Liverpool Canal Link

Featured Posts

Ive just been thumbing through the information of whats required to go on the liverpool link and reading up a bit of background so i thought i would compile the information into a singe thread to form an FAQ

Here is a list of links to pertanate thread from which i have taken info.

Pennine Waterways 'The Liverpool Canal Link - information for boaters' (Martin Clark)

http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/liverpoo...ink/boaters.htm

Martin Clarkes Threads with photo updates of work from May07 to Compleation

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=15076

Picture Video on youtube taken in nov08

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=18563

Info for boats with a bridgewater license

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=25581

Thread discussing a trip planned for Easter 09

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=20194

Thread discussing a Easter trip a year later (2010)

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27946

So in summary, in order to take your boat on the Link you must...

(work in progess)

Book a passage into Liverpool by ringing BW Wigan on 01942 405700 and will if reqested be sent a skipper's guide containing all the necessary information.

The assisted passages will operate 8 days a week. With eight boats a day in each direction allowed through the assisted sections.

You will wait for assisted passage at Bridge 9 'Wango Lane' for BW staff to operate the two very busy swing bridges at Wango Lane and Netherton and down the 4 locks of the Stanley Dock Branch and the two new locks at Princes Dock and Mann Island.

Boats travelling back up from Liverpool will also be assisted through the locks, to moor overnight at Eldonian village, and be assisted through the two swing bridges.

If entering from the Ship Canal at Eastham Lock boaters must phone BW Wigan (01942 405700) to book a mooring in Salthouse Dock (and presumably a asised passege out if going to the canal) these boats must also book there ship canal passage if requred and conforum to strick shipcanal policy, information on this is avilbae elsewhere on the forum.

Entry from the River Mersey via Brunswick Dock need to telephone Liverpool Marina and there is a charge for using the lock.

Boats will be able to moor at Salthouse Dock for up to 14 days. Water and electricity will be available on the pontoons with no mooring charge.

Special arrangements have been made with the Bridgewater Canal Company that will allow Bridgewater licensed boats an extension in the time they are allowed onto BW waters to enable them to take full advantage of the new moorings.

Daniel

Boats will be required to moor overnight at Eldonian Village, being assisted down the 4 locks of the Stanley Dock Branch and the two new locks at Princes Dock and Mann Island thenext day

Boats travelling back up from Liverpool will also be assisted through the locks, to moor overnight at Eldonian village, and be assisted through the two swing bridges.

I went through the Link in December 09 and was informed by BW that in 2010 the Eldonian Village overnight stop will no longer happen and passage will be straight through. When I did it there was no stop at Eldonian Village.

If anyone is interested I have a few pics and a short video on my website Click here for website

Would recommend Liverpool to anyone had a great time while I was there

The assisted passages now operate on six days only - 8 boats down one day and then 8 boats back the following day with no overnight stop at Eldonian Village. No boat movement on Tuesdays.

Steve

To be absolutely specific, these are the days you can travel in and out: -

Sunday - in to Liverpool

Monday - out from Liverpool

Tuesday - no passage

Wednesday - in

Thursday - out

Friday - in

Saturday - out

• 2 weeks later...

We went into Liverpool last Sunday (18th). We were the only boat and apparently set a new season's best time of 3.5 hours from Bridge 9 to Salthouse Dock. We didn't need to stop at Litherland and the guys were keen for us to get through Canning Half Tide Dock before 1.00 as HMS Shoreham was there and planning to leave on the tide. Speaking to others in Salthouse Dock 6 boats on Friday had taken 5.5 hours for the same journey.

Also there is a new huge 24 hour Tesco right by the services at Litherland, which can be easily accessed. Whilst you are virtually on top of the Liverpool One shopping centre in Salthouse Dock, there aren't a lot of handy food shops near the dock, which might be important if you're planning a few days there. Some bright spark has put the trolley park at Tesco right next to the canal so you can expect a mini Aintree boating steeplechase around there shortly.

I went through the Link in December 09 and was informed by BW that in 2010 the Eldonian Village overnight stop will no longer happen and passage will be straight through. When I did it there was no stop at Eldonian Village.

If anyone is interested I have a few pics and a short video on my website Click here for website

Would recommend Liverpool to anyone had a great time while I was there

Hi cotswoldsman just had a look through a couple of your videos good worth a look

• 1 year later...

We went into Liverpool last Sunday (18th). We were the only boat and apparently set a new season's best time of 3.5 hours from Bridge 9 to Salthouse Dock. We didn't need to stop at Litherland and the guys were keen for us to get through Canning Half Tide Dock before 1.00 as HMS Shoreham was there and planning to leave on the tide. Speaking to others in Salthouse Dock 6 boats on Friday had taken 5.5 hours for the same journey.

Also there is a new huge 24 hour Tesco right by the services at Litherland, which can be easily accessed. Whilst you are virtually on top of the Liverpool One shopping centre in Salthouse Dock, there aren't a lot of handy food shops near the dock, which might be important if you're planning a few days there. Some bright spark has put the trolley park at Tesco right next to the canal so you can expect a mini Aintree boating steeplechase around there shortly.

