Selling boats to brokerages

jeb_lee

Featured Posts

I've just seen the new ad on Apollo Duck and would be amazed if it doesn't generate some interest, looks like a really nice boat.

Yes, it's a very well written ad!

Edited by starman

Yes, it's a very well written ad!

It's only got one picture. As many have said in this thread, and in a previous one, most potential purchasrers would simply click away from it without even reading anything.

It needs more pictures. There's no getting away from it.

It's only got one picture. As many have said in this thread, and in a previous one, most potential purchasrers would simply click away from it without even reading anything.

Agreed - but I only offer armchair re-writing services

Agreed - but I only offer armchair re-writing services

Excellent!

I've got a red leather Chesterfield, that needs a good home.

Do you think you could write the ad blurb?

Edited to add:

tumbleweed.gif

Edited by carlt

Looks like loads of pictures HERE

Excellent!

I've got a red leather Chesterfield, that needs a good home.

Do you think you could write the ad blurb?

Edited to add:

tumbleweed.gif

Genuine ex-working armchair. Immaculately restored oak frame with scarfed joints. Leather seams all re-caulked.

P/ex bosun's chair or liferaft.

Genuine ex-working armchair. Immaculately restored oak frame with scarfed joints. Leather seams all re-caulked.

P/ex bosun's chair or liferaft.

oldarmchair.jpg

It's perfect!

Thank you!

But do you think I need more than one photo?

Now that is a much better ad!!!

As a potential buyer of such a boat:

I would still like to see a bit more detail in the ad. - a layout diagram would be useful, what steel is it (10/8/6?), has the shower got a door or a curtain and how big is the shower, and is there a calorifier. No stove as far as I can see.

I know that I can ask for more more details but when I add potential boats to my spreadsheet I put in all the information available - if it is not available then it will obviously move further down the list.

The boat looks very good and should sell easily as far as I can tell - I would certainly be interested if I were in the UK at present.

Good luck!

John

Thats much better...............personally when I look at AD I like to see pictures and narrative that walk around and through the boat. I ignore those with one picture, particularly those that have one picture of the inside! Makes me think that perhaps its scruffy on the outside. Another thing I dont like to see is a boat that sits a lot higher at the front than it does at the back - empty water tank? Its just a personal thing but whatever its not pleasing to look at.

I'm currently trying to sell our canal boat, I have spent a small fortune getting it advertised almost everywhere but not really getting anywhere, doesn't seem to be many buyers out there. We really need to sell it by August and if it comes to it I might need to sell it off to a brokerage, I was wandering if anyone had experiences of selling their boat for cash at brokerages and how much to expect.

Also if anyone is interested, our advert is on Apolloduck

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/display.phtml?aid=141178

We're open to offers so grab yourself a lovely little boat! :lol:

I have sold many boats over the years, all with free advertising and great success (apollo duck, boatsandoutboards, ebay, freeads and many more) I sold my last narrowboat Odin about 3 weeks ago only having it on the net for less than a week. I had enquiries from far a field all wanting more pics so what I did was a video tour uploaded to utube and a link fom each ad to utube or at least a note saying a tour was on utube. The buyer came from sussex to cheshire and is sailing back later this month. the video was the clincher that made him drive the 5 hours to see it. The boat wasn't that expensive (£16500) but it was the dearest boat I have ever sold and the quickest sale I have ever done, I would definately use a video tour if I ever want to sell the new one. Give it a go before you pay a broker, the brokers use these same sites anyway!

I had a go at rewriting the advert but found I just started waffling again and I thought Starman had done such a good job I just put that one in. Not sure about the amount of text, some people want more detail and some less? A lot of the specifications they ask for only have certain options so can't be very specific.

The link I've put on only goes to a site with the same photos, it let me attach it so I assume its ok, there doesn't seem to be any limit on the number of photos AD allows anyway, I think I could have added another 5 if I had them. But good news is I've had a lot more interest, paid for it to go in all the local newspapers aswell which has also generated interest, just waiting for some feedback, condsidereing a price drop again :lol: but it may have to be done as we're not going to get time in the summer to give her paintwork the attention she deserves.

I have sold many boats over the years, all with free advertising and great success (apollo duck, boatsandoutboards, ebay, freeads and many more) I sold my last narrowboat Odin about 3 weeks ago only having it on the net for less than a week. I had enquiries from far a field all wanting more pics so what I did was a video tour uploaded to utube and a link fom each ad to utube or at least a note saying a tour was on utube. The buyer came from sussex to cheshire and is sailing back later this month. the video was the clincher that made him drive the 5 hours to see it. The boat wasn't that expensive (£16500) but it was the dearest boat I have ever sold and the quickest sale I have ever done, I would definately use a video tour if I ever want to sell the new one. Give it a go before you pay a broker, the brokers use these same sites anyway!

I've got my little camera at the ready and when it gets a bit sunnier (or not as the case may be) I will go and take a video. I've had a couple of people come to view from Wales and Blackpool so hopefully a video will bring people from further afield.

Oh and I did get a phone call from someone who told me he knew alot about SW Durham boats and would be really interested in buying it but then started to talk the price right down, it was only towards the end of this 15 minute conversation that he revealed he was a broker and was basically trying to buy my boat to sell on, he managed to get the price down to £21k before even seeing it, then said that might go down once he checked the condition of it, just kept saying he had to make sure there was a profit in it for him. Well as long as he gets a profit thats ok.