Fire board (Masterboard, Superlux, Glasroc etc.)

Featured Posts

I know this has come up before, so sorry for the repetition, but I'm really struggling to find anywhere in the Reading area that will sell me some fireboard for behind the tiles around my stove. I've tried Wickes, B&Q, Screwfix, Focus and Selco, and I've tried emailing & messaging Canal Shop Man on this forum, all to no avail. The only shop that had anything useful at all was Selco, who had 8'x4' sheets of 6mm Masterboard which would be perfect, but they refuse to cut it because they say it'll blunt their saw, and I need to get it into a Ford Focus. Short of taking the genny and a jigsaw to Selco's car park, I'm out of ideas.

Wickes do stuff for underfloor heating called "Aquapanel Thermal" in nice small sheets, but I'm not sure if that would do the job...?

Any ideas welcome.

I know this has come up before, so sorry for the repetition, but I'm really struggling to find anywhere in the Reading area that will sell me some fireboard for behind the tiles around my stove. I've tried Wickes, B&Q, Screwfix, Focus and Selco, and I've tried emailing & messaging Canal Shop Man on this forum, all to no avail. The only shop that had anything useful at all was Selco, who had 8'x4' sheets of 6mm Masterboard which would be perfect, but they refuse to cut it because they say it'll blunt their saw, and I need to get it into a Ford Focus. Short of taking the genny and a jigsaw to Selco's car park, I'm out of ideas.

Wickes do stuff for underfloor heating called "Aquapanel Thermal" in nice small sheets, but I'm not sure if that would do the job...?

Any ideas welcome.

Travis Perkins. Take a stanley knife or similar and long rule - or borrow length of timber - score and snap. Easy to cut down to smaller pieces.

Travis Perkins. Take a stanley knife or similar and long rule - or borrow length of timber - score and snap. Easy to cut down to smaller pieces.

Is it that easy to cut??? If so I'm happy to take a length of timber to Selco on a dry day and do that. I figured it was going to be too tough for that sort of approach...

Is it that easy to cut??? If so I'm happy to take a length of timber to Selco on a dry day and do that. I figured it was going to be too tough for that sort of approach...

It is how I cut up an 8 x 4 sheet of masterboard - it is essentially a plasterboard and once scored on one side, breaks very cleanly. You'll have to cut the paper on the backside once broken.

If you don't feel confident with the "score and break" method, (which I add I have no reason to doubt will not work), the stuff cuts very easily with an old blunt panel hand-saw.

Very easily indeed.

Whatever method you use you should easily be able to demolish it into "Focus" sized bits, without starting up generators!

Best place to get fireboard is a 'proper' builders merchant - not DIY stores.

The 'trade' use it all the time.

We buy ours (we're a boatyard) in 4' x 4' sheets from our local trade outlet.

Don't be intimidated by these places - your money is as godd as anyone elses in these hard times.

• 2 months later...