Windlass Holders

Liam

Featured Posts

chuck it onto the bank before you climb up

That strikes me as a risky strategy: you're chucking a heavy metal object above your head onto a surface you can't see and there's a risk you'll not throw hard enough or the windlasss will snag on something on the way up. If that happens the windlass is likely to come back down onto your upturned face. Alan could try it and add a broken nose and/or a black eye to his collection.....

MP.

What are peoples thoughts on windlass belts or holders?

At the back end of last year I managed to get out for a bit of solo boating and found that when using the lock ladders I tucked the windlass into one of my belt loops as I'd prefer to have both hands free with not being so clever with heights... Are they as good as they claim to be? I know there has been some talk about them in the past on here. Ideally its just a case of me wanting to have both hands free when using a ladder, but also not having the windlass bashing me in my erm, bits, or risk dropping it!

Ta :lol:

:lol: After reading several replies to this post what worries me is that apparently some blokes use windlasses. Now whilst the single handed male has no option to do this female chore surely you blokes with women on board never carry one and a woman wearing a thick leather belt may look a bit butch :lol:

I usually "wear" the windlass on the left shoulder, with the handle to the back, and under shirt/T shirt, etc. Seems secure, and comfortable, although I sometimes need to steady it when jogging to the next lock.

I have tried a belt holster, but found that I needed to keep a hand on the windlass to stop it bouncing against my legs.

Iain

I am not so keen on windlass holsters although I have seen some people using them OK and that's fine too. When I had a go with one I kept getting the holster caught on things which was more of a hindrance than a help.

If I am wearing a coat I sometimes tuck the windlass by my neck under the coat and it seems to hold there well enough and gives me both hands free to climb lock ladders etc. Otherwise I just put the windlass on the ground then get off the boat, climb the ladder etc or put the windlass on the boat roof first then get aboard.

Actually many archive pictures, and some accounts seem to show that tucking it into a coat collar was perhaps the more normal. I seem to recall even "The Bargee", although obviously not an exact piece of historical recording, shows Ronnie Barker with one this way, no doubt indicating it was commonplace at the time.

Pictures in that wonderful book of Longden photos would even seem to imply that at least one well known boatman had the "special trousers" with large pockets, as there seems to be a windlass handle pointing out of his "strides" in at least one picture.

Most working boatmen used windlasses with a very much smaller throw than are now used by the majority of leisure boaters, and they would have been single headed, and much more evenly balanced. Such windlasses work well in a belt, and always used to feel secure to me. The arrangement does not work so well if the windlass is double headed, and severely unbalanced in weight and size for the bits each side of the (approx) 90 degree bend.

Most of the working boatmen/ women I knew in late 50`s/ early 60`s always used to hang the windlass around their neck& tuck handle & spindle ends under the coat lapels I remember a well known Northern Boatman telling me off for having my windless stuffed in the back of my belt [ You`ll cripple yer sen pushin on they lock beams] I was told & it was much more comfortable not having the windless jabbing the base of your spine

Tucking the windlas handle down the back of your shirt or jacket has an additional advantage in the winter. It was once explained to me by a working Boatman back in the 1960's that it keeps the handle warm and dry, which prevents it sticking to your hands in icy weather.

Edited by David Schweizer

Waste of money. Wear a decent belt and tuck it that, or chuck it onto the bank before you climb up

When I'm using lock ladders, I tuck the handle of the windlass under the shoulder strap of my bra. Not that you could do it (I hope...) :lol:

I do exactly that (chuck it up onto the bank that is, as I don't wear either a decent belt or a bra). Just before climbing a lock ladder, as I stand on the boat roof I chuck the windlass up, and then pick it up as I emerge from the top of the ladder.

I've never managed to hit anybody yet with it.

That would be as stupid as someone making a grab for a hat that blew off their head whilst cycling!

Can't believe anyone would be that daft! :lol: :lol:

Oh ! so THAT'S how you did it !! No doubt chasing a lady ?

... anyway... Is all progressing well now ?

Nick

I'd worry with having it in a holster that it would get caught on the ladder. My favoured method is angle down the back of the belt (open the gates before putting it back in) and I have scientifically tested this technique by jumping up and down as violently as possible and it didn't fall out. I actually find its presence there rather comforting. On the other hand, I have never mastered the art of getting it to stay over my shoulder. Perhaps it depends on body shape.

I've also seen at least one person (Julia Cook) tuck the angle into a belt at the front.

Edited by Chertsey

I met a chap who kept his windlass tucked into what looked like a custom made "holster" with the right angle bend pointing downwards, positioned in the small of his back.

He must have been a highly accomplished and seasoned boater with several decades experience as he merely grunted at my cheery greeting.

Suppose I should have been grateful for that!

:lol: After reading several replies to this post what worries me is that apparently some blokes use windlasses. Now whilst the single handed male has no option to do this female chore surely you blokes with women on board never carry one and a woman wearing a thick leather belt may look a bit butch :lol:

Where are all these men armed with a windlass? I only see women working locks whilst the man? stands nonchalantly holding the knob and giving words of advice.

Sue

Where are all these men armed with a windlass? I only see women working locks whilst the man? stands nonchalantly holding the knob and giving words of advice.

Sue

There's one here who is pretty good with the windlass, cos his better half is good with the tiller :lol:

On narrow locks I much prefer working the locks, because I can step across the bottom gates, saving an eternity!

• 5 years later...

Post removed as now is completely out of context due to the person quoted seemingly having their post removed by a moderator.

Edited by MJG
removed quote

Sue

I never go through a lock without my windlass to hand, I also use the lock ladder at most locks even though I am not single handed.