would just result in greater cavitation.

There you go Janet.

These were taken by the better half on the Sunday, I still like the look of the boat looking back at the pictures but what you don't get from them was the general feeling that the boat had which was very nice indeed....#

http://yfrog.com/jqwp2wqj

Would you mind if i use this picture on my website untill i can get some better ones? (shame only one door was shut tho)

Bon

There you go Janet.

http://yfrog.com/3vwp3j

Love the look and feel of the Piper boat also love the idea of a range cooker on a narrowboat; but the above photograph illustrates that the position of the range may compromise the corner storage space (and indeed the usefulness of the work surface) between the edge of the cooker and the side of the boat (gumwhale?). I can understand why the range should be central but couldn't counterbalance weight be added to compensate for the weight of the range being positioned close to the side.

A similar situation occurred on our recent Middlewhich hire boat (Rohan) where two galley cupboards were in corners and that space wasn't utilised, just seemed a waste when space is at a premium.

As an aside, during our first week on Rohan we did the Cheshire Ring and popped in to see Braidbar out of interest. Thought we'ed only be 10 to 15 min's having a look round. One and a half hours later after looking at four boats in various stages of completion we came away very impressed.

Malcolm

I'm interested - just couldn't be arsed to queue up and put those overshoes on at the show.

How does it feel to know that half the boaters in the country have already wandered through your new home? I hope the builders gave you a decent discount!

I've calculated my boat's displacement at around 32 tonnes (57' x 12'). Yours is bigger and has a 12mm baseplate so I think it could well be at least 34 tonnes. Although mine has a 5mm thick coachroof.

Do you know the prop size by any chance? I spoke to a guy at the Beta stand about engine sizing because my boat is a little underpowered on rivers with its 55hp engine. However, he agreed that since the largest prop that could be fitted was 19" dia then I would be unlikely to get much extra power from a bigger engine and increasing the prop's pitch beyond a certain point would just result in greater cavitation.

Hi there,

You may well be right at 34 tonnes - - I certainly know that when I tried to lift it (after three pints of Black Sheep ale) I couldn't budge it! ( :lol: ).

Prop size I'll find out for you . . . is 21 x 15R P3B (three bladed)

And - do I mind having had a couple of thousand peeps through the door? - - No - - of course not

We made sure she was nicely clean and polished for the show - and the boat builder will make equally sure that everything is in order for her return (otherwise there'll be hell to pay!) :lol:

And, yes - - I think we bought her at a good price! :lol: (thanks)

Edited by Grace & Favour

Love the look and feel of the Piper boat also love the idea of a range cooker on a narrowboat; but the above photograph illustrates that the position of the range may compromise the corner storage space (and indeed the usefulness of the work surface) between the edge of the cooker and the side of the boat (gumwhale?). I can understand why the range should be central but couldn't counterbalance weight be added to compensate for the weight of the range being positioned close to the side.

A similar situation occurred on our recent Middlewhich hire boat (Rohan) where two galley cupboards were in corners and that space wasn't utilised, just seemed a waste when space is at a premium.

As an aside, during our first week on Rohan we did the Cheshire Ring and popped in to see Braidbar out of interest. Thought we'ed only be 10 to 15 min's having a look round. One and a half hours later after looking at four boats in various stages of completion we came away very impressed.

Malcolm

I tried to get over that problem on Cobbett by placing the Rayburn at a 22˚ angle to the worktop. It's given me two very usuable spaces behind and at the side. It's not finished yet but I'll try to get some photos today and show you what I mean.

Would you mind if i use this picture on my website untill i can get some better ones? (shame only one door was shut tho)

Bon

No not at all, you are more than welcome and please feel free to use whatever you need.

Good luck with everything too, lovely work from what we were lucky enough to see :lol:

Hi there,

You may well be right at 34 tonnes - - I certainly know that when I tried to lift it (after three pints of Black Sheep ale) I couldn't budge it! ( :lol: ).

Prop size I'll find out for you . . . is 21 x 15R P3B (three bladed)

And - do I mind having had a couple of thousand peeps through the door? - - No - - of course not

We made sure she was nicely clean and polished for the show - and the boat builder will make equally sure that everything is in order for her return (otherwise there'll be hell to pay!) :lol:

And, yes - - I think we bought her at a good price! :lol: (thanks)

I've just been on their website. Is yours the Kingsley Amis or the Hertfordshire widebeam?

I should imagine a 21 x 15 prop will be able to make use of the 75hp engine, though I'm intrigued at how they managed to fit that into what seems to be a reasonably shallow draught. You may actually find it needs a bit of ballast to get the uxter (counter) into the water in which case it will sit a few inches deeper.

Edited by blackrose

I've just been on their website. Is yours the Kingsley Amis or the Hertfordshire widebeam?

I should imagine a 21 x 15 prop will be able to make use of the 75hp engine, though I'm intrigued at how they managed to fit that into what seems to be a reasonably shallow draught. You may actually find it needs a bit of ballast to get the uxter (counter) into the water in which case it will sit a few inches deeper.

Hi Squire!

It's the forerunner to the Kingsley - (though there are some rather nice extras kitted out, such as double-glazing, oak shutters throughout, solid oak flooring, 95Kgf throwbuster)

Here's the link to the piccies: Grace & Favour

With regard to the draught - - we've already had her bottom wet - - and taken her on her first driving trial - - the Uxter sits about two inches in the water - and so far (within the Marina at least) handles well

the River Trent will be her first experience of rivers . . . . . .

Edited by Grace & Favour

Hi Squire!

It's the forerunner to the Kingsley - (though there are some rather nice extras kitted out, such as double-glazing, oak shutters throughout, solid oak flooring, 95Kgf throwbuster)

With regard to the draught - - we've already had her bottom wet - - and taken her on her first driving trial - - the Uxter sits about two inches in the water - and so far (within the Marina at least) handles well

I do like those steel bollards...

Hello Mike,

if you would end up with lots of cavitation because of too much pitch, you could have a 4 (or even 5) bladed prop to avoid that problem, only problem is that they cost quite a bit more.

Peter.

Hi Squire!

Hello Grace & Favour,

your boat is looking good (very much like one of Gary's) and seems to be very well fitted out, she will defenatly be a very nice home afloat with no lack of space.

Congratulations,

Peter.

Hello Mike,

if you would end up with lots of cavitation because of too much pitch, you could have a 4 (or even 5) bladed prop to avoid that problem, only problem is that they cost quite a bit more.

Peter.

Hello Grace & Favour,

your boat is looking good (very much like one of Gary's) and seems to be very well fitted out, she will defenatly be a very nice home afloat with no lack of space.

Congratulations,

Peter.

Thank you Peter . . . . and, yes, you're right - - she's very much like one of Gary's - (which is exactly what I wanted in the first place)

Thank you Peter . . . . and, yes, you're right - - she's very much like one of Gary's - (which is exactly what I wanted in the first place)

Was it very much like Gary's prices? :lol: (Sorry I had to ask).

Hello Mike,

Peter.

You think I could get more hp from my engine with a 19" x 15" 4 bladed prop?