Paint for the inside of a diesel tank?

Featured Posts

I am just about to make the fuel tank for Orianne. It will be effectively free standing because it can't really be welded to the wrought iron hull.

My design is for a slim tank of about 110 litres that will bolt to the knees and hang suspended alonside the side wall of the engine room. The filling point, vent and outlet will all be on the top surface to minimise the possibility of leakage and the well beneath it will have sufficient volume to contain any leakage.

The tank will be constructed of 4mm mild steel with welded seams and it will be pressure tested to 1 bar.

On hydraulic oil tanks I paint the inside to make sure that any mill scale or weld spatter is prevented from getting into the oil. My question is will this be a good idea for a diesel tank (which may also be used for parafin) and if so what sort of paint would be suitable? My thoughts are that a two pack would probably do the job.

Ideas?

Regards

Arnot

I am just about to make the fuel tank for Orianne. It will be effectively free standing because it can't really be welded to the wrought iron hull.

My design is for a slim tank of about 110 litres that will bolt to the knees and hang suspended alonside the side wall of the engine room. The filling point, vent and outlet will all be on the top surface to minimise the possibility of leakage and the well beneath it will have sufficient volume to contain any leakage.

The tank will be constructed of 4mm mild steel with welded seams and it will be pressure tested to 1 bar.

On hydraulic oil tanks I paint the inside to make sure that any mill scale or weld spatter is prevented from getting into the oil. My question is will this be a good idea for a diesel tank (which may also be used for parafin) and if so what sort of paint would be suitable? My thoughts are that a two pack would probably do the job.

Ideas?

Regards

Arnot

dont paint it, there is no need

I don't believe it would be wise nor necessary to paint the inside of a diesel fuel tank.

I's a bugger getting the brush in there too, if all you have to work through is the filler pipe!

I used to fill my Light Aircraft from Jerry cans which were painted internaly.

This nearly killed me caused by a complete engine failure due to the fine particles of paint blocking the main carb jet!

(Dispite filters)

I wouldnt paint any fuel tank after that experience!