What runs yours?

old_git

Featured Posts

I have just bought a boat which has been used as a live aboard in a marina, it has a Beko domestic washer which was used with shore power.

As I will no longer be in a marina, what type of generator will I need to run it? Very confused with all the options, from £1100 for a Honda with inverter technology,(do I need this to run a washer?), down to basic machine at £200.............Any help most welcome!

I have just bought a boat which has been used as a live aboard in a marina, it has a Beko domestic washer which was used with shore power.

As I will no longer be in a marina, what type of generator will I need to run it? Very confused with all the options, from £1100 for a Honda with inverter technology,(do I need this to run a washer?), down to basic machine at £200.............Any help most welcome!

If I were buying another generator I'd probably go for a Kipper mastersine 2000. At £380 it looks like a good deal to me - that is if it really does produce a pure sinewave.

I have a Honda EU30is petrol generator but the washing machine doesn't like it very much. It's very odd, sometimes the washing machine recognises the waveform of the generator after about 5 minutes, but this morning I ran the generator for 2 hours (running the battery charger etc) before the washing machine finally decided to be friends with it. It seems to make no difference what other equipment I run. I always thought electrics were black and white - either it does work or it doesn't but there's certainly some strange sh*t happening on my boat!

If you have a small washing machine (1.6kw power draw), you'll only need something like the Honda EU20 or the Kipper I already mentioned.

Are you aware of the hazards of carrying petrol and also the carbon monoxide risks and the earthing issues with generators?

We use a Kipor 2kva sinewave, runs everything we have but when using w/m we use Kipor through Victron Multiplus. Kipor, like the Honda, will only supply 2kva for 30 mins,

continuous output being 1.6kva. So if w/m exceeds 1.6kw when heater is on and only running off Kipor/Honda Digi then maybe a 3kva model would be better. I can't tell any difference between Kipor and Honda, same spec, same volume, I've run them side by side, in fact I suspect it's just a Honda with a different colour casing :lol:

Washing machines are very fussy.

- They typically count the waves to time each cycle as i understand it, as hence are fussy on waveform.

- Then they drop a 2-3kW resistive load on all of a sudden half way through the cycle (heater) which can temperatally screw the wave cycle.

Daniel

We use a Kipor 2kva sinewave, runs everything we have but when using w/m we use Kipor through Victron Multiplus. Kipor, like the Honda, will only supply 2kva for 30 mins,

continuous output being 1.6kva. So if w/m exceeds 1.6kw when heater is on and only running off Kipor/Honda Digi then maybe a 3kva model would be better. I can't tell any difference between Kipor and Honda, same spec, same volume, I've run them side by side, in fact I suspect it's just a Honda with a different colour casing :lol:

I'm not sure about that. What sort of warranty do you get with a Kipper? There's a reason Hondas have a 5 year warranty.

Will your Kipper run the washing machine without the Victron? My Honda will (but only just!) Having said that, once the washing machine (Zanussi 1300ZWC) recognises the Honda it's fine - never misses a beat. It's just that it's a bit tempramental about how long it's going to take until it decides to recognise it - could be 5 mins, could be 2 hours, but it always gets it going in the end! I don't have a Victron multiplus so I need the generator to run the machine by itself.

If you wash at 40 deg C you're unlikely to draw 1.6kw from a small washing machine where that's the maximum draw because most machines will have a higher temperature setting.

Edited by blackrose

By Kipper do you mean Kipor?

If so, there is no comparrason between a Kipor and a Honda.

Honda is quality and Kipor is chinese and that means you get what you pay for.

Cheap is as cheap does.

Cheap is as cheap does.

That's why I call them kippers :lol:

But if they can do the job then they are good value - you could buy 4 for the price of a honda!

Edited by blackrose

Cheap is as cheap does.

I don't know for certain that a Honda is better quality than a Kipor, what do you base that on? It can't be just because it's Chinese as most quality goods are made in China anyway, mobile phones, cameras etc.

