Travel power, how does it work?

Bodkin

Featured Posts

Afternoon everyone

I’m a relatively newbie boater and am after some help!

I’ve spent lots of time googling and have also looked around the forum searching under all the different permutations I can think of and don’t seem to have found the answer to the question so apologies if there is another thread somewhere that I’ve missed!

We bought our first nb and have been liveaboards since October last year and we have learnt a lot since then about how everything works (although there is still a lot more to learn!).

Our boat was second-hand, but only 18 months old and it came with lots and lots of equipment. One thing we have never got to grips with is the 3.5kw Electrolux Travel Power. How do you get it to work? :lol:

I understand that it is effectively a generator for use when the engine is running and it supplies 240v power so we can run the washing machine, hairdryer, microwave etc whilst the engine is running.

We tried this last night – with the engine running we switched the travel power on and the green light came on. A little unsure of whether the inverter should be switched ‘on’ or to ‘charge only’ we tried both and nothing seemed to make any difference – we put the microwave on and the battery indicator showed the same reduced level as it normally does when we put it on – no sign of the travel power taking any of the strain at all.

Have we missed something?

We were moored up with the engine running – does that make a difference?

Afternoon everyone

I’ve spent lots of time googling and have also looked around the forum searching under all the different permutations I can think of and don’t seem to have found the answer to the question so apologies if there is another thread somewhere that I’ve missed!

We bought our first nb and have been liveaboards since October last year and we have learnt a lot since then about how everything works (although there is still a lot more to learn!).

Our boat was second-hand, but only 18 months old and it came with lots and lots of equipment. One thing we have never got to grips with is the 3.5kw Electrolux Travel Power. How do you get it to work? :lol:

I understand that it is effectively a generator for use when the engine is running and it supplies 240v power so we can run the washing machine, hairdryer, microwave etc whilst the engine is running.

We tried this last night – with the engine running we switched the travel power on and the green light came on. A little unsure of whether the inverter should be switched ‘on’ or to ‘charge only’ we tried both and nothing seemed to make any difference – we put the microwave on and the battery indicator showed the same reduced level as it normally does when we put it on – no sign of the travel power taking any of the strain at all.

I too am even newer on boat electronics - - however - I've learnt that the engine will need to be running at 'cruising speed' in order for the Travel Power to be generating anything like your desired 3.5 Kw . . .

(on our engine/gearing that will be something like 1800 RPM)

Anything less than that and you're not generating 3.5 Kw

Thanks both for the speedy responses :lol:

I'm afraid I have another couple of questions:

1) Does the engine have to be in gear at cruising speed or could I take it up to the suggested 1800 RPM whilst out of gear (i.e. when moored up)?

2) What should the inverter be set to, 'on' or 'charge only' ?

Thanks again

Edited by Bodkin

Thanks both for the speedy responses :lol:

I'm afraid I have another couple of questions:

1) Does the engine have to be in gear at cruising speed or could I take it up to the suggested 1800 RPM whilst out of gear (i.e. when moored up)?

2) What should the inverter be set to, 'on' or 'charge only' ?

Thanks again

Quick question re your original problem with the apparent lack of output from the Travel Power. Do you also have a 'source' selector switch somewhere that allows you to choose what powers the mains circuit, ie choice of inverter or TP? If you have, was it switched to TP? Just a thought as one of my previous boats had just such an arrangement.

Roger

Quick question re your original problem with the apparent lack of output from the Travel Power. Do you also have a 'source' selector switch somewhere that allows you to choose what powers the mains circuit, ie choice of inverter or TP? If you have, was it switched to TP? Just a thought as one of my previous boats had just such an arrangement.

Roger

Hi Roger, I've had a look and can't see anything that might be the source selector switch you mention - most things in the boat appear to be in an obvious place so I'm thinking that is there was one I would have spotted it..... (but not ruling it out so will keep looking)

... and, which inverter is it? (I'm wondering if it's a Victron Multiplus or similar)

Tony

Hi Tony, yes it is a Victron Pheonix Multiplus 3000w..... it's in a cupboard in the cabin and always switched to 'on' and then we have a smaller control panel in the main cabin, which has the same switch and 'dashboard' and indicator lights as the inverter unit (e.g 'inverter on', mains on' etc) and we use that to switch the inverter on day-to-day (hope that makes sense)

Sarah

Hi Roger, I've had a look and can't see anything that might be the source selector switch you mention - most things in the boat appear to be in an obvious place so I'm thinking that is there was one I would have spotted it..... (but not ruling it out so will keep looking)

Hi Tony, yes it is a Victron Pheonix Multiplus 3000w..... it's in a cupboard in the cabin and always switched to 'on' and then we have a smaller control panel in the main cabin, which has the same switch and 'dashboard' and indicator lights as the inverter unit (e.g 'inverter on', mains on' etc) and we use that to switch the inverter on day-to-day (hope that makes sense)

Sarah

Is the control panel like this? If so what setting is the dial at?

