Windlass Holders

Liam

Featured Posts

What are peoples thoughts on windlass belts or holders?

At the back end of last year I managed to get out for a bit of solo boating and found that when using the lock ladders I tucked the windlass into one of my belt loops as I'd prefer to have both hands free with not being so clever with heights... Are they as good as they claim to be? I know there has been some talk about them in the past on here. Ideally its just a case of me wanting to have both hands free when using a ladder, but also not having the windlass bashing me in my erm, bits, or risk dropping it!

Ta :lol:

It seems to me that they are considered particularly naff by the cognoscenti. :lol:

That said if I could find one I really like, I'd use it, and damn what people think.

I always used to just wear a windlass in my belt in the past, but no longer find it secure enough, and have come close to losing expensive alloy windlasses.

The problem is that several of the designs on offer have not really been thought through. I've tried two types - simple loop on belt where whole windlass hangs down, and the "big holster on back of belt" type. I don't particularly like either, (the loop type is no good for lock-wheeling on a bike), although OH uses the holster type all the time, and seems to get on fine.

At the back end of last year I managed to get out for a bit of solo boating and found that when using the lock ladders I tucked the windlass into one of my belt loops as I'd prefer to have both hands free with not being so clever with heights... Are they as good as they claim to be? I know there has been some talk about them in the past on here. Ideally its just a case of me wanting to have both hands free when using a ladder, but also not having the windlass bashing me in my erm, bits, or risk dropping it!

I've tried two different types of "holster" style holders which are ok but the windlass does tend to clatter against the boat as you walk down the gunnels. I prefer using a firm belt and slotting the windlass in at the base of my back.

I do not remember any working boatmen having special belts for windlasses, (I know, Alan Fincher will now produce a photo proving me wrong) and I have never found the need for one. I usually hold the windlass in my hand when climbing lock ladders, and have never found that too challenging. If it is a particularly dep lock, I may sometimes stuff the handle of the windlass down the back of my shirt or jacket, haven't lost one yet.

I do not remember any working boatmen having special belts for windlasses, (I know, Alan Fincher will now produce a photo proving me wrong) and I have never found the need for one. I usually hold the windlass in my hand when climbing lock ladders, and have never found that too challenging. If it is a particularly dep lock, I may sometimes stuff the handle of the windlass down the back of my shirt or jacket, haven't lost one yet.

When working locks I always stuff the windlass down the back of my (belted) trousers. But I only do this with the traditional single-headed windlasses. I am sure it would be uncomfortable with a double headed job. For the sake of clarity, hold the windlass by the head and stuff the crank downwards. It is so comfortable you will forget it is there. I have never yet lost a windlass when climbing ladders etc and on more than one occasion I have forgotten it is there when going to the pub for a pint.

Phil

(waiting for the double entendres)

When working locks I always stuff the windlass down the back of my (belted) trousers. But I only do this with the traditional single-headed windlasses. I am sure it would be uncomfortable with a double headed job. For the sake of clarity, hold the windlass by the head and stuff the crank downwards. It is so comfortable you will forget it is there. I have never yet lost a windlass when climbing ladders etc and on more than one occasion I have forgotten it is there when going to the pub for a pint.

Phil

Yes - The " are you pleased to see me or is that a windlass in your trousers ? " type of doobler ontondrers :lol:

Nick

Guest wanted

Phil

Smirk!

Between the teeth!

I have been tempted to get tool belts in the past but my other half reckons that i'd end up looking like one of those blokes in the pub with their phone hooked onto their belt! I know it aint about fashion but you might look a bit of a knob!?

I have been tempted to get tool belts in the past but my other half reckons that i'd end up looking like one of those blokes in the pub with their phone hooked onto their belt! I know it aint about fashion but you might look a bit of a knob!?

I think I'd rather look like a knob than fall off a lock ladder because I didn't have two free hands.

I've got a cheap leather tool belt attachent which must have originally been meant for a screwdriver or something because I had to cut the hole bigger.

I've only used it a couple of times but to me it certainly feels much more secure than just stuffing the windlass through my belt or down my trousers. I've tried that and I don't like it - the problem is that if the windlass does start to fall out, one's natural reaction may be to try and grab it, which could potentially be dangerous. I don't like holding the windlass in my hand while using ladders either.

