Do you have a permenant 240v hookup

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

Sparked by an earlier post i thought i would just have a quick lookie at how many people have an electricity hook up at their mooring.

An ancillary connection would be do you leave it connected.

We now have our own, (rather than nominally shared points), but as I have not gone down the Galvanic Isolater / Isolation Transformer route, would not be happy with letting my boat potentially being someone else's sacrificial anode on a near permanent basis.

I'm happy to be earth connected no my neighbours for the small periods on the moorings when we are there and need power, but much prefer to disconnect myself from them for the repaming 99 point something percent of the time.

I might consider it for background heat at very cold times, but at the moment just drain enough of the domestic water system, really the only thing likely to suffer at say minus 10.

GI's seem expensive for a few big diodes, and IT's seem to need to be ashore, which ain't that easy to achieve.

:lol:

Recent improvement has been to provide 240 volt power to our antique Electrolux "3-way" fridge. It proves to be very effective, and undoubtedly cheaper to use this when we are present on the mooring than use the Calor Gas. Simple but effective. (12 volt will of course remain unconnected, though! :lol: )

Sparked by an earlier post i thought i would just have a quick lookie at how many people have an electricity hook up at their mooring.

Just about every berth holder at our Marina (Boroughbridge) has their own hook up and meter.

We have access to a hookup, but there are fewer sockets than boats, so we're encouraged not to leave boats plugged in full-time. The encouragement is backed-up by a 60p per day standing charge for being plugged in. Like Alan, I don't have a GI or transformer, so I plug in whilst I'm on the boat, mainly to top-up the batteries and for a fan-heater in winter (great for fast heat in a boat that's been unoccupied and unheated for a week.) I never leave the power on whilst I'm not there.

MP.

Every boat at our marina has their own 240v hookup point. You pay for what electric you use. Pretty much everybody in the marina is hooked up on a permanent basis. Payment is by cards which are purchased through the marina, security office or shop in either £5 or £14 increments.

Every boat at our marina has hook up facility - nearly all are hooked up full time - we feed our meters, cards £5 or £10 - we stay aboard full time and use about £20 a month - feels very relaxed compared to the previous two winters which we spent on winter moorings with no hook up

cheers Bill and denise NB Indulgence

And if he does not have any anodes fitted then your props, rudder/leg will be better anodes than his steel hull :lol:

Good job he has plenty of anodes then :lol:

On that note though the anode that protects our props was very corroded, however the anodes that protect the leg and trim tabs where relatively unscathed.

Are the cruisers all tupperware?

Oh yes. Some very expensive tupperware at that.

We're at Bourne End. the only narrowboat amongst a sea of very expensive plastic.

240v hookup for every boat (if you want it). Feels like cheating to have an electric kettle.

But it's been very handy over the winter, while we are doing an electrical refit and sorting

ourselves out.

Im also on a permenant hook up, Also paying by cards which are purchased through the office.

But how much are you paying for a unit,?? mine currently works out at 10p.

these mtrs can be programed by the marina, so need to be aware that unit charges can variy greatly!!

had one mtr that was set up for 20p per unit!!!, i think the average domestic unit is 9.7 so my 10p is very good value!!

be nice to know, if you have mtrs with the two blue buttons, these are easy to find out the unit charge

Col

Im also on a permenant hook up, Also paying by cards which are purchased through the office.

these mtrs can be programed by the marina, so need to be aware that unit charges can variy greatly!!

had one mtr that was set up for 20p per unit!!!, i think the average domestic unit is 9.7 so my 10p is very good value!!

be nice to know, if you have mtrs with the two blue buttons, these are easy to find out the unit charge

Col

They are also dreadfully insecure!

Programming cards that would allow you to fiddle the meter are about a tenner.

Col

Is that correct - prices for units consumed can vary?

