Where to go?

sueb

Featured Posts

As we are north of Watford Gap we are a bit lost. We have to be in Liverpool in a months time. I foolishly said we would go to Chester via Liverpool. We are now on the Weaver but where to go next? Hubby is concerned about bandits but my only worry is Tescos. Any advice welcome.

Sue

As we are north of Watford Gap we are a bit lost. We have to be in Liverpool in a months time. I foolishly said we would go to Chester via Liverpool. We are now on the Weaver but where to go next? Hubby is concerned about bandits but my only worry is Tescos. Any advice welcome.

Sue

Unless you intend to go onto the Ship Canal and then across the Mersey Estuary, you need to get on the T&M, then the Bridgewater and then the Leeds Liverpool Canal. It's not going to take you anything like a month though. There are nice villages on the Bridgewater, like Moore, Grappenhall, Lymm and Little Bollington/Dunham if you want to dawdle. Stockton Heath is ok overnight too.

As for overnight moorings on the approach to Manchester I would say that beyond Little Bollington on the Bridgewater the next best mooring would be Worsley, unless you make a detour to Castlefield where you could stay a few days and explore Manchester. After that there are moorings at Astley Green, Dover Lock, Crook, Parbold, beyond which you are getting towards Liverpool and I've not gone that far by boat yet.

Edited by journeyperson

Sue

On Weaver

Tescos or the like is at Northwich and its quite safe to moor there.

Avoid Winsford - so i've heard- overnight.

If you then go back to Chester -

We moored at the chinese - the long boat behind tescos but not too close to the woods. Lots of unsavourys hang out there during the day. Worth wile a trip to Ellesmere port if youve not been there b4.

Back on T and M

Middlewich is lovely. and shops

The wides are good or bramble cutting for bbq.

Acton bridge is pretty nice cheap meals at pub on weaver

we like to stop at bridge 211 - lovely view of dutton lock and swans nests

Bridgewater

take a trip down to Runcorn. BMBC Club is near the bottom of the arm and is open fri sat nights and sun lunch. All welcome to stop empty loo fill up water and have a chatter. Shops 15 min walk.

Stockton Heath shops nice pubs etc

Lymm bridgewater house where mathew corbert lives (Sooty) nice shops and foody pubs.

Dunham massy - good walk with deerpark

Sale - shops moor on pub carpark kings ranson

Waters meeting - turn right to manchester I love it. We moor very happily in potato wharf next to YMCA/Campinalle. If the boat hobit kicks off tell him to go away. Nice pub - commercial on lpool road. free bus into town. Lots of shops and you can walk to Maplins by the ship canal. We enjoyed a walk up the locks to a small shopping retail park at easter. or can get tram to lowery

Back on mainline

Tank - Barton aquaduct - pretty but I think it looks a bit rough

Worlsey club open wed night

Worsley - lovely but posh not many pubs left noisy at night

Boothstown - big pub never been but dear i've heard

Astley green - worth a stop to see old mine

Leigh - great for shoppings and aldi on canal. never stayed the night there but i believe its ok on the aldi side

Plank lane - shuts at 6ish

Dover Lock - nice pub

Wigan - most people stop on the b waterways base. we didnt stop there its a bit wild

Leeds Lpool

we liked the slipway pub

didnt stop much else up there because of the rain

say hi to Deb on Tickety Boo near rufford branch

didnt really like the eldonian village that much.

We had no trouble and saw no bandidts.

Liverpool is fab!!

We went up Radio city tower - open on thurs and sat for a tour

Have fun x

Sue

Oh and look out for us x

Leigh - great for shoppings and aldi on canal. never stayed the night there but i believe its ok on the aldi side

Avoid the pub food on the wharf next to Aldi. A big disappointment! However, just across the car park is a curry house where three of us ate for £21 :lol:

Thanks for the replies especially Cosy Toes. We are going across the Mersey and along the Ship Canal to Chester when we get to Liverpool. We just seem to have got to Anderton a bit early so thought we could look at this part of the world. The Weaver is lovely we went to Western Point as we did Winsford a few years ago and I wouldn't bother going again.