I only think it's really relevant for single-handers, I can't see why anyone moving the boat with someone else would need to use a lock ladder? I certainly wouldn't touch them if there was an alternative. I also don't care whether working boaters used a windlass holder or not. My boat is full of equipment I'm sure they never even imagined.

Edited by blackrose

or bid for a 'bayonet frog' on ebay - I've just won one for £3.

I'll let you know when I test drive it on the Audlem flight next week.

Is that the Romanian one or the British one?

I will await your test drive with interest. :lol:

I've tried that and I don't like it - the problem is that if the windlass does start to fall out, one's natural reaction may be to try and grab it, which could potentially be dangerous.

That would be as stupid as someone making a grab for a hat that blew off their head whilst cycling!

Can't believe anyone would be that daft! :lol: :lol:

I think they are a waste of time/money. If you have a 'windlass holder' you need to be wearing a belt to put it on - so why not just tuck the windlass straight into your belt - just as the working boatmen of old would have done? Having said that, a decent thick leather belt is essential!

Is that the Romanian one or the British one?

I will await your test drive with interest. :lol:

The Romanian one. They came second at the battle of Stalingrad 1943, but I'm sure that's no reflection on their bayonet holders.

I do like both hands free to climb lock ladders but if anybody laughs or calls it naff, it's going straight in the cut - I'm very sensitive, you know!

I think they are a waste of time/money. If you have a 'windlass holder' you need to be wearing a belt to put it on - so why not just tuck the windlass straight into your belt - just as the working boatmen of old would have done? Having said that, a decent thick leather belt is essential!

Actually many archive pictures, and some accounts seem to show that tucking it into a coat collar was perhaps the more normal. I seem to recall even "The Bargee", although obviously not an exact piece of historical recording, shows Ronnie Barker with one this way, no doubt indicating it was commonplace at the time.

Pictures in that wonderful book of Longden photos would even seem to imply that at least one well known boatman had the "special trousers" with large pockets, as there seems to be a windlass handle pointing out of his "strides" in at least one picture.

Most working boatmen used windlasses with a very much smaller throw than are now used by the majority of leisure boaters, and they would have been single headed, and much more evenly balanced. Such windlasses work well in a belt, and always used to feel secure to me. The arrangement does not work so well if the windlass is double headed, and severely unbalanced in weight and size for the bits each side of the (approx) 90 degree bend.

Stick the handle end down the back of the neck of your jumper, or inside the collar of your jacket. The angle sits over your shoulder andstays there unless greatly provoked. I've tried the 'stick it down the belt' approach, but it tends to pull me strides down (comes of having no waist anymore).

Actually many archive pictures, and some accounts seem to show that tucking it into a coat collar was perhaps the more normal. I seem to recall even "The Bargee", although obviously not an exact piece of historical recording, shows Ronnie Barker with one this way, no doubt indicating it was commonplace at the time.

Pictures in that wonderful book of Longden photos would even seem to imply that at least one well known boatman had the "special trousers" with large pockets, as there seems to be a windlass handle pointing out of his "strides" in at least one picture.

Most working boatmen used windlasses with a very much smaller throw than are now used by the majority of leisure boaters, and they would have been single headed, and much more evenly balanced. Such windlasses work well in a belt, and always used to feel secure to me. The arrangement does not work so well if the windlass is double headed, and severely unbalanced in weight and size for the bits each side of the (approx) 90 degree bend.

I am sure everything you say is quite correct - my comments was based on watching boats working through Hillmorton Locks back in the 1960s and, mostly, that would have been during the Summer when the crews were not wearing jackets or pullovers. As for special trousers, I seem to recall that most were wearing old 'de-mob' suit trousers complete with turn-ups! But, of course, these were not the halcyon days of canal carrying - more like the last gasps of a dying tradition . . .

Stick the handle end down the back of the neck of your jumper, or inside the collar of your jacket. The angle sits over your shoulder andstays there unless greatly provoked. I've tried the 'stick it down the belt' approach, but it tends to pull me strides down (comes of having no waist anymore).

This is fine in the Winter when one has loads of clothes on but in Summer it helps not to need a jumper or jacket . . .

That would be as stupid as someone making a grab for a hat that blew off their head whilst cycling!

Can't believe anyone would be that daft! :lol: :lol:

It's a reaction Alan, it's not governed by one's intelligence. You're not supposed to swerve to avoid kangaroos on Australian roads. Everyone knows that but they still do it. I did it too and ended up in a ditch on the side of the road.

Edit: Anyway, on the windlass holder it's quite simple: if you want to use a windlass holder then use one, if you don't want to use one then don't. It's not like they're being made compulsory or anything.

Edited by blackrose

Waste of money. Wear a decent belt and tuck it that, or chuck it onto the bank before you climb up

When I'm using lock ladders, I tuck the handle of the windlass under the shoulder strap of my bra. Not that you could do it (I hope...) :lol:

Edited by Kez

Waste of money. Wear a decent belt and tuck it that, or chuck it onto the bank before you climb up

Mine cost £1.50, so it really broke the bank. :lol:

I chucked my windlass up to the top of a deep lock once along with my centre rope and apparently the windlass just missed some bloke's dog. I didn't see it but that's what he said and he wasn't very happy. The dog looked a bit surprised too! :lol:

Seriously though - if you can stand on the roof and see where you're throwing the windlass that's fine, but if you can't see where you're throwing a heavy metal object then it's not such a good idea. You might hit a child.

Edited by blackrose

Mine cost £1.50, so it really broke the bank. :lol:

I chucked my windlass up to the top of a deep lock once along with my centre rope and apparently the windlass just missed some bloke's dog. I didn't see it but that's what he said and he wasn't very happy. The dog looked a bit surprised too! :lol:

Seriously though - if you can stand on the roof and see where you're throwing the windlass that's fine, but if you can't see where you're throwing a heavy metal object then it's not such a good idea. You might hit a child.

I wasn't suggesting lobbing it like a shotput :lol: just onto the edge where you can pick it up once your at the top of the ladder

Its what I got told to do when I was to young for the bra trick. Thank you Billy Atkins :lol:

Just to add another bit to this thread, the majority of the locks I worked at the back end of last year, when I was alone, I worked through in the dark and generally not in populated spots.

I am not a fan of heights at all, and that coupled with a usually slimy lock ladder that you can't get the whole of your boot onto, and with it being dark aswell I need to have both hands free. I've tried chucking it onto the lock side but would rather not try and find a windlass sat in the bottom of a hedge in the middle of nowhere when its pitch black.

I think I will try the second wide leather belt approach as I always wear a normal belt with any pants/trousers I have on, and will see how it goes as I've already tried it in my usual belt loops, which I've all but now lost (ripped off). I've tried it over the shoulder, that didn't work, probably due to me not really having any!

Thanks for the comments.

Snippety

I've only used it a couple of times but to me it certainly feels much more secure than just stuffing the windlass through my belt or down my trousers.

It can be very cold against the bare parts. Prewarm it on the stove (but not for too long)

:lol:

N

Just to add another bit to this thread, the majority of the locks I worked at the back end of last year, when I was alone, I worked through in the dark and generally not in populated spots.

I am not a fan of heights at all, and that coupled with a usually slimy lock ladder that you can't get the whole of your boot onto, and with it being dark aswell I need to have both hands free. I've tried chucking it onto the lock side but would rather not try and find a windlass sat in the bottom of a hedge in the middle of nowhere when its pitch black.

I think I will try the second wide leather belt approach as I always wear a normal belt with any pants/trousers I have on, and will see how it goes as I've already tried it in my usual belt loops, which I've all but now lost (ripped off). I've tried it over the shoulder, that didn't work, probably due to me not really having any!

Thanks for the comments.

On a more serious note, but rather :lol: I always use a BW style life jacket when boating on my own. Call me a wimp if you like!

N

On a more serious note, but rather :lol: I always use a BW style life jacket when boating on my own. Call me a wimp if you like!

N

Now if you wore a bra you could use two ballons as buoyancy aids and you'd have somewhere to tuck your windlass!

I do not remember any working boatmen having special belts for windlasses, (I know, Alan Fincher will now produce a photo proving me wrong)

I understand it was usual to drill a hole, through the traditional bowler hat. to pass the handle through.