Fresh battle brewing over marina scheme

Josher

Featured Posts

Can't find an existing thread, but ...

Express and Star Wednesday 28th April 2010, 11:30AM BST.

Controversial plans to flood acres of green belt in South Staffordshire to create a marina for narrowboats were today revived – just weeks after being withdrawn following protests.

Plans have been re-submitted for the boating hub in Swindon, leading to anger from campaigners. The latest proposals include a marina for 226 boats, which is 26 fewer than in the previous plans that attracted more than 60 objections. Protesters are now preparing for a fresh battle.

Campaigner Terry Carvin today pledged villagers would once again fight the plans “tooth and nail.”

“We thought the plans might be resubmitted and that it was just a matter of time,” he said.

“We will be taking quite a lot of action against it and will make severe objections.

“This marina is not something we wanted earlier this year, and it’s not something we want now.”

In February, the first set of plans were withdrawn by the applicants Timothy and Joanna Munday.

Neighbours living close to the proposed site in the village, alongside the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal, voiced concerns about air pollution due to the diesel-powered boats.

Staffordshire Police also made representations to the council about security.

The new proposals include an office, farm shop, tea rooms, gift shop and mezzanine viewing gallery area.

The 22-acre site would also feature security fencing and closed circuit television.

There would also be 123-space car park on site and up to 14 jobs would be created.

In the application, agent Paul Turner said: “The proposal will open up the village to its most significant environmental, cultural and historic asset, the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal.

“It will provide public accessibility and inter-connectivity with the village, enhancement of landscape quality and interest and a community meeting place.”

Mr Carvin said a meeting would take place soon to discuss the plans, which are set to go before South Staffordshire Council in August.

I generally object to marina developments because they are blot on the landscape and I think we have enough anyway, but what always seems to swing the planners to approve them is 2 things

1. Job creation

2. A reaction to the much of the original objection on environmental grounds, they re submit with a few less berths and use that space for some kind of landscaping for screening or a reed bed for the wild life

Sad but thats how it works

Charles

• Greenie 1

I generally object to marina developments because they are blot on the landscape and I think we have enough anyway, but what always seems to swing the planners to approve them is 2 things

1. Job creation

2. A reaction to the much of the original objection on environmental grounds, they re submit with a few less berths and use that space for some kind of landscaping for screening or a reed bed for the wild life

Charles

Yes but we all have to put our boats somewhere.

If BW is serious about reducing the number of online berths, new marina berths have to be created.

Yes but we all have to put our boats somewhere.

If BW is serious about reducing the number of online berths, new marina berths have to be created.

BW doesn't need to be serious about reducing the number, but as more boats arrive on the system than leave it each year marinas are needed if the number is not to increase!

I am in favour of Marinas on on every single one I've worked on I would say the opposition have decided they don't like it first, and then sought to justify that stance: this can result in some astonishing allegations as to the impact they have.

For me the thing is, if was building a marina i would built it a bit like travel reign that we are in (not called uplands and owned by nantwich)

Its got about 100-120 berths (not 250+) with a half decent but mix type and non-intrusive perimeter, its got small slipway, a paintshed, use of a floating dry dock just across the canal at alvechurch, and is run by a boater for boaters, at sensible rates. There is adequate water provision, and electric for around half the berths and its against a bw water point, and 10minutes out of northwich where you have shops/bnQ/etc

What its not a is a super 250berth marina 'complex' with a dirty big CCTV system, miles and miles of poorly positioned gravel paths, and mooring fees that blow my mind so that it end up never filling up anyway.

Yes that is a rant, and yes it is poorly constructed, but its a brain dump on my thoughts of the matter.

Daniel

For me the thing is, if was building a marina i would built it a bit like travel reign that we are in (not called uplands and owned by nantwich)

Its got about 100-120 berths (not 250+) with a half decent but mix type and non-intrusive perimeter, its got small slipway, a paintshed, use of a floating dry dock just across the canal at alvechurch, and is run by a boater for boaters, at sensible rates. There is adequate water provision, and electric for around half the berths and its against a bw water point, and 10minutes out of northwich where you have shops/bnQ/etc

What its not a is a super 250berth marina 'complex' with a dirty big CCTV system, miles and miles of poorly positioned gravel paths, and mooring fees that blow my mind so that it end up never filling up anyway.

Yes that is a rant, and yes it is poorly constructed, but its a brain dump on my thoughts of the matter.

Daniel

Ah come on not all large marinas are bad.

Ours has around 250 berths for boat owners plus another 150+ for home owners who have their boats in their gardens. Each berth has a water point and electric point. The pontoons are very well maintained and the berths are well spaced out with plenty of room to manouvre in the turnong spaces. All paths are hard paved,with the excpetion of the ones in the nature reserve, and there is plenty of car parking provided close to each entry gate.

The CCTV makes for a safe environment to keep a boat,as does the knowledge that should anything happen to your boat whilst you are away you will be contacted and the marina staff will take appropriate action to reduce damage sustained.

A significant problem with creating a 250 plus berth marina on the canal system, (or several in the same area that give that or more bertts in total), is that if even a very small percentage of the boats the contained all decided to go boating on the same sunny weekend, there would be gridlock.

Fortunately most boats tend to sit in marinas for a huge percentage of the year, and, as we all know, many never go any further than the pump-out.

So generally we survive, but at bank Holidays in some areas, it becomes silly season.

I'd rather see the provision of 50 to 100 berth marinas at spaced out intervals than these monster ones that spread over huge areas, (and then often get permission to double in size again). It's obvious if you consider the ones around the "Wigrams" area, where the Southern Oxford converges with the GU, that the reason many of the long files of boats all going along in slow procession is because so much capacity has been introduced at one place. many of these boats never get 20 miles from base, I'll wager.