Sue

Cosy toes where are you? pm if you prefer

Hi Sue

That trip sounds wonderful. I wouldn't be keen to cross the Mersey in our little boat, its very fast and big looking. What date is the crossing I would love to watch from The Wirral where I live? There are a few in our club who are crossing at the end of June (something to do with the IWA festival at Chester). I may take the day off work to watch them.

Our boat is at Runcorn and we are in the Bridgewater Motor Boat Club. It is well worth a visit. We have fantastic facilities and lots of fun people.

We went to Liverpool last summer and the trip was worthwhile and enjoyable. There are many pretty villages along the way and its not busy. The final leg to Liverpool from bridge 9 (were you have to wait for the BW guys) and the eldonian village was a long day of sitting around and as I said previous there was something I really didn't like about the eldonian village. Apparantly you don't have to wait anymore that leg is done in one day and you are safe in the dock and can explore. We treated it like a proper holiday even though we could have been home in 20 mins on the train. We did loads of touristy things and it was fun. If you can book afternoon tea in the Panama Restaraunt you would be able to see the boats in the dock (you might need a loan from the bank though!!). We did doughnuts in the Albert Dock and bystanders cheered!!! It was agreat experience. Look out for the Sunday morning swimmers they actually make the boat rock! Our dog wasnt keen on the city as there was no grass nearby, she kept sneaking off!!

Anderton is a great mooring - lots of gongoozelers. Apparantly the Anderton visitor centre is free next week.

I forgot to mention the pub at Darsbury - ring'o bells. There is a church next door worth a look. Pub is dear.

We went on the Weaver last year and also went to Runcorn past ICI and the other factories which was interesting. I do like the Weaver.

Antway hope to see you about x

Sue

Cosy Toes

Hi Sue

That trip sounds wonderful. I wouldn't be keen to cross the Mersey in our little boat, its very fast and big looking. What date is the crossing I would love to watch from The Wirral where I live? There are a few in our club who are crossing at the end of June (something to do with the IWA festival at Chester). I may take the day off work to watch them.

Our boat is at Runcorn and we are in the Bridgewater Motor Boat Club. It is well worth a visit. We have fantastic facilities and lots of fun people.

We went to Liverpool last summer and the trip was worthwhile and enjoyable. There are many pretty villages along the way and its not busy. The final leg to Liverpool from bridge 9 (were you have to wait for the BW guys) and the eldonian village was a long day of sitting around and as I said previous there was something I really didn't like about the eldonian village. Apparantly you don't have to wait anymore that leg is done in one day and you are safe in the dock and can explore. We treated it like a proper holiday even though we could have been home in 20 mins on the train. We did loads of touristy things and it was fun. If you can book afternoon tea in the Panama Restaraunt you would be able to see the boats in the dock (you might need a loan from the bank though!!). We did doughnuts in the Albert Dock and bystanders cheered!!! It was agreat experience. Look out for the Sunday morning swimmers they actually make the boat rock! Our dog wasnt keen on the city as there was no grass nearby, she kept sneaking off!!

Anderton is a great mooring - lots of gongoozelers. Apparantly the Anderton visitor centre is free next week.

I forgot to mention the pub at Darsbury - ring'o bells. There is a church next door worth a look. Pub is dear.

We went on the Weaver last year and also went to Runcorn past ICI and the other factories which was interesting. I do like the Weaver.

Antway hope to see you about x

Sue

Cosy Toes

That is the trip we are doing there are 30 of us in convoy. We won't be in Liverpool long as we were given the 9th or 20th and hubby chose 20th. We are expecting problems with our dog but as we go out at 4:30am he will probably be asleep. I will pm you the name of our boat.

