Calor gas bottle caps

magnetman

Featured Posts

It's a Michigan Wheel Co prop bought through T Norris:

http://www.tnorrismarine.co.uk/inboard.php

It doesn't look quite so skinny in real life, but now that you mention it, it does look small. I don't know if the hub size is normally dictated by the shaft size (1 1/2"), but I guess I'll find out if it's any good when it goes on next week. Heres hoping it fits, and the boat doesn't go flying in the wrong direction when I put it in gear!! :lol:

Mike

Yes the boss size is, to a degree, dictated by the shaft size. 1 1/2" is quite a skinny shaft for that size of prop. Probably absolutely fine in open water, but canal boat sterngear should be built to cope with the risk of hard knocks. The risk is of splitting the boss, or bending the shaft, if too skinny.

Tim

Edit to add, if as I presume it's for a proper marine JP with reduction gear, it will go in the right direction, but I'm sure you knew that really!

Edited by Timleech

Yes the boss size is, to a degree, dictated by the shaft size. 1 1/2" is quite a skinny shaft for that size of prop. Probably absolutely fine in open water, but canal boat sterngear should be built to cope with the risk of hard knocks. The risk is of splitting the boss, or bending the shaft, if too skinny.

Tim

Yes, I'm genuinely very surprised to see a prop of that size on a shaft of only 1 1/2".

Given the challenging boating Mike seems to get involved in, I think I'd be more than a bit nervous.

I don't know how much unsupported shaft you plan to have between the back of the rear stern tube bearing and the front of the boss, but after allowing enough clearance from anything else, I'd want to keep it as short as possible.

That looks a very heavy rotating mass to have cantilevered off the end of an unsupported shaft only 1 1/2" in diameter, (to me at least, but I'm not an engineer!).

I don't think I'll be offering a "tug of war" with you, Mike - I doubt you would notice we were even there, whilst you pulling away!

Edited by alan_fincher

Yes, I'm genuinely very surprised to see a prop of that size on a shaft of only 1 1/2".

Given the challenging boating Mike seems to get involved in, I think I'd be more than a bit nervous.

I don't know how much unsupported shaft you plan to have between the back of the rear stern tube bearing and the front of the boss, but after allowing enough clearance from anything else, I'd want to keep it as short as possible.

That looks a very heavy rotating mass to have cantilevered off the end of an unsupported shaft only 1 1/2" in diameter, (to me at least, but I'm not an engineer!).

I don't think I'll be offering a "tug of war" with you, Mike - I doubt you would notice we were even there, whilst you pulling away!

I'm going to wear a gas mask at Rickmansworth to protect my delicate lungs from the smoke :lol:

I think that prop is going to be too big for Victoria's engine :lol:

Funny how we got from the history of calor gas bottle caps, admittedly a bit boring, to propellers, which is far from boring :lol:

I had always cut the bottom out of the big Brasso tins to use to cover the engine stack.

Being a brass addict I have recently graduated to a second world war brass artilliery shell - £15 from a 'nick nack' shop and sometimes found at car boot sales! Needs lots of polishing but looks grand.....

I had always cut the bottom out of the big Brasso tins to use to cover the engine stack.

Being a brass addict I have recently graduated to a second world war brass artilliery shell - £15 from a 'nick nack' shop and sometimes found at car boot sales! Needs lots of polishing but looks grand.....

When I had Bilster I made its speedwheel from a WW1 75mm Shell case base. The rest of the shell was formed into the short solid brass pipeand cutter in the earlier photo's of bilster.

This video shows it being fitted. The shaft from the boat is 2", but is reduced to 1 1/2". The shaft is quite short.

I think that prop is going to be too big for Victoria's engine :lol:

Works a treat! :lol: In fact the engine still gets to full revs, so I could go a little bigger if I wanted to. Haven't really opened her up when cruising 'cause it just sits the boat on the bottom if I do. Heading down to Northampton next week to try it on "open" water.

Oh, and here is a video of it spinning:

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by mykaskin