Outboard / Inboard Conversion on a narrowboat

larrysanders

Featured Posts

We've got a 30ft narrowboat powered by a Honda 15hp outboard. I got talking to someone with a similar size boat and they mentioned how they converted their outboard to an inboard engine. I wondered if anyone on the forum has experience of this as it will obviously effect how the boat sits in the water? Also what type/make of engine would be best for a small boat like ours?

Assuming you mean converting your outboard powered boat to be an inboard powered one, having looked at the photos you would have to build a counter stern at the back of the boat and find room for the engine install and fuel tanks. Quite a significant piece of work but doable by a competent boatyard, although looking at where you outboard sits it may be that you simply haven't got enough depth in the hull to accomodate that - there's scope here for a massive debate about engine speed and prop sizes but you'd need at least 15" below the water to accomodate the swim and prop, I think. As regards engine, there are a number of modern small dependable diesels that wouldn't take up too much space.

I suspect the money the work will cost would pay for you to sell your current boat, and buy a 57 footer.

You really reckon it'll be that expensive? The chap I spoke to who'd already done it on his boat said it was about 4k all in, for the new engine and the metal work. He sold his outboard on Ebay to recoup some of the costs. However I do think you have a point it may be easier to buy a new boat.

From the photos it looks as if the boat was designed to be powered by an outboard so changing it to inboard power is going to be quite involved but it can be done. I saw a small ex workboat last year that couldn't have been more than 20 feet and the owner had done just such a conversion, I think with a single cylinder diesel which didn't take up much room. He told me he had done it for better fuel economy and reckoned it was worth it.

We've got a 30ft narrowboat powered by a Honda 15hp outboard. I got talking to someone with a similar size boat and they mentioned how they converted their outboard to an inboard engine. I wondered if anyone on the forum has experience of this as it will obviously effect how the boat sits in the water? Also what type/make of engine would be best for a small boat like ours?

we used to have a 32 nb powered by a Yanmar 12hp engne. It could push the boat all day no problems.

I honestly think it will cost a fair bit to convert your boat to inboard, and the cost will buy your petrol for many years to come. I would guess your biggest disadvantage with an outboard would be slow battery charging, and petrol availability.

I have seen a similar NB to yours with an inboard motor, but they had used a Z drive instead of a traditional stern tube. That would mean the engine could go right against the transom. Not sure whether you can tiller steer a Z drive, or whether a wheel would be needed.

we used to have a 32 nb powered by a Yanmar 12hp engne. It could push the boat all day no problems.

I honestly think it will cost a fair bit to convert your boat to inboard, and the cost will buy your petrol for many years to come. I would guess your biggest disadvantage with an outboard would be slow battery charging, and petrol availability.

I have seen a similar NB to yours with an inboard motor, but they had used a Z drive instead of a traditional stern tube. That would mean the engine could go right against the transom. Not sure whether you can tiller steer a Z drive, or whether a wheel would be needed.

Getting petrol is less of problem with supermarket garages etc. However charging the batteries is an issue on long trips so I use a gennie to top them up when we're out and about. Thanks for your thoughts...

Getting petrol is less of problem with supermarket garages etc. However charging the batteries is an issue on long trips so I use a gennie to top them up when we're out and about. Thanks for your thoughts...

That is very good to know. It may be harder getting diesel on the cut as time goes on, plus it will gradually lose the price advanatage that we now enjoy (they haven't finished with us yet.) All this leads me to think you may be better sticking with the outboard and the genny.