Noisy Water Pump

Featured Posts

Hi

I have a Shurflow Water Pump fitted on my narrowboat.

It seems pretty noisy to me and I was told by the Chandlers that it is an economy pump and whilst all pumps create noise I could perhaps reduce the noise by investing in a dearer version by an other manufacturer!

What do you think? Do you have a quiet water pump and is there such a thing as a silent pump?

I do understand that the siting of the pump can be a factor too.

Thanks for your opinions on this one.

Hi

It seems pretty noisy to me and I was told by the Chandlers that it is an economy pump and whilst all pumps create noise I could perhaps reduce the noise by investing in a dearer version by an other manufacturer!

What do you think? Do you have a quiet water pump and is there such a thing as a silent pump?

I do understand that the siting of the pump can be a factor too..

Even the so called quiet pumps are noisy! Boxing it in with sound absorbing foam, mounting the pump on rubber and using flexible hose to connect to the plastic pipe work are good options.

Link to a enclosure box example: http://www.soundservice.co.uk/pump_noise.html

Edited by Robbo

Even the so called quiet pumps are noisy! Boxing it in with sound absorbing foam, mounting the pump on rubber and using flexible hose to connect to the plastic pipe work are good options.

Link to a enclosure box example: http://www.soundservice.co.uk/pump_noise.html

Hi Robbo

Many thanks and a good link that has given me some ideas.

The pump was mounted on a chipboad floor and I had put a sponge mat underneath the pump thinking that would make a big difference but reading the link it requires several layers of solid base sandwiched with noise insulation material.

I will do some more DIY.

Cheers

We can't really here ours because the sound is drowned out by the cold tap running or the gas boiler if its the hot tap. If you can hear the pump running when all taps are turned off, you may have a problem!

We can't really here ours because the sound is drowned out by the cold tap running or the gas boiler if its the hot tap. If you can hear the pump running when all taps are turned off, you may have a problem!

Hi

Thank you for reply. We have no problems with the pump when all taps closed.

The problem is that it was fitted under a cupboard and is like a machine gun when it activates. Just wondered if there was a quiet pump on the market ?

Cheers

Hi

Thank you for reply. We have no problems with the pump when all taps closed.

The problem is that it was fitted under a cupboard and is like a machine gun when it activates. Just wondered if there was a quiet pump on the market ?

Cheers

Ah! It may have been mounted in such a way that the sound is amplified. Ours is free to float slightly on its rubber mounts and the board to which it is mounted is also cushioned with its own rubber feet. Also our pump is connected with sections of flexible hose - each curled into single spiral shape to prevent vibration (sound) being transmitted through the pipes.

• 5 years later...

Hi

I do understand that the siting of the pump can be a factor too.

Thanks for your opinions on this one.

Phew!!! thank goodlyness for this post, as after having my similar pump all connected up last week, and after turning on the taps..

to be greeted by the sound of a hundred, mice dancing the Wheel tappers & Shunters clog dance in steel bottomed boots in my cupboard..... moi nearly did an Osain Bolt onto the rear welldeck wacko.png ok!!! maybe only 50 mice ...but if was flipping loud cool.png

now it can be fixed to ensure harmony rules blush.png

I've always had Surflo pumps with no particular issue, though mine is sited under the well deck I can hear it. However I like to hear it, that way I can tell if it is running OK and more importantly you can hear if it's cycling on and off, indicative of s leak.

Phil

I've always had Surflo pumps with no particular issue, though mine is sited under the well deck I can hear it. However I like to hear it, that way I can tell if it is running OK and more importantly you can hear if it's cycling on and off, indicative of s leak.

Phil

Same here

Phil

And another vote for the noisy water pump. I too considered quietening the pump but when I found my toilet bowl topped up with water and just about to overflow having heard the pump kicking in unexpectedly I changed my view!

Not sure what make our pump is but it is not massively noisey. The only problem is the fact that it is situated under the bed , swmbo gets a nice wake up call at 4.30

in the morning when I am getting ready for work and running the tap.