Our Marine Director says that by law he must pass on the units to us at the same cost as the utility company charge him - i.e. he cannot buy the power in at 10p a unit and sell it to us for a higher figure. We do pay a Meter Hire charge of something like £25pa (which I don't think is unreasonable).

Jez

Is that correct - prices for units consumed can vary?

Our Marine Director says that by law he must pass on the units to us at the same cost as the utility company charge him - i.e. he cannot buy the power in at 10p a unit and sell it to us for a higher figure. We do pay a Meter Hire charge of something like £25pa (which I don't think is unreasonable).

Jez

I dont know that!!! be nice to know.

I think like any business the marina buys in electricity, but like all business he has to make a profit, he has the cost of mtrs and cards to cover

so a marina that buys in at 10p,then has to cover the cost of keeping stock of cards, cost of card meters etc so the marina buying in at 9.7 per units could charge what ever to cover costs and profit.

so what i found at last year i was spending £20 per week!!!, found at the mtr was set to 20 per unit, so now have the mtr set at 10p per unit which halves my bill, but can you imagine a marina buying in electric at 10p, x 50 boats putting in £20 cards a week and the marina setting the unit cost at 20p!!!

and the sad thing about it, a lot of folks dont even think about it, when the electric runs out, slap in another card!!

they may even in winter turn fires down, the water heater off and genraly be ultra careful because they are going through cards,

yet they could be paying twice the national average for their lecky in the first place!!!

Easy way to look at it for every £10 card, your geting £5 worth of electric, the other £5 is for the marina/boatyard!!!

Col

I dont know that!!! be nice to know.

I think like any business the marina buys in electricity, but like all business he has to make a profit, he has the cost of mtrs and cards to cover

so a marina that buys in at 10p,then has to cover the cost of keeping stock of cards, cost of card meters etc so the marina buying in at 9.7 per units could charge what ever to cover costs and profit.

Which is illegal.

They are not allowed to make a profit. They can cover their overheads on the cards (about 1-2p per card), and on the electrical installation, but they cannot add a profit margin.

Col

I believe we have a problem with our electricity tower. Unless we really only have used less than £28 in £18 months :lol:

The maintenance company cant find anything amiss though :lol:

We have a shoreline as do all the boats on our mooring

Full 16amp capability (and some) connected 24/7 when we are there.

Still don't use electric kettle or toaster though would spoil our routine in the morning :lol:

Which is illegal.

They are not allowed to make a profit. They can cover their overheads on the cards (about 1-2p per card), and on the electrical installation, but they cannot add a profit margin.

To be fair I think your right, but ive had a fall out about this before,

Very interesting, because I know of a large marina, that has a unit set as 20p (FACT)

and folks dont seem to be interested in cost per unit, they just stick the card in and away they go

where is it on paper that Marinas, caravan parks cant put profit to services.??

many thanks in advance

Col

To be fair I think your right, but ive had a fall out about this before,

Very interesting, because I know of a large marina, that has a unit set as 20p (FACT)

and folks dont seem to be interested in cost per unit, they just stick the card in and away they go

where is it on paper that Marinas, caravan parks cant put profit to services.??

many thanks in advance

Col

This seems to be what you are looking for

I believe we have a problem with our electricity tower. Unless we really only have used less than £28 in £18 months :lol:

The maintenance company cant find anything amiss though :lol:

I once moored for a few months in a marina with electric whilst I was re-fitting the transom wood on the Dawncraft and although we had Sky on the boat, loads of drilling and cutting and general battery charging etc, we only used 40p's worth in three months!!

We were on a 'read' type meter so it must have been accurate, but switched off when we weren't there (had main switch on the boat) and were only there at week ends. It was a half mile treck for water there but the owners were very nice, and handy for home.

Our main mooring (15 years odd) didn't have electric but we never missed it, just had two batteries and took one home to charge and swapped them each time we came. Never an issue in normal use.

One guy in a narrow boat lived on it on the same moorings and never had electric, just ran his engine now and then.