Sue

We transited the L'pool link last month.Absolutely fantastic. we slept over

at Melling stone bridge 5mins from the Bootle Arms(food and real ale)

The next morning the BW guys were at bridge 9 about 9-10 in the morning

we came straight thro mooring up in Salthouse dock about 12-45. the facilities

are good, electric cards are available from the harbour master or the Yellow Duck Co

office (in the same area by tourist info office), the rubbish is picked up from the pontoons each morning,

water available on the pontoons, you can empty your cassettes but its a bit of a

walk (ask BW guys) the mooring are safe and ideally placed for the city,book the

full 12 days you will need it and not regret it (extra days at £20 each)

For info passage is for a Max of 8 boats a day

In passage days Wed,Fri,Sun

Out passage days Thurs,Sat,Mon

No passages Tues

Edited by Ian B

Hi Sue

That trip sounds wonderful. I wouldn't be keen to cross the Mersey in our little boat, its very fast and big looking.

The Mersey is more fun further up!

:lol:

It's not as wide. Or as deep.

Dsc07646.jpg

Dsc07650.jpg

Dscn1055.jpg

(P.S. I took two of those photos and appear in the third!)

• 2 weeks later...

Ian B,

Are you sure that electric cards are available from the yellow duck folk?

We are going in Aug. just waiting for the reply from BW and it would certainly be useful to get a card from them.

Colin

Ian B,

Are you sure that electric cards are available from the yellow duck folk?

We are going in Aug. just waiting for the reply from BW and it would certainly be useful to get a card from them.

Colin

If you have an address you can get the cards sent from customer services Watford. We got ours from Anderton. Hopelessly difficult to obtain if you are moving.

Sue

Hi sueb,

Thanks for that. It's just that I'm in West Africa waiting to join my ship and I thought it might save a bit of hassle once I get home. At least I should have a few days before we start cruising to get one.

Colin

Whoopee!

I got the confirmation email from BW Wigan today and we are booked in at bridge 9 on 18th. Aug. and will be there 8 days.

We have loads of friends in Birkenhead where I used to live so no doubt there will be a beer or three enjoyed in Salthouse Dock.

We intend to do the 4 counties ring ACW this year, we did it CW last year on our way to Liverpool but we never made it past Scarisbrick due to a family bereavement. So here's hoping this year.

If you see us on the cut, give a wave. I usually fly the Lion Rampant from the tiller.

Happy boating.

Colin

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone

We have just been over to Salthouse Dock for a nose of the boats and boaty people who are there. We had a lovely evening nosing and nattering. They all looked like they were having a good time.

There is so much to do whilst you are in the dock. I hope people who go are making the most of it.

Many of them are off across the Mersey on Sunday night. I am hoping to pop to Eastham to see them coming across and take a few pics.

Have lots of fun. (I am so not jealous!!!)

Sue

Hi everyone

We have just been over to Salthouse Dock for a nose of the boats and boaty people who are there. We had a lovely evening nosing and nattering. They all looked like they were having a good time.

There is so much to do whilst you are in the dock. I hope people who go are making the most of it.

Many of them are off across the Mersey on Sunday night. I am hoping to pop to Eastham to see them coming across and take a few pics.

Sue

We are still on our way. Going down the flight Sunday. It leaves less time to change my mind.

Sue

Hi everyone

Sue

We are still on our way. Going down the flight Sunday. It leaves less time to change my mind.

Sue

Hi Sue

I managed to get some lovely pictures from Eastham. I saw you sneak in on the left to get to the front!!! Ha ha only joking. x

I waved to the boats like a crazy women and not one person waved back.

Typical

Sue

Hope you enjoyed yourselves x

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Sue

I managed to get some lovely pictures from Eastham. I saw you sneak in on the left to get to the front!!! Ha ha only joking. x

I waved to the boats like a crazy women and not one person waved back.

Typical

Sue

Hope you enjoyed yourselves x

Hi cosy,

We don't care how crazy or otherwise folk appear, we always wave back......lol

If you see us in August you will be guarenteed a wave back.

Happy waving.

Colin