Hi John, You must have the luck of the gods!!!! I took my boat down to Liverpool 2 weeks ago for the Mersey River Festival. There was so much rubbish in the canal between bridge No 9 and the locks that I had to stop and clear the prop 5 times going and 4 times coming back (mainly plastic bags). The canal is in a disgraceful state. But saying that Liverpool was fantastic and well worth the effort. There are 2 Tesco's within walking distance of the moorings. Best thing to do on arrival in Salthouse Dock is to visit the Tourist Centre they have SHOPPING MAPS.................YES!!!!!!!!!!!
Bobbin
  • rep_up.png

Hi John, You must have the luck of the gods!!!! I took my boat down to Liverpool 2 weeks ago for the Mersey River Festival. There was so much rubbish in the canal between bridge No 9 and the locks that I had to stop and clear the prop 5 times going and 4 times coming back (mainly plastic bags). The canal is in a disgraceful state. But saying that Liverpool was fantastic and well worth the effort. There are 2 Tesco's within walking distance of the moorings. Best thing to do on arrival in Salthouse Dock is to visit the Tourist Centre they have SHOPPING MAPS.................YES!!!!!!!!!!!

Bobbin

Having done the trip several times without needing to go down the weed hatch i have noticed that boats that weave around ,entering the shallows which in places are very shallow seem to be the ones who get stuff on the props.

Keep to the centre boat channel and i have found the going easy.

• 1 year later...

This is the trip we wanted to do this year. We're hiring from Claymoore at Preston Brook, departing on a Friday. All the timings fit to arrive at Wango Lane bridge for the assisted passage on the Monday Morning, but it's outward only on a Monday ! To make it worse, even if we could have had an inward passage on Monday, we'd need an outward passage on Tuesday to get back in time, and there are no passages at all on Tuesdays ! Plan B was beckoning, which was to go to Rufford as we've never been there, but the boat is too long for the locks, so plan C was invoked - The west side of The Rochdale. Again, we've never done that bit, but again passage restrictions made it difficult, so we're now onto Plan D - Saddleworth. Still some bits we've never done AND two nights in The Station Buffet at Stalybridge ! When I get to plan Z, I'll give up !

• 3 weeks later...

Just a question to people who have done this route, do most people moor up at handcocks bridge the night before to wait for c&rt for the 9.00 start, or do they moor elsewhere & motor in? Swmbo (a native) says its not the best area. We are doing the link in June, if any one else on here is going in on 16 June, please let me know. Cheers.

Just a question to people who have done this route, do most people moor up at handcocks bridge the night before to wait for c&rt for the 9.00 start, or do they moor elsewhere & motor in? Swmbo (a native) says its not the best area. We are doing the link in June, if any one else on here is going in on 16 June, please let me know. Cheers.

When we went in 2011 we moored overnight at Hancocks Bridge. Loads of people around walking and fishing but no trouble at all. Were joined in the morning by 5 other boats who had overnighted about an hour back.

This is the trip we wanted to do this year. We're hiring from Claymoore at Preston Brook, departing on a Friday. All the timings fit to arrive at Wango Lane bridge for the assisted passage on the Monday Morning, but it's outward only on a Monday ! To make it worse, even if we could have had an inward passage on Monday, we'd need an outward passage on Tuesday to get back in time, and there are no passages at all on Tuesdays ! Plan B was beckoning, which was to go to Rufford as we've never been there, but the boat is too long for the locks, so plan C was invoked - The west side of The Rochdale. Again, we've never done that bit, but again passage restrictions made it difficult, so we're now onto Plan D - Saddleworth. Still some bits we've never done AND two nights in The Station Buffet at Stalybridge ! When I get to plan Z, I'll give up !

Don't understand 'too long for the locks'. I thought all locks from Wigan to Liverpool were 70 foot.

Regards

Pete

Edited by pearley

Yes, I moored there without incident.

Don't understand 'too long for the locks'. I thought all locks from Wigan to Liverpool were 70 foot.

Regards

Pete

They are, but to get to Rufford you need to go down the branch from Burscough which has shorter (62ft nominal) locks.

George ex nb Alton retired

A S**t boat comes round 3 times a week. £5 for a cassette. Don't know how much he charges for pump out. Sells diesel too.

Regards

Pete

If memory serves correctly, the pump out charge 2 years ago was £15.

The only disadvantage was that the poo boat had a capacity for approx 300 lts whereas my tanks are 400 Ltd but that was a minor detail.

Also interesting to know that he sells diesel too.

I have a berth in Liverpool Marina and I normally take my boat to the pumpout myself and get charged £10. I got the Turdis(!) to pump me out at my berth while I was at work and was charged £20.

An important bit of information for any of you staying in the Salthouse dock - swerve the Pumphouse where you'll be charged about £4 for some bland lager and visit the boater friendly Baltic Fleet that brews its own beer in the cellar and starts at about £2.50!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a berth in Liverpool Marina and I normally take my boat to the pumpout myself and get charged £10. I got the Turdis(!) to pump me out at my berth while I was at work and was charged £20.

An important bit of information for any of you staying in the Salthouse dock - swerve the Pumphouse where you'll be charged about £4 for some bland lager and visit the boater friendly Baltic Fleet that brews its own beer in the cellar and starts at about £2.50!

Baltic fleet, spent many a happy lunch break in there and A1 at Lloyds (now long gone) when working at the Clarence graving dock.

• 3 weeks later...

I used the Baltic Fleet last month when visiting Liverpool - hotel was 20 yards away! Very nice local friendly pub and beer was good - as was the traditional draft cider. Good prides as well.