D Bar Rubbing Strake

Featured Posts

I am after some (well 150ft!) 2.1/2 inch (68mm) convex d-bar rubbing strake.

Does anyone know if you can still get it?

Thanks

Mark

Ask the likes of Ian Kemp etc. Do you want square edge (for welding) or feather edge for rivetting or nailing?

Are you going to tell us what it's for? :lol:

Tim

Do you want square edge (for welding) or feather edge for rivetting or nailing?

Oh now you're asking. It is going to be welded so I would say square edge.

It is for this - France. It it in a bit of a bad way, only the rust clogging the holes was keeping it afloat.

RIMG0120.jpg

RIMG0117-1.jpg

Thanks

Mark

I paraphrase.

In May 2008 agg221 was saying he found the last supplier of new section 'like' this was in Dundee, and it came in 20ft lengths.

This was his experience while restoring a wooden iceboat named Samson. Perhaps because this boat is wooden, he called them Guard Irons rather than Rubbing Strakes.

I hope I'm correct in saying 'new'. I have no doubt there are stocks of 'pre-used' lengths hidden away.

Reference for the information above:

http://justcanals.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.ph...start=13#p16707

For further information on different sizes found 'not suitable', reference

http://justcanals.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.ph...;p=13644#p13644

I cannot find if the person is a member of this forum, although he does appear to use the same name on forums covering different subjects.

HTH

I cannot find if the person is a member of this forum, although he does appear to use the same name on forums covering different subjects.

Mine was actually "c" section (so you can get loads of charlie behind it) and I'm afraid it all went to good homes.

Thanks

Mark

I think convex square edge is what your'e looking for, I use it for handrail on spirol staircases and balcony rails etc

The only thing is I've looked through the stockholders book and the only sizes in there are 2"x1/2" and 1.1/2"x1/2"

Hope this helps

Les

This was his experience while restoring a wooden iceboat named Samson. Perhaps because this boat is wooden, he called them Guard Irons rather than Rubbing Strakes.

Always Guards or Guard Irons in my book (on Narrow boats), whatever the hull material.

Tim

Being new to all this boating thought they were called rubbing strakes

Les

By a majority vote they probably would be today, just as Ram's Heads would be Swan's Necks, and Boat Shafts would be Poles.

:lol:

Tim

(Traditional Old Fart)

Thanks

Mark

A bit of a long shot but you never know:

IIRC from his restoration blog, Dove had a bit of a palaver trying to get hold of some of this.

I think that Barry Hawkins had some but wouldn't sell him any.

BH have now folded so where has the stuff gone?

I know a modern alternative is to slice a lengthways section out of round tubing to get the right profile might not be a great option but you do end up with the right width of guard iron if its done right.

other than that its hours with a very big magnet outside old wooden boatbuilding yards :lol: I have had a quite bit out with the magnet in the past but probably not 150ft.

Where do the hull builders get it from, or do they make it themselves ? ( would they appreciate an order ?)

Nick

There is a rolling mill in Brum that will do it, but you have to order 10 tons minimum. About 4 grands worth when I enquired.

Andrew

Where do the hull builders get it from, or do they make it themselves ? ( would they appreciate an order ?)

Nick

the 2" x 1/2" x 1/4" square edge convex is easy to get now (it wasn't that way 30 years ago), it's what the new hull builders use. Anything wider is difficult, though.

Tim

There is a rolling mill in Brum that will do it, but you have to order 10 tons minimum. About 4 grands worth when I enquired.

Andrew

When I needed some (2" square edge) many moons ago when it wasn't commonly available, it was worth my while to hire a small flat wagon to go & collect about a ton of it from the mill somewhere in the 'greater Birmingham' area, actually watched it being rolled, had to wait for it to cool. Can't remember where it was, though.

A friend needed some, we split the order.

Tim