Who is the oldest liveaboard?

jonk

Featured Posts

Do they just rust away or do they retire to terra firma?

I'm only a youngster in my 60s, but after nearly six years as a liveaboard by choice, I can't think of any reason why I would want to go back to a house.

I wouldn't want:

Stairs

Neighbours

Power cuts

Reliance on Grid utilities

Traffic noise

People noise

Wasted Space

Being tied to one place

Missing the wildlife

Losing the personal contact with nature

Community indifference

Not being able to go for a sail in the dinghy

Trying to keep a house warm in a Winter like this one

Being the same as everyone else

I'm sure there are many others, but I can't see that being old in a house has any benefits over being old on a boat. At least when I die, they can just push me over the side. :lol:

Roger

And attach weights, I don't want you round my prop.

don't forget to wrap yourself in chicken wire too. then bits don't float to the surface!

personally, i shall just disappear leaving the engine running and the table set for dinner like the Marie Celeste.

we did share a few locks on the stratford on avon with a chap aged about 80 who had been cc'ing the system for the previous several years since he was widowed. afaik he is still puttering around, and best of luck to him

cheers

nigel

Do they just rust away or do they retire to terra firma?

There is a smashing couple that we met a few years ago called George and Ruby, George boated in a jacket and tie. I don't know their actual age, probably in their 80s, but if I am as active at their age I will be well chuffed.

My Mother-in-law used to live on a boat (Grayling) at Wearings Green wharf with her husband Brian who incidently only had one leg, sadly she has recently passed away she was 86.

But the reason for this post is that we have now got her ashes back and my wife would like to put them in the cut, more precisely into the basin at Stratford.....are you allowed to do this or do you need to inform the relevent red tape.....

My Mother-in-law used to live on a boat (Grayling) at Wearings Green wharf with her husband Brian who incidently only had one leg, sadly she has recently passed away she was 86.

But the reason for this post is that we have now got her ashes back and my wife would like to put them in the cut, more precisely into the basin at Stratford.....are you allowed to do this or do you need to inform the relevent red tape.....

We put my Mum's ashes in the cut in October along a favourite stretch of hers. You are not supposed to but if you do it quietly and don't advertise where you plan to do it who is to know?........Oops.

There is a smashing couple that we met a few years ago called George and Ruby, George boated in a jacket and tie. I don't know their actual age, probably in their 80s, but if I am as active at their age I will be well chuffed.

You are at least 10yrs out on their ages, which makes it even more remarkable. They went boating again last summer. I know another 90+ who boats but doesn't live on his boat. He also steps across lock gates :lol:

Sue

We put my Mum's ashes in the cut in October along a favourite stretch of hers. You are not supposed to but if you do it quietly and don't advertise where you plan to do it who is to know?........Oops.

just like emptying the stove ashes i suppose(no pun intended),

no harm in it really, but if i emptied my stove that why every week it would make as a good excuse if were to get caught doing it..

just like emptying the stove ashes i suppose(no pun intended),

no harm in it really, but if i emptied my stove that why every week it would make as a good excuse if were to get caught doing it..

I hope it never becomes a weekly occurrence and stove ash would be a daily occurrence in the winter months. I appreciate that it would become a problem if people were doing it all the time but I doubt that many people would want to, so no, I don't think there's any harm in it.

We put mums and dads ashes in the same small brook beside which dad played as a boy (his choice of place). Dad was in the 70s and there were just a few distant new houses overlooking. By the time we poured mum the brook ran through a housing estate. Still from there they can make their way from brook to river Wreake to river Soar to river Trent and so to the sea.

If you want value for money for being sprinkled on the cut then arrange for them to sprinkle your ashes at somewhere like chasewater reservoir. From there they can head downhill via the BCN to the Severn, the Trent and the Mersey and. If there were backpumps at Atherstone or on the Grand Union (ex Warwick and Napton canal) then they could make the Thames too! :lol:

We put mums and dads ashes in the same small brook beside which dad played as a boy (his choice of place). Dad was in the 70s and there were just a few distant new houses overlooking. By the time we poured mum the brook ran through a housing estate. Still from there they can make their way from brook to river Wreake to river Soar to river Trent and so to the sea.

If you want value for money for being sprinkled on the cut then arrange for them to sprinkle your ashes at somewhere like chasewater reservoir. From there they can head downhill via the BCN to the Severn, the Trent and the Mersey and. If there were backpumps at Atherstone or on the Grand Union (ex Warwick and Napton canal) then they could make the Thames too! :lol:

Those sorts of thoughts went through my mind. We sprinkled Dad's ashes in a different canal some years ago, but the water from both canals eventually ends up in the Mersey estuary. It was nice to cut the engine at the chosen place and just drift quietly. My sisters brought rose petals, lots of them, to throw in at the same time and a couple of swans drifted with the boat. There was a solitary chap who was just out for a stroll and was taking a rest on a bench that overlooks the place; I don't know what he thought.

Except of course that Chasewater is currently being emptied for an indefinate period so they might stay there for while!

Tim