Erewash canal

Gunna Do

Featured Posts

Quite fancy a trip[ up the Erewash canal at Easter, weather co-operating. It's local and do-able without setting any records. We've had the usual comments like, "Why bother, it's a dump" and "The Morons will have a field day with you"! Well it's there so has to be cruised!

Any constructive tips, special keys required or recommended moorings would be appreciated.

The scenery is best described as urban/industrial untill you get up the top third or so.

The locks are a bit stiff and you will need an anti vandal key.

I don't think you will have any more bother with kids than anywhere else.

Padmore moorings (near Bridge 10) in Sandiacre are very convenient for the local PO, pubs and shops including a LIDL and proper butcher.

A bit further up at Ilkeston you can moor alongside playing fields near Gallows lock.

There is another LIDL and pub at Langley Mill terminus.

In summer it can be a bit shallow and you need to watch out for the usual fridges and shopping trolleys around Ilkeston.

If you need any more info contact Dyad who lives locally or myself.

Hope this helps.

We were advised not to bother with the Erewash but found it quite pleasant though we did have kids stoning us from the other side of the canal (couldn't get at 'em!) when we moored just north of Stensons Lock, gave up and moved on, otherwise ok. Interesting basin at end of canal, walk past up to the very end and see restoration work going on.

We were advised not to bother with the Erewash but found it quite pleasant though we did have kids stoning us from the other side of the canal (couldn't get at 'em!) when we moored just north of Stensons Lock, gave up and moved on, otherwise ok. Interesting basin at end of canal, walk past up to the very end and see restoration work going on.

Have you not invested in a decent catapult yet? :lol:

We did the Erewash last year and had a great few days. Really enjoyed it and Langley Mill basin at the top is great with very a friendly bunch who welcomed us. Have a look at my blog there's some pix on that. We also moored in Sandiacre and no problems what so ever. Erewash reminded me of part of the Coventry - very varied and always interesting.

Quite fancy a trip[ up the Erewash canal at Easter, weather co-operating. It's local and do-able without setting any records. We've had the usual comments like, "Why bother, it's a dump" and "The Morons will have a field day with you"! Well it's there so has to be cruised!

Any constructive tips, special keys required or recommended moorings would be appreciated.

It has it's nice bits and poor bits, I live in the poor bit :lol:

Joking aside, I have spare anti vandal keys if you need one and an open offer to anyone in need of lock wheeling if I'm about.

Kev

As Paddy said we had a great time going down there pleased we did it although it is very urban there are quite a few places where you wouldnt know it (just faint road noises).The lock gates are heavy but i think there have been some replaced lately

I was amused when we went down cos people had warned us about a load of drunks who hang about around the cut.When we met these said folk they first appoligised for holding cans first thing in the morning then with polite conversation helped us with the locks.(even got a better class of alchis down there)

All in all well worth doing :lol:

It has it's nice bits and poor bits, I live in the poor bit :lol:

Joking aside, I have spare anti vandal keys if you need one and an open offer to anyone in need of lock wheeling if I'm about.

Kev

Hi and thanks for the replies to everyone. Is this anti vandal key the tee shaped tube key that others refer to as the Handcuff key? We have one of those and wondered when we may need it!

Hi and thanks for the replies to everyone. Is this anti vandal key the tee shaped tube key that others refer to as the Handcuff key? We have one of those and wondered when we may need it!

Yes, that's it! It reaches down to a square headed bolt that releases the "handcuff" around the bit where the windlass goes.

Kev