Sausages

Midnight Rider

Featured Posts

The Black Farmer does fantastic sausages. Seen them in CoOp and Tesco, but can't say I've seen them in Sainsbury.

I remembered your post Chris when I saw a packet of Black Farmer sausages reduced in Tescos (is there any other price?) for £1.55 tonight. (from £2.59) Blooming fantasitc. Not too chunky and no fat after gentle frying. Gobbling them up now with a dash of Lea & Perrings for that Umami taste and a slosh of HP sauce in a mega sandwich.

Charlie the hound is drooling at the smell so that is praise indeed!

Edited to add that I'm not eating all 6 in a sandwich - just yet.

Edited by Christine

Their oak smoked dry cured bacon is the best I have ever tasted, not found any to come close since we left two years ago. No spitting when in the pan and cooks quickly, a masterpiece :lol:

On our last trip to the T&M we had fab sausages from the butcher in Alrewas. Same when we went to Market Harborough on another trip. Definitely worth checking out local farmers markets for fab meat products and don't forget Eastwoods and Cooks Delight in Berkhamsted for fab organic produce and Joe Colliers award winning sausages.

d

Make your own?

This is a large ish batch I made.

saus2.jpg

and them cooking

sausage.JPG

This post has made me VERY hungry. Gosh, I can almost smell them. Where did you say you lived?

I too don't like sausages that have course meat that good butchers seem to think make the perfect sausage, far too chewy for my liking, and if you don't cook them enough then the middles are rawish, cook them too long and they are dry!

I like Booths supermarket ordinary pork sausages, but Booths is local to Lancashire since its one of the last few independent supermarkets. If you like I will send you some.

I've not (ever) said this in public before:

But I will now . . . . .

Rate the sausage

I'm amazed how this thread has run on & love the 'Rate my Sausage' website.

I wish I knew how --- or even dare --- to show the photo of the young lady kissing her trophy :lol:

I'm affraid that Wall's are next on the tasting list.

Tony

• 5 months later...
My turn to cook tonight ---- sausages, onion gravy, mash etc.

The sausages were bloody awful -- Tesco 'finest' would you believe --- course meat, skin made from condoms I think.

I know that there are many good butchers around, but sometimes you need to use the supermarkets.

Anyone know of a good banger from the big stores?

Tony

Bought some loose pork sausages from Sainsburys in Nantwich a couple of weeks ago...best I've tasted in ages, proper sausages with meat, not all rusk and flavouring!!

After my experiences with sausages and always checking the 'contains ??% pork'.

I bought a of pack bacon yesterday and I was shocked to read on the pack that it contained only 87% pork?????

Any explanations would be appreciated.

Alex

Edited by steelaway

Many meat products have water added.

I'm not sure whether there is a good reason for this or whether it's just a con to add weight and make it look better. I suspect it's just a con.

That's why some burgers, gammon steaks and the like which look huge in the packet will shrivel to nothing - it's the added water being evaporated off as you cook.

• 1 month later...

There is only one sausage worthy of the name. Rookworst.

Dutch smoked sausage, so succulant and tasty, that you will sell your first born into slavery to enjoy it.

Best way to enjoy?

Either straight, on buttered bread, or even better, with Curly Cale, mashed potato, and diced fried bacon....

Ohh god, I'm salivating now...

Accept no immitations...

You should have a go and make your own....the taste difference is astounding! I picked up an attachment for my Kenwood on eBay and, after soaking the sausage casings overnight in water, made some of the oddest shaped bangers you'd ever seen...I'm told it gets easier....Delicious! My most recent attempt was a pork n black pudding sausage....Tasted fabulous but did look a turd as it cooked! Also tried making a smoked fish sausage...padded out with a little lumpy mash and dill...OMG...heaven!!

:rolleyes:

Could the Mods please re-name this the Salivation thread ? ... I can nearly smell the sausages cooking ... but worst of all is I haven't got any at home at all ... and now I'm going to HAVE to go and buy some ... I'm afraid I'm not a connoisseur though ... any pork in a storm for me.

Edited by Graham!

Could the Mods please re-name this the Salivation thread ? ... I can nearly smell the sausages cooking ... but worst of all is I haven't got any at home at all ... and now I'm going to HAVE to go and buy some ... I'm afraid I'm not a connoisseur though ... any pork in a storm for me.

I read that as "the Salvation thread" :D

Might still be apt though

I read that as "the Salvation thread" :D

Might still be apt though

Um, I'm teaching students how to make sausages next week at school ... I do have an attachment for my Kitchen Aid but you can make your own sausages with casings and a funnel - it doesn't need to be fancy equipment to stuff like that y'know!

Other than that - Waitrose Essentials pork sausages 97p the pound does the job well. Although I'm hearing good things about the sausages in Audlem.

Um, I'm teaching students how to make sausages next week at school ... I do have an attachment for my Kitchen Aid but you can make your own sausages with casings and a funnel - it doesn't need to be fancy equipment to stuff like that y'know!

Other than that - Waitrose Essentials pork sausages 97p the pound does the job well. Although I'm hearing good things about the sausages in Audlem.

Does that mean you might not want Lincolnshire's for your birthday Banter then?

Actually the obvious answer is......we shall have both

We had 'Saints & Scholars' sausages last night. They are a Northern Irish brand and are 85% meat. Well tasty!!! We get them from Asda over the border so not sureif available on mainland UK.

I sort of "went off" sausages quite a few years ago, when it dawned on me that they just didn't seem to taste the same as I remembered them any more. We generally went for the Butchers Choice type ones with a higher meat content, but although I'd eat them, I'd only have one if we were having a fry up for instance.

Recently however we tried some "Riverway Foods" Cumberland sauasages from our local Tescos - they were on special offer for quite a long time. I have to say that they've rather restored my faith in sausages - especially when done in the oven. Don't know if all Tescos do them, but I'd certainly recommend giving them a go if you can find them!

As an aside, we used to have a Champion Sausage maker in our town - he had about three dozen varieties on his board in the shop - some of them quite bizarre to my way of thinking, as well as a list of all the top prizes he'd won. I did hear from someone though that the prizes were all for results in his own competitions! They're a rum lot these sausage fellas it would seem!

I also remember when I was living at forestry college near Lincoln - where we had Lincolnshire sausages for breakfast, Lincolnshire sausages cold in the snap boxes they used to make up if we were working off campus, and then Lincolnshire sausage casserole for tea - EVERY bloody day of the week!!

Andy

Edited by County4x4

Good to see that the old thread has been resurected.

Having given up with Tesco sausages & most of their other fresh produce & with a bit of trial & error, there are good bangers to be found at local butchers & Waitrose if we are feeling flush.

Tony