Painting inside the engine 'ole

NB Alnwick

Featured Posts

Sometime this year I want to re-paint the inside of Alnwick's engine room. When built, Phil painted it all over with an 'egg-shell' finish in a light greenish grey - possibly duck-egg green - which I think may have been based on a colour he had seen on one of the historical working boats repaired at his yard. After Phil sold it, the engine room was painted in a bright green up to waist height and cream above with the pipework, coolant and fuel tanks picked out in red. In this state it looks a bit garish and I would certainly prefer the lighter, more subdued, original colour. Apart from anything else, lighter colours help to reflect the light around which is helpful when working on or servicing the engine and gearbox.

Was there a traditionally preferred colour for engine rooms on the old working boats?

Sometime this year I want to re-paint the inside of Alnwick's engine room. When built, Phil painted it all over with an 'egg-shell' finish in a light greenish grey - possibly duck-egg green - which I think may have been based on a colour he had seen on one of the historical working boats repaired at his yard. After Phil sold it, the engine room was painted in a bright green up to waist height and cream above with the pipework, coolant and fuel tanks picked out in red. In this state it looks a bit garish and I would certainly prefer the lighter, more subdued, original colour. Apart from anything else, lighter colours help to reflect the light around which is helpful when working on or servicing the engine and gearbox.

Was there a traditionally preferred colour for engine rooms on the old working boats?

I think most 'historic' motor boat engine rooms were painted red oxide below the gunwales and either white or cream above the gunwales (I prefer the latter as it is not as harsh as white but still reflects the light). The most common alternative is to grain (scumble) the interior above the gunwale but this can make it rather dark and gloomy.

I would suggest painting fuel / oil tanks in either red or green to add some contrast, again I prefer the latter.

Certainly concur with Pete. Keep it simple. Nothing worse than a multi coloured nightmare. Cream is warm and light, red oxide below gunnel is just sensible, and green tanks were common. Black for engine beds, control rods and links. Maintenance boats didn't get such lavish treatment especially if they were 'anybodies', but I have succumbed to a yellow counter band - but that's not engine room! My tanks are oxide as the below gunnels and footplates - simplicity.

Derek

For my sins mine is cream above and a sandy colour bottom half,grey tanks will be green when I get round to finishing painting.The floorplates are light grey and the engine is dark green as is the switchboard and the battery box.This is light pleasant and not garish at all,it isnt traditional but so what its only paint and someone else can change it in the future.I might weaken in the future and grain the lower half of the engine room because I quite like the idea

For my sins mine is cream above and a sandy colour bottom half,grey tanks will be green when I get round to finishing painting.The floorplates are light grey and the engine is dark green as is the switchboard and the battery box.This is light pleasant and not garish at all,it isnt traditional but so what its only paint and someone else can change it in the future.I might weaken in the future and grain the lower half of the engine room because I quite like the idea

Hi Madcat

If you're going to grain the engine 'ole I suggest you do it above the gunnel and use a dark blue or green below if you're looking for a traditional effect.

Cheers

Dave

Cheers Dave as it happens its 1973 on Halsall and nobody is feeling particularly traditional. probably wont grain anything my hubby can get at and damage,he has form for this sort of thing but very pale graining and a good green would be a very pleasing choice if it was only me to wear it out!!The sand colour was to obliterate a hated oxford blue ,wont be painting the cabin BW blue or blue and yellow anytime soon either.

Must dig out an old book detailing a good colour scheme for a ships engine room .Reeds usefull hints to seagoing engineers [1912] suggests graining the upper part of the engine room casing.

Halsalls colour scheme was chosen to reflect maximum light, it never got finished as Boris scratched it heaving floor plates up and down and then i had to get a tank repaired so hopefully this summer....maybe.......

Edited by madcat

Well we've just bought the paint today for Chertsey's engine hole, going to stick with red oxide below the gunnels, pale cream above and dark green tanks. Should set off the bright green engine nicely! This is pretty much the colour scheme already in place so not a difficult decision, and the same colours will do pro tem in the back cabin too.

Well we've just bought the paint today for Chertsey's engine hole, going to stick with red oxide below the gunnels, pale cream above and dark green tanks. Should set off the bright green engine nicely! This is pretty much the colour scheme already in place so not a difficult decision, and the same colours will do pro tem in the back cabin too.

Hi,

your link has too many http://'s in it!

Richard

Try this one: Bright green engine

I seem to recall some light green Hammerite under the PD3, but will stick with blue. BW and maintenance was a one brush - one colour affair!

Looking good though. Lighter colours allow the spotting of leaks easier. It's probably fine, but do check the oil cooler connections regularly. A leak will drop the pressure and Petter's do like oil pressure.

Nice to see the oil pump and drain plug location (mine's without drain pump). The drain plug is nigh impossible to get at when mounted on longitudinal beds. Removing the starter motor for access is most definitely easier!

Derek

I think most 'historic' motor boat engine rooms were painted red oxide below the gunwales and either white or cream above the gunwales (I prefer the latter as it is not as harsh as white but still reflects the light). The most common alternative is to grain (scumble) the interior above the gunwale but this can make it rather dark and gloomy.

I would suggest painting fuel / oil tanks in either red or green to add some contrast, again I prefer the latter.

I think this is spot on too, all the boats I have come across had these colours, even down to tugs on the MSC!