London Canal Museum

Featured Posts

Not a huge amount there, but what is is nicely done.

Very (very) much better than Stoke Bruernr, in my opinion, which looks very tired by comparison.

If they are not using their mooring you can moor directly outside the LCM whilst paying a visit.

London Canal Museum.

Not come across this place before - is it worth a look?

It is well worth a visit but as one of the Trustees I would say that!

If you are around next Friday/Saturday we are participating in the Museums at night scheme, details at:

http://www.canalmuseum.org.uk/whatson/index.html

Tim

We have on occassion paid the £8 to moor at their mooring overnight and have popped in a couole of times for a look round. Both times they've had interesting temporary exhibitions on in addition to the regular exhibits. If you're on the area or planning to moor in KC overnight it's worth popping in and possibly also worth using their mooring. :lol:

hello all

I come from a long line of canal boatmen, seven generations of them, i was born a london girl on dry land.

I have visited several times for different exibits e.c.t. & have found it great esp for learning how my ancesters lived & worked.

the exibits change reg so allways somthing new to see & its the only one this end of the world except for ricky show, the south dont seem to be so proud of

their canals as the north.

regards

jeannette

Small, friendly, interesting, not crowded so the people on duty have time to chat about the exhibits and we were able to moor up right outside. Enjoyed it more than the touristy Stoke Bruerne.

• 4 months later...

I have a canal photgraphic exhibition running at the museum until January 2011, hope you enjoy it.

Tim

hello tim

very impressive photographic exhibition have taken photos to add to my personal events folder.

some of the other people on the painting course also took photos

best wishes

jeannette

hello tim

very impressive photographic exhibition have taken photos to add to my personal events folder.

some of the other people on the painting course also took photos

best wishes

jeannette

Did you enjoy the course Jeanette?

Did you enjoy the course Jeanette?

enjoyed the course, highly recomended to anyone who wants to learn, Tricha even painted some roses L/handed to help me.

due to my grandmothers superstition i have been unable to attempt painting roses & castles for over 40 years.( she honestly put the fear of god into me so much as a child my hands would shake whenever i tried )with tricha & others i have started to overcome my fears, my first roses looked a bit like bumble bees but im getting better with every attempt now.

jeannette

enjoyed the course, highly recomended to anyone who wants to learn, Tricha even painted some roses L/handed to help me.

due to my grandmothers superstition i have been unable to attempt painting roses & castles for over 40 years.( she honestly put the fear of god into me so much as a child my hands would shake whenever i tried )with tricha & others i have started to overcome my fears, my first roses looked a bit like bumble bees but im getting better with every attempt now.

jeannette

Hello Jeannette

What was your grandmother's superstition? very curious!

Jo.

Hello Jeannette

What was your grandmother's superstition? very curious!

Jo.

hello jo

like myself gran was born L/handed(she also came from a line of canal working family that where of the Chapel faith & very strict)her parents belived that L/handed was the sign of the devil in that person. app nan was hit across the hand with a stick to stop her using this hand.Grandad & my parents did not belive in this superstition.when ever i was painting roses & castles ect with my Grandad or making peggy rugs she would stand behind me saying prayers & repeating devil be gone & leave this child alone. as much as she loved me & would never see any harm come to me it put the fear of god in me & iv only just after over a 40 year gap managed to once again paint roses & castles without my hand shaking.

jeannette

Dropped in on Tuesday after going to Limehouse Basin to view a certain auction lot.

A nice little museum in a lovely, restored building. The roof was clearly a labour of love.

As has been said, very friendly helpful staff who are eager to oblige (eg looking after coats).

The old films were very interesting.

The butty back was half much taller than I'd expect - it exhibits the original style bulb shaped ribs and rivetted iron plates.

Lots of lovely photos upstairs, including a good one of Jim on Owl at a recent Braunston Historic Boat Show.

The cold drinks were welcome, but I could have murdered a coffee. However they have no caff, but I can understand that it would be difficult to staff a cafe as well - what with all the food safety malarkey nowadays.

The Bantam tug could do with a tidy up inside though !

• 4 weeks later...

A couple of more reasons to visit (Apart from my photo exhibition of course)

On Wednesday our Patron, the Princess Royal, opened our new water and locks exhibition wich as well as including a model lock explains the concept of water control and the reason for locks etc (It won't teach the experts much but is an excellent educational tool)

We have also unexpectedly been included in 'The 50 Best Museums And Galleries' by the independent, a most pleasant surprise, details:

http://www.independent.co.uk/extras/indybest/the-50-best-museums-amp-galleries-2112967.html?action=Gallery&ino=37

Tim

We have also unexpectedly been included in 'The 50 Best Museums And Galleries' by the independent, a most pleasant surprise, details:

http://www.independent.co.uk/extras/indybest/the-50-best-museums-amp-galleries-2112967.html?action=Gallery&ino=37

Tim

Tim,

You and others involved must, I'm sure, be quite rightly very chuffed!

Bloody well done to you all.

In view of the grimness that Stoke Bruerne has become over the years, thank goodness somewhere else can teach them a thing or two!

Tim,

You and others involved must, I'm sure, be quite rightly very chuffed!

Bloody well done to you all.

In view of the grimness that Stoke Bruerne has become over the years, thank goodness somewhere else can teach them a thing or two!

Only been once and thoroughly enjoyed my visit.

It's not big but lot's of interesting stuff to see, and this includes reading up on the buildings former role and history.

- Just how long can ice remain frozen out of a freezer....

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

I was at a (totally unrelated) meeting in rooms at the museum yesterday, and took the opportunity for a brief look round. I have to say I was a bit disapointed, although the exhibits they have are interesting, they were a bit thin on the ground. There were no interpretation boards and nothing was labelled, and some of the interesting period posters were on display in the rooms, not accessible to the general public. Whilst I was able to benefit from the exhibits by having some prior knowledge, I suspect that a visitor with little prior awareness of the canals would depart not knowing very much more.

The two young people on duty were very friendly, but their knowledge of the exhibits was almost non existent. For example, they were totally unaware that the water can was how boatmen stored their water supply, and had no idea that it had been painted by Ron Hough, or that he is the last remaing person trained in a boat dock who is still working, to their credit they were interested and demonstrated enthusiasm to know more, perhaps this is an area of Staff development that could be explored. As an aside, it is a pity that the water can is partnered by a garden watering can, clearly painted by someone with little ability or understanding of the tradition. (I said nothing!)

I only saw the ground floor and first floor, and believe there may be a top floor, so maybe there is more up there, but feel that the museum would benefit greatly with some explanations of what the exhibits are and their connection with the waterways and the people who worked them.

Edited by David Schweizer