Narrowboats and wide boats rediscovered at Harefield - the facts

Featured Posts

Estimates were also given on costs of building canals and their tunneling, and time taken to completion. How many were within budget? And how many got completed on time?

HS2. I won't be using it, so there's one reason for not building. Motorway. That I could use, but probably won't. Most goods today travel by road. Most properties are serviced by road vehicles. I get deliveries made by road. So - yeah - lets build a high speed railway. Rail freight gets held up by passenger trains, always has. Then once at a freight terminal it needs to be trans-shipped onto - guess what?

Very valid points Derek! And others too of course

IM back! been boating. Thanks Mark and others for support.

Yes i am a new member i didn't realise that meant i was inferior. I was only trying to answer a question someone had. I just commented that i personally am affected and was attacked for it. I was not the first one to put out a whole post on a subject irrelevant to this forum.

Every bit of the way i have lived my life for the last 15 years is currently under threat and i cannot actually see a future for myself, so i do not need unnecessary nasty comments from someone who obviously sees themselves as superior because they have been on an internet forum for longer!

I only joined this site PURELY because of the harefield flash forum. I always thought canal forums were bitchy and had no interest in joining any. I thought this was a safe subject.

Also Hs2 are cutting costs by keeping compensation low and by not APPEASING objectors (also known as people whose houses and the surrounding countryside that they love are about to be destroyed). The chilterns got the minimum tunnel extension that they were asking for.

It is absolutely disgusting to blame the thousands of people affected by this ridiculous project for pushing the cost up by daring to object to their lives being ripped apart and their property undervalued. Some of these people or their families have lived in these places for decades.

• Greenie 1

Yes i am a new member i didn't realise that meant i was inferior.

Being new doesn't make you inferior.

It does mean that you are significantly less likely to be up to speed on the social norms of a group, particularly when it comes to thread drift.

If you go into a pub that you have never been in before and a regular gets up, turns the TV over to the darts, would you demand that they put it back where it was for Corrie?

Being new doesn't make you inferior.

It does mean that you are significantly less likely to be up to speed on the social norms of a group, particularly when it comes to thread drift.

If you go into a pub that you have never been in before and a regular gets up, turns the TV over to the darts, would you demand that they put it back where it was for Corrie?

I'd go to another pub as couldn't watch either!

• Greenie 1

Yes i am a new member i didn't realise that meant i was inferior. I was only trying to answer a question someone had. I just commented that i personally am affected and was attacked for it. I was not the first one to put out a whole post on a subject irrelevant to this forum.

Every bit of the way i have lived my life for the last 15 years is currently under threat and i cannot actually see a future for myself, so i do not need unnecessary nasty comments from someone who obviously sees themselves as superior because they have been on an internet forum for longer!

I only joined this site PURELY because of the harefield flash forum. I always thought canal forums were bitchy and had no interest in joining any. I thought this was a safe subject.

Also Hs2 are cutting costs by keeping compensation low and by not APPEASING objectors (also known as people whose houses and the surrounding countryside that they love are about to be destroyed). The chilterns got the minimum tunnel extension that they were asking for.

It is absolutely disgusting to blame the thousands of people affected by this ridiculous project for pushing the cost up by daring to object to their lives being ripped apart and their property undervalued. Some of these people or their families have lived in these places for decades.

I too have been boating hence the delay in replying.

Fair enough. Obviously my attempt at an olive branch has been spurned.

There is of course an alternative to building HS2 or even a new motorway on the same alignment. If all the commuter stations on the main line from Rugby to London were closed, sufficient capacity would be released to provide for the extra express passenger and freight trains which are so urgently required.

Surely the residents of the Chilterns can have no objection to that, or would it upset their comfortable commuting, having their cake and eating it, life?

George ex nb Alton retired

Does anyone know about the boats down the side of the Marsworth flight

Do you mean those awaiting (or receiving) Jem Bate's attention?

Where are these, I don't recall any? Will he doung the flight on Sunday so will

Look out for them.

Tim

The boats were rolled over the side of the Wendover Arm behind the lockhouse three locks down.

