Sausages

Midnight Rider

Featured Posts

My turn to cook tonight ---- sausages, onion gravy, mash etc.

The sausages were bloody awful -- Tesco 'finest' would you believe --- course meat, skin made from condoms I think.

I know that there are many good butchers around, but sometimes you need to use the supermarkets.

Anyone know of a good banger from the big stores?

Tony

The sausages were bloody awful -- Tesco 'finest' would you believe --- course meat, skin made from condoms I think.

I know that there are many good butchers around, but sometimes you need to use the supermarkets.

Tony

Richmond.

Tony

[/quote

Hi

To be honest I have been disapointed with sausages for the past year or more.

I always buy either Cumberland or Lincoln, but recently they have been crap.

I suspect they are all using poorer quality pork cuts.

Debbie & Andrews are OK but they have stopped doing these types.

I always look for the amount of pork in them and must be more than 80%.

Netto sausages are pretty good and their bacon is very good

Alex

If you have a Waitrose nearby they have a good range of decent quality sausages and ones made from 'happy' pigs (well, they were allegedly happy when alive, anyway). I tried some 'Good Little Sausage Company' ones which were very tasty

Tony

Forgot to mention, but the Co-Op does a coiled sausage about 6" long - 2 in a pack - I think.

Not all shops stock them but they are bloody good -- if you can find them.

You could try German Bratwurst, not to everybody's taste but genuine one's are sold in Liddle or Aldi

Alex

'-- Tesco 'finest' would you believe'

hahahaha

Tesco are so totally unable to do anything remotely connected to the word

FINE

The finest thing they do is sell rubbish (own brand), or have an empty shelf when you want that particular product, so you go the next product and their FINE profits zoom upwards cos it is the thing the shareholders demand.

Oh dear, coat!! Please don't start me on the desperate place that Tesco is??

OOH Odana - I cant afford Waitrose!!

Edited by Sue1946

OOH Odana - I cant afford Waitrose!!

Waitrose are frightening prices for a typical basket of everyday stuff but the things they do sell are a decent range of free range meat at reasonable prices when compared to many city centre farmers markets - and they're open every day not just a few times a month (when I do go and spend even more on my favourite butcher). I haven't compared prices to tesco Finest but they're probably comparable.

tee hee dear Odana!

You are clearly not living on a gov pension are you??

:lol:

I had saus, egg n chips tonight for dinner - despite what I said about Tesco quality/dire it is the only shop near here. I thought i was eating toilet rolls!!

Edited by Sue1946

tee hee dear Odana!

You are clearly not living on a gov pension are you??

:lol:

Nope. Student grant, mostly. I'd choose to eat no meat than poor quality meat or factory farmed meat, so generally a trip to the sausage counter or the farmers market is an exciting treat to be savoured later.

Good luck with the OPs search for the perfect banger

I often go for saisburys 'taste the difference' range, as long as you only buy them when there bogof/halfprice there reasonably priced and nice. Else the butchers choice when there on discount too are ok.

I also buy from the butcher at the loughborough market who does good meet for sensable prices.

Daniel

Midnight Rider, surely "coarse meat" should a plus point with sausages - it shows that they are made from real pieces of meat rather than unidentifiable fine-ground mush.

I'm surprised that no one has yet mentioned the daddy of 'em all and the brand of sausages which many of us must remember from childhood: Wall's.

Has anyone else noticed that sausage prices have gone up with a, er, bang over the last year or so? You can now pay £3.00 or even more for a pound of decent ones. I'm trying to remember the name of the last ones I ate which really impressed me (bought on special offer of course): something like Musker's or Tusker's.

Im suprised at you lot. Walls and Richmond............

Sausages are supposed to be made with meat not liquified carpert sweepings. Yuck

A coarse sausage is made with pieces of real meat that havent been liquified and bulked out with water and salt. Find one with real skin not plastic and you should be onto a winner.

We currently buy our sausages from the farm shop at Doddington Hall. Very nice, made with local free range meat and real skins and they dont break the bank either at £2.50 for six.

I have no time for wasting money on cheap inferior excuses for sausages, and on that note dont ever try Asdas "finest" ranbge of sausages. They are very very poor.

• Greenie 1

Im suprised at you lot. Walls and Richmond............

Sausages are supposed to be made with meat not liquified carpert sweepings. Yuck

A coarse sausage is made with pieces of real meat that havent been liquified and bulked out with water and salt. Find one with real skin not plastic and you should be onto a winner.

We currently buy our sausages from the farm shop at Doddington Hall. Very nice, made with local free range meat and real skins and they dont break the bank either at £2.50 for six.

I have no time for wasting money on cheap inferior excuses for sausages, and on that note dont ever try Asdas "finest" ranbge of sausages. They are very very poor.

It's all down to taste really, I like my classic sausage to be just that, like I had when I was a kid, these hi meat content jobbies (and I deliberatly use that term :lol: ) are not the real deal, I would prefer the meat to be hand chopped by fair maidens but I still want the rusk and breadcrumbs etc that create a nice soft texture, so i'll put up with the extracted meat lips and A'holes for a great tasting product :lol:

May not be practical at the moment but in our opinion there is a superb butcher in Alrewas on the T & M. Can't remember the name or even if they are still in business but we had some magnificent fayre from them including sausages.

Phylis, I am not sure if they were Finest or not but the last Asda saus. we had were at least acceptable. They are made, incidentally, by a firm whose name many members more senior than yourself will fondly remember: Palethorpe's.

Now Richmond's I can't get on with, the seasoning is all wrong. the best thing about them is (or used to be) the lettering on the packet: "Irish recipe, 4 thick sausages".

May not be practical at the moment but in our opinion there is a superb butcher in Alrewas on the T & M. Can't remember the name or even if they are still in business but we had some magnificent fayre from them including sausages.

P Coates & Son, superb indeed! HERE :lol:

Edited by dave69700

Very subjective. As previously mentioned some like the low meat/high rusk fine ground item, others the coarse ground 95% meat stuffed into some chewy intestine variety.

For me both have their place - the former as a breakfast sausage, the latter for dinner.

No one's mentioned The Porkinson which is widely available?

Edited to add: And these Royal Berkshire are my personal shop bought faves

Edited by Serendipity

Very subjective. As previously mentioned some like the low meat/high rusk fine ground item, others the coarse ground 95% meat stuffed into some chewy intestine variety.

For me both have their place - the former as a breakfast sausage, the latter for dinner.

No one's mentioned The Porkinson which is widely available?

I was just about to, A good banger. Also Waitrose Glos Old Spot bangers.

Firesprite

Middle levels

Another vote for porkinsons!

did I read on here once that a member had a sausage stuffing machine? I quite like the idea of making my own, thus avoiding the brains, lips, boll*cks and eyelids! :lol: