Access to Weed hatch?

Featured Posts

I am considering a two year old trad boat on a piper shell, there is a weed hatch, but no access to it through the deck, seems you have to get to it through the engine compartment, is this normal? Think you would need 4 foot long arms to reach the prop. Every other boat I have been on has had an access hatch through the deck. am I missing something?

Lionheart has a weedhatch and did, originally, have a lifting hatch in the deck. I had the hatch welded up because of leaks when the deck draining was overwhelmed by very leaky top gates. I don't miss it. At all.

I am considering a two year old trad boat on a piper shell, there is a weed hatch, but no access to it through the deck, seems you have to get to it through the engine compartment, is this normal? Think you would need 4 foot long arms to reach the prop. Every other boat I have been on has had an access hatch through the deck. am I missing something?

When we got Melaleuca it was like this, but not quite so bad since we have an engine room forward: at least you didn't have to lie on a hot engine whilst deploying four-foot long arms.

It turned out to be a complete pain, so for a few hundred we had a hatch put in the deck. This was easy, successful and well worth the money. If you like the boat, don't reject it just for this reason but budget to get it fixed (or try and get the cost knocked off the price.)

MP.

Edited to add: or believe Gibbo. Probably the difference is that we boat in the weed-infested Fens, but the boat is short enough to stay away from very leaky top gates (or the ones on the Nene that act as weirs and have 6 inches of water coming over the top all the time.) Also, the gap between counter and uxter-plate is very small, making access even more difficult.

Edited by MoominPapa

We should just have swapped boats :-)

MP.

Hi I make a retro fitting hatch to fit in the back deck it is self draining easy to fit diy or instaled profesionaly it has a key lock for security around £150 for steelwork only fitting extra Regards Martin

Edited by Martin Kedian

Copperkins is like that: Not much of a roblem, athough access is a tad more difficult since the exhaust was re-routed somewhat. Stuff on the propellor is much easier to get at than it would be through a deck hatch.

Iain

Its not uncommon, or convenient. A hatch in the rear deck to access it is, as you see, a bit of a marmite thing.

That said, we go down the weed hatch maybe once a year tops and do a fairly bit of boating. And many dont have a weed hatch.

Daniel

"Get a proper boat" No weedhatch !

C :lol: :lol:

Get a proper boat and add a weed hatch. :lol:

weedhatch21.jpg

It's true that 99 times out of a hundred you can quickly remove stuff off the blade with a shaft – it's the hundredth time when a weed hatch is invaluable. Also what happens when you can't get the boat into the side or there's no convenient bridgehole where you can stand to jiggle off the obstruction?

Ah! Now you have "outed" yourself as not a proper boater.

I must admit I had my suspicions, in that you don't have a beard, but I think this proves it!

weedhatch21.jpg

Also what happens when you can't get the boat into the side or there's no convenient bridgehole where you can stand to jiggle off the obstruction?

weedhatch.jpg

I haven't got a weed hatch, but I have got a very useful plastic bag hatch. I don't find weed is a problem.

I haven't needed it in anger, yet, but having had several swims under a previous boat I'd rather just get my arms cold and wet, thank you. I do use the hatch for routine inspection and it's amazing what (otherwise undetectable stuff) gets around the prop. Like Smudge I'm for the easy life. Puritans can wallow in their penance if they want, but don't expect me to do the same!

Presumably something like this has to occur, if all else fails...

11082008742.jpg

Even in August, the Oxford was VERY cold!

It was a Plastic bag in the raw water intake in this particular case, we do have a weedhatch under the counter, luckily I'm qwuite skinny and short to fit!

Edited by FadeToScarlet