Chesterfield Waterside gets green light

Josher

Featured Posts

chesterfield_waterside.jpg

17 March, 2010

Mixed-use £300m regeneration development will be based around canal basin

The planning application for Chesterfield Waterside, one of the largest regeneration projects in the UK, was finally given the green light by Chesterfield council on Monday.

Chesterfield Waterside is a £300m regeneration project led by Urbo, the regeneration arm of local businesses Bolsterstone and Arnold Laver Group, working in partnership with Chesterfield council. The regeneration site spans 60 acres and is based around the River Rother and Chesterfield Canal waterways and the newly constructed canal.

The masterplan was prepared by How Planning and Aecom, whose projects include the Olympic village in east London. The development has been designed to provide a variety of sustainable uses, including 300,000ft² of office space, car parks and 70,000ft² for retail, restaurants, bars and shops.

Peter Swallow, chairman of Chesterfield Waterside Partnership, said: “This is a significant milestone for Chesterfield. The scheme will play a key part in the area's 'modern awakening', which is the prime objective of the town's 'Destination Chesterfield' steering group panel, which comprises senior council officials and leading local businesses.”

Building Magazine

chesterfield_waterside.jpg

17 March, 2010

Mixed-use £300m regeneration development will be based around canal basin

The planning application for Chesterfield Waterside, one of the largest regeneration projects in the UK, was finally given the green light by Chesterfield council on Monday.

Chesterfield Waterside is a £300m regeneration project led by Urbo, the regeneration arm of local businesses Bolsterstone and Arnold Laver Group, working in partnership with Chesterfield council. The regeneration site spans 60 acres and is based around the River Rother and Chesterfield Canal waterways and the newly constructed canal.

The masterplan was prepared by How Planning and Aecom, whose projects include the Olympic village in east London. The development has been designed to provide a variety of sustainable uses, including 300,000ft² of office space, car parks and 70,000ft² for retail, restaurants, bars and shops.

Peter Swallow, chairman of Chesterfield Waterside Partnership, said: “This is a significant milestone for Chesterfield. The scheme will play a key part in the area's 'modern awakening', which is the prime objective of the town's 'Destination Chesterfield' steering group panel, which comprises senior council officials and leading local businesses.”

Building Magazine

Hi

Its a pity there wont any boats there, the canal only goes a few miles to Staveley!

A canal basin without a boat?

Alex

Edited by steelaway

• 2 weeks later...

As a native of Chesterfield I am delighted to see this progress in the restoration of the canal (though it originally closed not just before my time but before my parents' time), but saddened to see those unattractive proposed new buildings which won't improve the view and which, as per the artist's impression, reduce our beloved crooked spire to peeping out shyly from behind them.

The restoration reports stop short at 2007. Is this just because they have been too busy digging to update the web site, or is the work "on hold" at the moment?

As a native of Chesterfield I am delighted to see this progress in the restoration of the canal (though it originally closed not just before my time but before my parents' time), but saddened to see those unattractive proposed new buildings which won't improve the view and which, as per the artist's impression, reduce our beloved crooked spire to peeping out shyly from behind them.

The restoration reports stop short at 2007. Is this just because they have been too busy digging to update the web site, or is the work "on hold" at the moment?

Not sure but i do know that a section was redug close to a new housing development and a adjacent section is currently being restored.

Think they are on the news page of the website.