002.jpg

Afternoon everyone

:lol:

Hi

Lucky you the travel power is a great piece of kit

If it was installed corectly you will get plenty of power at 1000 revs you will never need more than 1200 revs even on full load, mine will run the washing machine, tumble drier or dishwasher etc on tickover or a couple of things together at 1200 revs.

You can do it moored up or cruising.

You will have a selector switch somewhere unless it has a bit of kit fitted that detects it is running and utilises its power.

You dont need the inverter on.

when the green light is on it is producing proper lectric things, without it on it will still work but not at full capacity.

Mine has been fitted for 8 years since boat was new and done a lot of work in last three years.

Hope this helps

Regards

Tim

Edited by mrsmelly

002.jpg

Follow the cables from the box with the illuminated switch. One set will go to the mains alternator, and the other set will probably go to a switch of some type, ie isolator/change over.which looks like its switched off.

Colin

It's possible that TP output is connected through Victron and shorepower dial is set too low, basically not switching power through from TP i.e. up to 16amps can be dialled in from TP to augment Victron 3 KVA. If TP output is wired like this then Victron will always need to be on to switch power through from TP (Victron generator support would need to be enabled for this to work - in fact this could be why TP isn't being switched through) If remote control panel has no dial then settings would have to be made via dip switches in Victron or by computer connected with data cable.

Edited to add more info :lol:

Edited by nb Innisfree

Hi Sarah, nb Innisfree has already given the same answer I was going to :lol: Firstly, the Multiplus must be switched on, and secondly the Shore Power knob needs turning all the way up to 13A.

Let us know how you get on.

Tony :lol:

Hi Sarah, nb Innisfree has already given the same answer I was going to :lol: Firstly, the Multiplus must be switched on, and secondly the Shore Power knob needs turning all the way up to 13A.

Let us know how you get on.

Tony :lol:

Further to Innisfree and Wotever's suggestions, I've just recently found out how easy it is to dislodge the knob from the Victron control panel. It's only pushed in and clicks home. If it has become dislodged in the past and someone has replaced it (it's only on a spline with no master spline) then it can be replaced in a position that bears no resemblance to the correct current setting. Just check that when the knob hits the zero-end end stop that it is actually reading zero. Getting a bit far fetched now but could give a falsely high apparent input current setting without actually passing the current. I discovered this possibility only this week on my own new build which is Victron equipped.

Roger

002.jpg

Yes that's it! :lol:

Thanks Innisfree & Tony

I hadn't even thought of looking at the the shorepower dial. Unfortunatley I'm at work at the moment but the minute I get back to the boat I'll take a look at what it's set at - from memory I suspect it's set lower than 13A so this could be the issue.

So if I turn the shoerpower dial up to at least 13A put the inverter switch to 'on' and of course switch the travel power on (!), I should see the 'mains on' light come on as in the above picture?

Thanks again :lol:

Yes that's it! :lol:

Thanks Innisfree & Tony

I hadn't even thought of looking at the the shorepower dial. Unfortunatley I'm at work at the moment but the minute I get back to the boat I'll take a look at what it's set at - from memory I suspect it's set lower than 13A so this could be the issue.

So if I turn the shoerpower dial up to at least 13A put the inverter switch to 'on' and of course switch the travel power on (!), I should see the 'mains on' light come on as in the above picture?

Thanks again :lol:

Yes that's right, but though the remote panel overrides the dip switch settings in the Victron I am unsure if that is so as regards generator support enable/disable, it doesn't say so in the manual, so this may have to be enabled via dip switches or data cable before dial works. Power is switched through whether you are switched to 'on' or 'charger only' If TP output setting on dial is exceeded then Victron will suspend battery charging and augment power from batts until load reduces

The advantage of this type of setup is being able to use 3.5 kva from the TP plus 3 kva from the Victron, handy if you need microwave and w/m and electric toaster at the same time!