I'm not sure about that. What sort of warranty do you get with a Kipper? There's a reason Hondas have a 5 year warranty.

Will your Kipper run the washing machine without the Victron? My Honda will (but only just!) Having said that, once the washing machine (Zanussi 1300ZWC) recognises the Honda it's fine - never misses a beat. It's just that it's a bit tempramental about how long it's going to take until it decides to recognise it - could be 5 mins, could be 2 hours, but it always gets it going in the end! I don't have a Victron multiplus so I need the generator to run the machine by itself.

If you wash at 40 deg C you're unlikely to draw 1.6kw from a small washing machine where that's the maximum draw because most machines will have a higher temperature setting.

Sorry can't recall Kipor warranty period but could the reason for a Honda 5 year warranty be the fact that as it's so expensive and therefore such a large profit margin they can afford to? I wonder if a Honda costs the same to manufacture as a Kipor? Made in China possibly? Just a guess :lol:

Never tried Kipor with on it's own with a w/m, but I would think it will perform the same as the Honda, that is only just able to cope, that's why I suggested the 3kva model

40 deg C wash will still take the same current as a 60 deg but for a shorter time as it uses the one heating element I believe. Our w/m takes 2kw.

Edited by nb Innisfree

I don't know for certain that a Honda is better quality than a Kipor, what do you base that on? It can't be just because it's Chinese as most quality goods are made in China anyway, mobile phones, cameras etc.

We had a Honda motorcycle that went on and on forever. I think it's the warranty you pay for, you can send it back to Honda to be serviced whenever you like, they can replace any worn parts, meaning it should last decades.

If the OP wants a Honda - they are cheapest in Costco (About £850), but you will need to get membership.

I know for certain that Honda are better then Kipor. There have been loads of posts over the last few years on the forum talking about problems with Kipors. I can't recall too many people having problems with Hondas.

40 deg C wash will still take the same current as a 60 deg but for a shorter time as it uses the one heating element I believe. Our w/m takes 2kw.

Not on my machine it doesn't - I tested it on my AC power meter and it used about 1340w on the 40 deg wash and 1600w on the 60 deg wash.

I use a launderette. It saves a lot of trouble.

Sue

Really? :lol:

Before I had my washing machine used to go to the laundrette and I assure you it was a lot more time & trouble - and a lot more expensive.

Thanks for all the replies......do it take it that no one has run a washer on a straightforward genny? ie no inverter technology?

If the generator has inverter technology it should run a washing machine, but if it's just a real cheapo generator forget it.

If the generator has inverter technology it should run a washing machine, but if it's just a real cheapo generator forget it.
But on the flipside, a no inverter genny should also work, and infact maybe better,

No inverter based gennys have less tight control over output voltage and frequency as this varys with engine speed fluctionations during transients (loading and unloading) but due to their mechanical nature and enertia the wave form is more roubust.

- Ie, while voltage/frequency might be a bit varying, the wave form should been fairly solid and easy to count.

- Assuming it doesnt shut down to self-protect when the voltage gets to 300vac as the heater drops out!

Bigger the genny the less the loading/unloading will effect. Inverter or otherwise.

Daniel

Yes, we have had the discussion of kippors vs hondas. All I'm going to say is I sold my kippor and am happily honda'd up.

If the w/m has an old style clockworky type control it may not require sine inverter cleverness. Digital control does require this.

You could ask a loan of a bog standard genny and try it. (My candy aqua failed on this).

Really? :lol:

Before I had my washing machine used to go to the laundrette and I assure you it was a lot more time & trouble - and a lot more expensive.

£5 for the Launderette per wash - How much for a washing machine and invertor/generator?

Sue

• 3 weeks later...

Some gennys might be DC and have an invertor to make that into your 110 and 230v ac

Others are AC. We had a lister petter 5KVA site gen and it ran all kinds of tools which could be on and off all day with no problems.

If the inverter wave form isnt stable enough it wont support digital equipment.