patching up paint

sanford

Featured Posts

we have a narrow boat which is 8 months old ( from new ) now the time has come to patch up the scuffs on the paint work, spoke with the boat builder and he told me the make and colour of the paint, i sanded down, undercoated, let dry and apllied top coat, the colour was a lot lighter, i checked numbers on tin, rang builder and he says i have the right colour and to go back to paint manufacturer, the boat is not 12 months old yet so would it be reasonable to ask the builder to sort out the problem? Has anybody had same problem?

regards

we have a narrow boat which is 8 months old ( from new ) now the time has come to patch up the scuffs on the paint work, spoke with the boat builder and he told me the make and colour of the paint, i sanded down, undercoated, let dry and apllied top coat, the colour was a lot lighter, i checked numbers on tin, rang builder and he says i have the right colour and to go back to paint manufacturer, the boat is not 12 months old yet so would it be reasonable to ask the builder to sort out the problem? Has anybody had same problem?

regards

This may sound obvious but you are mixing it well before use as this will effect the colour.

regards

What colour was the undercoat, what colour is your topcoat - and how many coats of topcoat did you apply?

regards

Purchased a tin of Silver Fox from the local chandlers which on opening turned out to be white, returned it and they replaced it without problems. The paint company did say they had never had the problem before but they didn't want the paint back, makes you wonder.

Ken

regards

get some rubbing compound from halfords, use it when paint well dry, then mer polish the boat, should make it match better

get some rubbing compound from halfords, use it when paint well dry, then mer polish the boat, should make it match better

Of course, once you've used MER, you will have ensured that there is no chance of ever touching up the paint again.

regards

After 8 months you will find it difficult to get an exact match. Even if you had some leftover from the original paint job, I would think after this amount of time you would still see a difference. Paint exposed to sunlight the colour pigment will deteriorate at a different rate than paint not exposed to sunlight, ie paint that is still in the tin.

There will be a very slight variation in tins of new paint that have been produced from different batches but usually not enough for the eye to see.

This is why most boat hulls are black up to the gunnel as black seems to blend in better to the eye although the difference is still there.

Of course, once you've used MER, you will have ensured that there is no chance of ever touching up the paint again.

Not strictly correct although I agree silicone products hould be avoided where possible. Silicone does gradually wear off or can be removed with painters spirit wipe, or meths.

Also you should avoid polishing new paint for at least a week as the paint can absorb wax creating a dull finish. :lol:

RUBBISH!!!! your talking out of your depth now, i sprayed cars for a living!! nuff said

MER, like most silicone based products leaves a residue which interferes with paint adhesion.

Using MER will mean that the next time you want to touch up, you will need to chemically remove the silicone.

MER, like most silicone based products leaves a residue which interferes with paint adhesion.

Using MER will mean that the next time you want to touch up, you will need to chemically remove the silicone.

I don't know whether Mer does, or does not, contain silicones, but what I do know is that if you try to french polish any furniture that has been polished with a product containing silicone, it will not take. So Dave is probably correct in that respect.

RUBBISH!!!! your talking out of your depth now, i sprayed cars for a living!! nuff said

Also with respect- and I mean that , I`m not being sarcastic, ( I wish I`d learnt to spray properly years ago ) the paint used to spray cars is not at all the same animal that is used to brush paint boats. Mer is a very good automotive polish but I for one would not use polishes of that nature on synthetic enamel. Now I suppose there are those who will think Im just trying to push our own brand. I`m not , there is a wide choice of relatively low tech old fashioned polishes, but certain more modern ones will attack the structure of a synthetic paint and thus integrate with it. This can be a problem later.

After 8 months you will find it difficult to get an exact match. Even if you had some leftover from the original paint job, I would think after this amount of time you would still see a difference. Paint exposed to sunlight the colour pigment will deteriorate at a different rate than paint not exposed to sunlight, ie paint that is still in the tin.

There will be a very slight variation in tins of new paint that have been produced from different batches but usually not enough for the eye to see.

This is why most boat hulls are black up to the gunnel as black seems to blend in better to the eye although the difference is still there.

Quite right. There is also the possibility that the new paint will darken somewhat as it cures. This can take up to 6 weeks or so with a synthetic enamel.