Anchors

AlanH

Featured Posts

We are going to be on rivers for the first time in this boat. The anchor we had went with the last boat. What type/size of anchor will we need (42ft Narrowboat)?

How long a length/what size of sinking chain?

Edited by AlanH

We are going to be on rivers for the first time in this boat. The anchor we had went with the last boat. What type/size of anchor will we need (42ft Narrowboat)?

What size chain will we need and how long a length/what size of sinking chain?

Hi Alan,

This is a regular question and you may find it useful to enter Anchor in the search box. :lol:

Cheers

Howard

That's the best answer. If you can't lift it and drop it over its no good.

It isn't a good answer!

If you can't lift the anchor of the size that you need, then;

• Carrying an anchor of the correct size that you can't deploy is no good
  • carrying an ancor that you can lift, but which won't hold your boat is no good.

If you need a 25 kg anchor, then that is what you need. If you can't lift a 25 kg anchor then you also need a means of deploying it that negates the need for you to lift it.

If you can only lift a 15 kg anchor when you need a 25 kg, then you might as well chance your arm with no anchor as waste your money on an anchor that isn't up to the job....

It isn't a good answer!

• carrying an ancor that you can lift, but which won't hold your boat is no good.

If you need a 25 kg anchor, then that is what you need. If you can't lift a 25 kg anchor then you also need a means of deploying it that negates the need for you to lift it.

If you can only lift a 15 kg anchor when you need a 25 kg, then you might as well chance your arm with no anchor as waste your money on an anchor that isn't up to the job....

Difficult to fault the logic there !! Although a 15 kg anchor may allow you to be anchored in say up to a 2 knot flow, so would be of some use.

Nick

It's difficult to give a definitive answer without knowing what speed of current yuo may be anchoring in, and what depth of water. Unfortunately it's just as difficult to answer either of those questions too. So any definitive answer is almost certain to be wrong.

Difficult to fault the logic there !! Although a 15 kg anchor may allow you to be anchored in say up to a 2 knot flow, so would be of some use.

Nick

I carry (57' nb) two anchors a 15kg fold up one for first deployment and/or if that fails a 25kg Danforth which I would not want to loose. On rivers I have both ready each attached to a fair bit of chain then heavy rope spliced to a bolted eye. Fortunately, I have not needed to use either in emergency at at other times have managed with mud weights!

I agree with Mayallid but as someone else has posted the smaller anchor will be useful in some situations and I have noted is often all that some of the hire boats on the Thames for example have.

It isn't a good answer!

If you can only lift a 15kg anchor then you need to carry the correct type of anchor (or possibly two).

I couldn't work out why I couldn't pull away from an anchorage, once, despite having stowed the main hook. I then realised that the boat was being held by my lobsterpot, weighed down by a 5kg dinghy anchor, that I forgot to pull up. A 15kg is far preferable to no anchor at all especially if it is the right anchor for the right river bed conditions.

Installing mechanical deployment, if you very rarely venture from still waters is going over the top.

I carry (57' nb) two anchors a 15kg fold up one for first deployment and/or if that fails a 25kg Danforth which I would not want to loose. On rivers I have both ready each attached to a fair bit of chain then heavy rope spliced to a bolted eye. Fortunately, I have not needed to use either in emergency at at other times have managed with mud weights!

I agree with Mayallid but as someone else has posted the smaller anchor will be useful in some situations and I have noted is often all that some of the hire boats on the Thames for example have.

I,ve been thinking about getting one for ages, for the infrequent visits to non tidals.

Space is a major consideration & how you find the room for 2 anchors plus mud weights is amazing.

I was even considering the highly expensive Foblight & just unpacking it when on rivers.

Is there an anchor which would be heavy enough but takes up little room?

Tony

Just seen post 16 :lol:

Tony

I,ve been thinking about getting one for ages, for the infrequent visits to non tidals.

Space is a major consideration & how you find the room for 2 anchors plus mud weights is amazing.

I was even considering the highly expensive Foblight & just unpacking it when on rivers.

Is there an anchor which would be heavy enough but takes up little room?

Tony

Just seen post 16 :lol:

Tony

The fold up ones take up little room an it resides with the gas bottles when not needed. The large Danforth I lean/secure against the foward bulkhead of the front deck which is the gas locker so it only takes up 3" of space. I cannot see the point of carrying them around on the cabin top where it would be difficult to deploy them from.

We carry 10 altogether, ranging from a small 1 kg one which can be deployed by a toddler if you are alone and incapacitated, to a 100 kg which can be used if all the family are on board.

You can't be too careful.

Me thinks you are extracting the urine....

It's difficult to give a definitive answer without knowing what speed of current yuo may be anchoring in, and what depth of water. Unfortunately it's just as difficult to answer either of those questions too. So any definitive answer is almost certain to be wrong.

Has anyone on here had to deploy an anchor in an emergency? Whenever anchors are discussed on canal forums it all seems to be theory. Has anyone any real first-hand experience?

Phil

Has anyone on here had to deploy an anchor in an emergency? Whenever anchors are discussed on canal forums it all seems to be theory. Has anyone any real first-hand experience?

Phil

Sadly yes, when we "broke down" on the tidal trent and had to wait the assisstance of an approaching cruiser.

The one thing to remember is to not just dump the anchor and chain overboard. That wont hold. Gently back away, with the flow of the water, from the anchor and chain as you feed it out (either manually or by winch) you will feel it dig in when it has taken a hold of the river bed. Should be like putting the handbrake on in your car almost. Then feed out enough chain/rope to hold you steady and safe.

Anyhow our 10kg anchor held our small boat and a much larger flybridge cruiser midstream in the trent for well over an hour whilst we found the reason for our break down. Turned out to be mud in the exhaust :lol: