Bancroft Basin - Easter Monday

Modge

Featured Posts

Hello all.

We're hoping to get to Bancraft Basin from Napton, arriving probably late afternoon on Easter Monday, (5th April).

I've seen the various threads about berths in the basin filling up fairly quickly and was wondering if this is a feasable idea. I've also seen the posts about Japanese tourists climbing on boats :lol: , is there anything else we should be wary about?

Finally, can anyone recommend a decent pub in Stratford for bar food, etc.

thanks,

Modge.

Hello all.

We're hoping to get to Bancraft Basin from Napton, arriving probably late afternoon on Easter Monday, (5th April).

I've seen the various threads about berths in the basin filling up fairly quickly and was wondering if this is a feasable idea. I've also seen the posts about Japanese tourists climbing on boats :lol: , is there anything else we should be wary about?

thanks,

Modge.

As you have had no other replies I will give you what help I can!

We have only ever been in Bancroft basin late or early season It is a very popular place and does get busy!

There are moorings out on the river just outside the basin but they are at the mercy of the river levels

Late afternoon on a bank holiday may be a problem!

I don't think the Japanese tourists are a serious issue/problem if it is a nice weekend it will be busy. But it is a pleasent place to moor.

Lots of places serving food various standards/prices within walking distance.

Hello all.

thanks,

Modge.

You may be better to post your request on the OwnerShips forum. Plenty of shared owners make that trip. However, it is a fairly energetic thing to do in a week and will leave little time to explore S-on-A.

If you see boats moored outside the pub before the basin it is a good sign that the basin might be full.

Hi Modge,

We cruised to Stratford last August (on our honeymoon), leaving Calcutt marina very near Napton junction, on a Friday afternoon.

Friday night - Long Itchington , Saturday night - Cape at Warwick, Sunday night - Kingswood Junction, Monday night - Wilmcote.

Arrived in Bancroft basin at midday on Tuesday and managed to grab the last available pontoon space (No 8), adjacent to the statues.

We stayed the maximum 48 hours allowed and had a great time wandering around.

No problems with the swarming tourists !

Probably the best value pub in Stratford is the Golden Bee in Sheep street (a Wetherspoons) - very near the basin - which serves good pub fayre and always has 3/4 real ales on.

What's the name of your boat ? We'll look out for you !

We are staying in Stratford 5th/6th April for a long Easter weekend.

Best wishes

Phil

Hi Modge

Were hoping to get down to Stratford as well over Easter.

Obviously the Basin does get full and its pot luck if there is any space when you arrive.

We often prefer to go onto the river and moor alongside the Rivergardens opposite. Its (a bit) quieter and the tourists leave you alone a bit more, you can get a daily pass from the Tourist Information Office which is situated just by the Basin, I think its about £5 a day

Geoff

Thanks for all of the replies.

I have considered mooring on the river, but I'm not sure the hire company (Napton Boats) would allow it. Also we've not been on a river before in a narrowboat, (done Cheshire, 4 counties, Warwickshire rings, etc)!

Phil, the boat's called Hannah.

The provisional plan is Long Itchington Saturday, Rowington (Tom O' the Wood) Sunday, then see where we get to by 5-6 p.m. Monday. If we reach Wilmcote early enough ( about 3 ish) press on into Stratford.

We should then be able to take our time coming back to Napton, planning on getting there Friday evening.

We do have a fairly experienced crew so longish days, and lots of locks are not a problem.

Edited by Modge