Images loaned to me by a true boating gentleman

Featured Posts

Since moving to Braunston I have met and talked to lots of people involved in the canals and their boats. Aubrey Berriman worked at Nursers for 27 years, first for Nursers, then Barlows, and finally Blue Line. He is a qualified boat builder (Wooden) and was responsible for Raymond – the original that is, not its successor. Most of his pictures have gone but he still has some which he has allowed me to copy and show. Some are boats, some are of Braunston Marina.

I will spread them out a bit and try to add some of the history as Aubrey tells it, hopefully others can fill in some of the gaps and add to the information. The first ones we think date to the early 1960`s and were in fact negatives that Aubrey had never been able to get printed. Modern computers and scanners make this far easier than it used to be.

Marina1a-Braunston001-lightened.jpg

Marina 1 - ariel view from the south, Building right foreground is the Ship pub, to its right is the remains of the railway embankment, the layby in front of the pub was the route used by high vehicles to get under the railway bridge.the buildings in the centre are the dry docks much as they are today, to the far right is the fender shop, todays marina office. the long building running North South is the rebuilt Nursers open sided build shop, used then for building fibreglass boats. buildings left foreground including the B&B are much as they are today. Beyond that the white wall tops what was the stables, long since filled in.The Stop house is evident in the distance as is the mill, without a dome. The picture pre dates Nichols and Dave Harris`s units.

Pic 2 Similar view but from a bit further west

Marina2-Braunston-northeast-lighten.jpg

• 8 years later...