Victrons are great :lol:

Edited to add: The dial will also control the amount of charge going into your batts from Victron when using TP to charge them, it will range from zero up to the max set in the Victron, again this is set via dip switches or data cable, default setting is 75% of total Victron charging output i.e. setting dial at 16 amp will equal 75% of max output. Providing you have a large enough battery bank you can set it to max.

Edited by nb Innisfree

not on mine. Mine works in neutral.

I don't think that's what he meant. Cruising type rpm but out fo gear so that you don't cruise or put too much stin on the mooring pins or damage the bank...

We have a travelpower and a Victron combined charger/inverter.

We find:

There is no need to rev the engine above idle to have it working, the Victron is only 1200 watt but the washing machine works fine if the Travelpower is on.

If you switch from the Victron middle position to "charge only" nothing happens for about 15 secs then the yellow charge only light comes on as it would do if you had plugged into shore power - a positive sign that the travelpower is producing AC voltage. Same with switching up to the inverter position - the green will change to yellow if the batteries need charge but again a delay between switching and the yellow appearing. When we go cruising we keep the travel power on as we find the batteries charge up more quickly.

Our boat is an Aqualine Manhatten but I'm not au fait with how the interaction between Travelpower, the domestic and engine alternators is set up I'm afraid.

Mick

Mine too is fine at idle.

We don't have the Travelpower, but do have the Victron with the remote panel as the photo.

The dial in our case limits the current draw from the a.c shore supply - however, we have found that with a 5A shore supply MCB, unless the dial knob is set to around 2 amps max, the shore supply MCB will kick out, suggesting the dial is not calibrated very accurately - we did have it tripping out every time we left the boat initially, so tried it on another MCB on the post, with the same results, so drew the conclusion its the calibration that's out.

The max charging current is set to 75% by default inside the Victron on DIP switches - this is to protect smaller capacity banks from being charged too heavily when on boost. 75% of 120 amps is 90 amps, and batteries should be charged at about approx 15% to 20% of their capacity in amp hours, so our 480 aH bank should be charged at between 76 amps and 96 amps max. when on boost charge, so the 75% setting is just inside that. You can reduce the charge rate by turning the knob down and watching the DC current going in to the bank also going down as the draw from the a.c. supply is limited further - the ratio is about 20:1, so if you see 80 amps on boost, approx 4 amps is coming from the a.c. I also set outs to limit it at 60 amps as a further "insurance" for it to "not trip".

Nick

I don't think that's what he meant. Cruising type rpm but out fo gear so that you don't cruise or put too much stin on the mooring pins or damage the bank...

I turn my engine on, my travelpower works. No cruising rpm required.

But it's always great to see a misapplied rolleyes :lol:

• 7 months later...

Follow the cables from the box with the illuminated switch. One set will go to the mains alternator, and the other set will probably go to a switch of some type, ie isolator/change over.which looks like its switched off.

Colin

Hi,

From what I have read I have exactly the same set up and I have a change over switch on the engine control panel, it has position I, off (switch in upright position) and position II, the switch has to be in position II

However, I am new to this forum and I have a problem regarding my own travel power in that neither the green or red light are on. I have flollowed the manual instructions without success, does anyone know who can repair the Travel power?

Hi,

From what I have read I have exactly the same set up and I have a change over switch on the engine control panel, it has position I, off (switch in upright position) and position II, the switch has to be in position II

However, I am new to this forum and I have a problem regarding my own travel power in that neither the green or red light are on. I have flollowed the manual instructions without success, does anyone know who can repair the Travel power?

Hi

I am gonig to the pub know but if you are iterested message me and I will give you my tel number and you can ring me and I will talk you thro what to check. I also have details of a very good company who ca n repair/service the whole caboodle if need be hope this helps.

Regards

Tim

Hi

I am gonig to the pub know but if you are iterested message me and I will give you my tel number and you can ring me and I will talk you thro what to check. I also have details of a very good company who ca n repair/service the whole caboodle if need be hope this helps.

Regards

Tim

Hi Tim,

Yes I am interested, but working abroad at moment, back in UK (and on boat) Friday 14th Jan 2011

Cheers, Kev