Condensation on Houdini

Doug the Tug

Featured Posts

I will be getting my new boat in a few weeks time. As there is a Houdini in the galley, I was wondering how to stop condensation forming overnight and falling onto the wood floor.

I am most concered about this happening when we are away from the boat for a couple of weeks and a substantial amount of water forming. Of course this may not be a problem when away from the boat as we are probably the main source of the condensation in the first place.

Any useful tips?

A canvas cover lined with insulation was our chosen method.

Seems to defeat the object of having a houdini hatch? Unless you're just putting the cover on when you're away and at night.

In my opinion even if the rest of the windows are single-glazed, a houdini hatch is the one window on a boat that should be double glazed. Why they're still making them single I don't understand.

I will be getting my new boat in a few weeks time. As there is a Houdini in the galley, I was wondering how to stop condensation forming overnight and falling onto the wood floor.

I am most concered about this happening when we are away from the boat for a couple of weeks and a substantial amount of water forming. Of course this may not be a problem when away from the boat as we are probably the main source of the condensation in the first place.

Any useful tips?

Just place something on the floor to collect the drips......

as you say though if you aren't in the boat less chance of condensation surely...

We put our Houdini over our shower java script:add_smilie(":lol:","smid_7")

Sue

What's a "shower java script:add_smilie" Is it one of these.... ? :lol:

Edited by Gibbo

Dont know what you lot are doing aboard but our hatches dont drip with condensation :lol:

The main one is located above the saloon table so any drips would be noticable. Good ventialtion is the key.

All Phylis' 'drips' are seated round the saloon table . . . .

G&F meanders off in search of cover & tin hat . . . .

We got some twinwall polycarbonate (the sort of thing that you make conservatory or greenhouse roofs from) and simply cut it to the exact size with a Stanley knife then glued it to the opening frame with evo-stick. That meant the frame was double-glazed and the window is triple-glazed. That cured it!

• 2 weeks later...

I've got Gebo, but I guess the same thing. 2mm perspex panel with magnetic tape round perimeter. Mag tape around deckhead (ceiling for landlubbers!) to match. Once perspex is up, no condensation. Also have thin wood frame with mosquito screen and again held in place with mag tape for summer ventilation.