I assumed he meant the ones that used to form a line on the offside of the Wendover arm, shortly after you entered it. What I think is certain that after they were removed, and I believe buried in dredgings, there will be nothing left worth digging for.

I too have been boating hence the delay in replying.

Fair enough. Obviously my attempt at an olive branch has been spurned.

There is of course an alternative to building HS2 or even a new motorway on the same alignment. If all the commuter stations on the main line from Rugby to London were closed, sufficient capacity would be released to provide for the extra express passenger and freight trains which are so urgently required.

Surely the residents of the Chilterns can have no objection to that, or would it upset their comfortable commuting, having their cake and eating it, life?

George - why oh why do we need to shave off 15 mins from Central London to Birmingham? We all know that the time saving is very likely to be thwarted in many if not the majority of journeys? Do you have vested interests in HS2?

Gentlemen.

You are diverting this thread away from its true purpose. HS2 is not buried here.

There are a dozen or so recoverable "Josher" hulls all capable of restoration and conversion, several very interesting wide boats in need of some type of conservation and a few wooden narrow boats which may reveal some secrets.

Please take the HS2 argument elsewhere and leave this thread with its core intact, thank you.

George - why oh why do we need to shave off 15 mins from Central London to Birmingham? We all know that the time saving is very likely to be thwarted in many if not the majority of journeys? Do you have vested interests in HS2?

I have no financial interests in HS2 if that is your question.

The actual time saving is 32 minutes. This time saving applies to all trains to the north not just Birmingham. Even with just stage one, all fast trains to Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow and many other locations will also save 32 minutes. If time saving isn't worth bothering about, why do we fly from London to Manchester, Glasgow etc. For that matter, why don't we SAIL to New York?

As I pointed out in an earlier post, HS2 is about more than just time saving. The existing rail capacity from the south east to the north west is nearly full. By the time HS2 comes on stream, the existing line WILL be full. A new line is needed. If we have to build one it may as well be high speed.

ps I have just seen Lawrence's post. I am happy to move elsewhere but I will not allow anti HS2 half truths to go unchallenged.

Gentlemen.

You are diverting this thread away from its true purpose. HS2 is not buried here.

There are a dozen or so recoverable "Josher" hulls all capable of restoration and conversion, several very interesting wide boats in need of some type of conservation and a few wooden narrow boats which may reveal some secrets.

Please take the HS2 argument elsewhere and leave this thread with its core intact, thank you.

Green point for you! I agree.

Is it the council that has to be asked about digging them up? Or is it still private land ie if you went for a walk and had a dig who land are you on the reason i ask is there are diffrent laws and things to do depending on the ownership. Or is it cart?

Green point for you! I agree.

Is it the council that has to be asked about digging them up? Or is it still private land ie if you went for a walk and had a dig who land are you on the reason i ask is there are diffrent laws and things to do depending on the ownership. Or is it cart?

It is Hillingdon council land, part of their "parks". CRT not involved (thank God).

The boats were rolled over the side of the Wendover Arm behind the lockhouse three locks down.

Where the Wendover arm is higher than the flight:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Marsworth,+Tring/@51.8155693,-0.6588509,323m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x487659f569b3dec7:0x46fbaa5d215ef5c7!8m2!3d51.8211348!4d-0.6640161?hl=en

I confuse at which lock house you mean there are 4 1 at the top 1 at next lock down then 1 next lock down lock house 62 where my rents and brother lived then there is the one at the bottom of the flight.

The boat owners that are moored breasted up only a short way down the arm are clearly not too interested in making passage easy for anybody else.

It's just as well the hulks that were on the other side got removed, if people want to do that (!)

• 11 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread. I am trying to find this place, but it‘s a bit of a mystery. There is a lake behind Harefield Marina on the side away from the canal. It is quite inaccessible. There is only a locked gate with sign of angling club. There is a trail called Denham quarry and access to the lake on the opposite side of the angling club. No sign of any boats. Is this the right lake? Have the boats disappeared? I even asked the marina manager and he said they‘d never seen the rows of boats that are in the old pictures. Any tips? 🧐

A7683CB4-6A83-4365-A3AF-D56AA6583F63.png