I'm certainly not "anti-marina" though. In the area where we moor the few existing providers have been able to keep ramping up prices, but do little in return. BW moorings often let at way above "guide". A bit more choice, and a bit of competition, is no bad thing, in my view.

1. Job creation

Charles

Where do you think boats should be moored?

In existing Marinas and on existing linear moorings, where do you think they should be moored since you ask?

I think they should be moored in marinas.

Where do you keep your boat, Marina or Linear?

Edited by Laurie.Booth

In existing Marinas and on existing linear moorings, where do you think they should be moored since you ask?

In other words, nobody is allowed to put a new boat into any area where the marinas and linear moorings are already at "full capacity", unless some of the existing ones get moved on or are scrapped ?

At least that's consistent with your views on immigration in another thread. :lol:

That would prove very difficult in some areas, hence the provision of new marina berths.

Not in my back yard..... :lol:

Im afraid thats the stance that people take with development of any kind be it housing, retail or marine.

In other words, nobody is allowed to put a new boat into any area where the marinas and linear moorings are already at "full capacity", unless some of the existing ones get moved on or are scrapped ?

At least that's consistent with your views on immigration in another thread. :lol:

I do think there should be more removal of boats and better use of what is available and BW should manage that better thereby creating capacity. If there has to be more marinas these should be less in the areas that the original OP noted which is so often the case, rural areas, unsuitable roads to get to them, often on the most attractive rural stretches that are ruined for ever instead of areas such as brownfield sites. They wont do that because there is too much work and expense

Regarding immigration, you seem like a chap that has the time to better himself and is not shy with sharing his opinion. Do yourself a favour read up on the topic

Charles

Do yourself a favour read up on the topic

That's a little unfair. We tend to read the propaganda that suits our opinion, disbelieve the figures of the opposing view and, sometimes, recognise that the truth lies somewhere between the extremes.

I agree entirely with your views on marinas, btw, though I do feel that there is great scope for building urban marinas and helping to regenerate what some might describe as "bandit country".

I do think there should be more removal of boats and better use of what is available and BW should manage that better thereby creating capacity. If there has to be more marinas these should be less in the areas that the original OP noted which is so often the case, rural areas, unsuitable roads to get to them, often on the most attractive rural stretches that are ruined for ever instead of areas such as brownfield sites. They wont do that because there is too much work and expense

Regarding immigration, you seem like a chap that has the time to better himself and is not shy with sharing his opinion. Do yourself a favour read up on the topic

Charles

I guess you'll be referring to Das Kampf then?

Charles

May i ask which boats you will remove and how you will make a the choice of which boats to remove?

You may also want to read up on some more recent marina developments and the siting off them. Many of the newer marinas in our neck of the woods are/where brownfield sites. They where old gravel quarries. (This is by no means a blanket statement that all new marinas are situated in this way)

That's a little unfair. We tend to read the propaganda that suits our opinion, disbelieve the figures of the opposing view and, sometimes, recognise that the truth lies somewhere between the extremes.

I agree entirely with your views on marinas, btw, though I do feel that there is great scope for building urban marinas and helping to regenerate what some might describe as "bandit country".

I also feel that, rather than remove older boats, there should be less new ones built (something that is actually happening, thanks to our economy).

We could all buy our boats from Poland, too, possibly reducing the number of immigrants, at the same time.

Edited by carlt

Having recently had an unplanned fortnight spent in hospital, well cared for by our NHS, I actually regularly lay there and thought how grateful I was for a bit of immigration.

My care was multi-ethnic, by any standard, and I very much doubt the NHS could have provided the same level of care without wide-scale use of staff from many lands, (or who's ancestors were from those lands). If had been limited to pure British Anglo-Saxon carers, I might have well have taken myself home, frankly.

I was interested to note many of the public comments following Brown being caught-out using the 'bigot' word.

I found it surprising how many people, (not the immigrants themselves), were relating that Eastern European's were exiting the area at a similar rate to that people were coming to it.

OK, it's anecdotal, no hard facts, I'll admit but a very different version of events from......

A migrant still arrives every minute.

We must build a new home every six minutes for new migrants.

So, a migrant every minute - 60 an hour - 1,440 per day - or well over half a million each year ?

Are you, or those you are quoting, claiming that as net immigration, (i.e arrivals minus departures), or have you carefully omitted to take off the number of "leavers" ?

Presumably houses vactated by ones who are leaving could be taken up by those arriving, so is there really a need for the "build one every six minutes".

Is this the sort of stuff you want me to read, so that I can "better myself" ?

p.s.

For the avoidance of doubt, I actually thought Brown made the biggest arse of himself possible, and has further damaged his chances big time. Other than the dear lady trying to get on the same unfortunate "blame it all on the Eastern European's" bandwagon, I thought she put up a fairly good show. Unfortunately if she earned the "bigot" label, then so should a frighteningly large amount of the country, who share such views. Does Brown not realise how many bigots there are in the country then, or does he just not want to be filmed talking to them ?

You may also want to read up on some more recent marina developments and the siting off them. Many of the newer marinas in our neck of the woods are/where brownfield sites. They where old gravel quarries. (This is by no means a blanket statement that all new marinas are situated in this way)

Or new quarries ?

BBC Wednesday, 21 April 2010 13:01 UK

Marina plan calls for quarry work in Northamptonshire

Plans for a 100-berth marina on the River Nene in Northamptonshire are to go before county council planners.

Developers will excavate 130,000 tonnes of sand and gravel annually for three years at Lilford Lodge Farm between Thrapston and Oundle for the marina.

Planners are looking at the impact on the environment and road network of the extra traffic from the quarrying work.

The site will have shower facilities, cycle hire and office accommodation for visitors and business opportunities.

Edited by Josher