Generator Dilemma

sue.stew

Featured Posts

Can anyone advise us on what size generator we need. Yes you`ve guessed it I`m a `newbe` & looking to buy one. It would probably only be used for a laptop, hairdryer & phone charger & if it would power the hair straighteners then that would be fine & dandy.

Ta Sue

Can anyone advise us on what size generator we need. Yes you`ve guessed it I`m a `newbe` & looking to buy one. It would probably only be used for a laptop, hairdryer & phone charger & if it would power the hair straighteners then that would be fine & dandy.

Ta Sue

What about a hoover? A hoover is the one thing I found to be the most consuming in power. Laptop can be used from 12v as can the phone charger.

Ta Sue

:lol: Hi it would be cheaper and easier and less noisey and no petrol involved to buy a small inverter for the lap top and mobile phone. Its the HAIRDRYER thats the killer if its a big one you will need a 2kva gennie, most ladies who live on boats dont bother with those landlubbers toys and go eau natural

Ta Sue

You don't need a generator at all, because you don't need most of the fripperies that you describe.

Hair dryer and hair straighteners just aren't needed.

Get a 12v phone charger, and a small inverter to run the laptop.

Oh, and don't forget that if you do decide to get a generator, you won't be able to use the hair dryer between 8pm and 8am anyway, because you can't run the generator then.

You don't need a generator at all, because you don't need most of the fripperies that you describe.

Oh, and don't forget that if you do decide to get a generator, you won't be able to use the hair dryer between 8pm and 8am anyway, because you can't run the generator then.

edited because I was being norty !

Edited by Baldock

Hair dryers/staighterners. For a bloke maybe, but for many ladies they are an essential accessory and lets face not particularly an over the top request!

Without getting into another mud slinging contest regarding the use of generators, you ARE allowed to use a generator after 8pm as long as your boat it out of ear shot to other moorers - not that whisper genarators are particularly noisy anyway! The best models are around 50 - 60db which is around as noisy as the average conversation between two people.

There are plenty of gennies available which would be appropriate - type in 'suitcase generator' in a search engine and do a bit of research. :lol:

Hair dryers/staighterners. For a bloke maybe, but for many ladies they are an essential accessory and lets face not particularly an over the top request!

Without getting into another mud slinging contest regarding the use of generators, you ARE allowed to use a generator after 8pm as long as your boat it out of ear shot to other moorers - not that whisper genarators are particularly noisy anyway! The best models are around 50 - 60db which is around as noisy as the average conversation between two people.

There are plenty of gennies available which would be appropriate - type in 'suitcase generator' in a search engine and do a bit of research. :lol:

That's rather a sexist comment.

I know many ladies who can manage just fine without hair dryers (just as their ancestors did), and several men who would faint at the prospect of going without one.

Yes, you are allowed to use a generator after 8pm, if out of earshot of other people (not just moorers, people in houses count as well).

And as to the "they aren't very noisy anyway", it is a regular claim made by those who have them, but the fact remains that they are not silent, and that 50-60db constant drone is far more annoying than 50-60db of ordinary speech.

That's rather a sexist comment.

I know many ladies who can manage just fine without hair dryers (just as their ancestors did), and several men who would faint at the prospect of going without one.

Yes, you are allowed to use a generator after 8pm, if out of earshot of other people (not just moorers, people in houses count as well).

And as to the "they aren't very noisy anyway", it is a regular claim made by those who have them, but the fact remains that they are not silent, and that 50-60db constant drone is far more annoying than 50-60db of ordinary speech.

There was nothing sexist about that comment what so ever: For many ladies - as in not all!

You must have some prety good ears Dave!

I had the same problem with a woman needing these fripperies, solution was to buy a 1KW economy hairdryer(found one in tesco last year) which works a treat and far better than any 12v affair. I had a 2.5kw inverter fitted( but a smaller one would have done), so no need for a genny, just 2 or 3 hours cruising a day keeps the batteries charged for all items including the fridge/ 800w kettle toaster and microwave. As to straighteners, there are gas powered versions I believe, but not sure on the Boat safety and gas aspect LOL

Ta Sue

The portable petrol generator of choice for most people is the Honda EU20i.

However, bringing petrol on board your boat and storing it has safety implications and is something you need to be aware of. Petrol fumes behave much in the same way as LPG. The other safety aspects to be aware of are carbon monoxide (so the positioning of a running generator is very important), and also the electrical connection to your boat.

I had the same problem with a woman needing these fripperies, solution was to buy a 1KW economy hairdryer(found one in tesco last year) which works a treat and far better than any 12v affair. I had a 2.5kw inverter fitted( but a smaller one would have done), so no need for a genny, just 2 or 3 hours cruising a day keeps the batteries charged for all items including the fridge/ 800w kettle toaster and microwave. As to straighteners, there are gas powered versions I believe, but not sure on the Boat safety and gas aspect LOL

I don't know about hairdryers as I am a stranger to such aids to feminine beauty (as anyone who's met me will attest) but Ellen tells me that you think they're important until you get a haircut. In an emergency the hot (h)air blower in the ladies' lav does the job a treat. It's not unknown for Ellen to go to the lav and emerge with glossy shiny hair a few minutes later. I rarely vacuum but I do have a Numatic George wet 'n'dry thingy for draining the bilge.

Oh, and I have a little Honda genny and that is runs most of my kitchen appliances in extremis; though obviously not all together! It came from JustGenerators and was very reasonable considering it's quality.

Wriggly