Craftmaster carnuba wax - is my boat really worth it...?

larrysanders

Featured Posts

[quote name='Phylis' date='Feb 24 2010, 01:21 PMIf you bottle it and label it yourself, should you not know what is in it?

Im sure a god would know what goes into his bottles

when you have a good idea do you question how you arrived at it or are you just pleased with the result in the knowledge that it is just a good idea. :lol:

My paintwork is looking a little dull after the winter and I've been told this will do the trick, however at £18 a bottle it seems rather expensive. Is there any cheaper alternatives or should I go for this?

Depends on how 'dull' your paint work is. It does not matter how good a pure polish is (as in one that does not contain cutting additives) if it is applied to an oxidised surface all you will achieve is a slightly shinier oxidised surface which is more prone to water marks.

I find it somewhat amusing how the thread has turned into a 'which polish is best' argy bargy and no one has mentioned cutting back of faded paint before polishing.

Problem is with synthetic paint is its ability to withstand weathering is pretty poor especially if the paint has inadequate polish protection. Even after 12 months paint will begin to degrade if its not protected. Some paints are better than others, as are certain colours (Red is one of the worst) but if the paint has faded then application of a mild cutting compound first will improve the gloss of any polish - even cheap stuff - you apply afterwards.

Don't use standard T-cut though or any cutting compound that contains ammonia - causes a mild paint bloom which spoils the finish. Look out for cutting compound specifically for traditional oil based finishes. :lol:

Before I go and start emulsioning Craftmaster`s new mixing room with Wickes` finest and a roller - in a godlike fashion of course - I must say the one thing I should have said in the first place. If you can buy a polish as good as ours for a lot less money I most heartily suggest you do so ! As I said to the last person who told me he knew a man who would paint his boat as well we would for 6 grand less - " Bight `is bloody `and off."

Well, if the OP is still interested I discovered Craftmaster carnuba wax and it worked very well indeed on the paint.

Not that we tend to be interested in polishing the boat each weekend as we have more important things to keep us occupied, but we try to wax once in the spring and once at the end of the summer. The boat then keeps much cleaner without wasting even more time washing it. Washing a boat is not my definition of fun.

Is your boat worth it, well the price of the wax is only a very small part of the overall running costs and it appears to be doing something worthwile, so for me the answer is yes.

Not that we tend to be interested in polishing the boat each weekend as we have more important things to keep us occupied, but we try to wax once in the spring and once at the end of the summer.

Ditto. That's our aim also.

I'm loosing the will to live having got to the end of this thread

What polish does this boat owner use?

dscf1579.jpg

Ah, Whaley Bridge!

Strange case that one.

The boat sat there for years, apparently unused, but somebody came down, and put new licences and MPs in from time to time.

Eventually, even that attention stopped, and I last saw it last summer at Marple, having been recovered by BW as a derelict boat, following extensive vandalism.

Ah, Whaley Bridge!

Strange case that one.

The boat sat there for years, apparently unused, but somebody came down, and put new licences and MPs in from time to time.

Eventually, even that attention stopped, and I last saw it last summer at Marple, having been recovered by BW as a derelict boat, following extensive vandalism.

Anyone knows anything about the one moored at Lower Heyford at the bottom of a garden just south of the ally lift bridge

No. It is sold throughout the heritage vehicle market ( where I have no reputation as a painter to capitalize on ) at a fixed price. I have no interest in whether you feel to have "gained " anything from my contribution or not. Buy our polish or not as it pleases you , peddle your opinions as widely as you wish. I regret that it is necessary for our manufacturer , our stockists and Craftmaster to make a profit but , given you and others are so convinced of your analytical chemistry skills, you should be able to find the same product exactly sold as another brand by another company in the classic car market ( part of an agreement we had to make to get the stuff in the first place having tried dozens of others ) at a considerably higher price than we charge. Last year ( or earlier , I can`t remember ) it came out around 16 out of 20 in a comparison test by a car weekly of Carnuaba Waxes through the entire price spectrum. I don`t know what proportions of what are to be found in our polish because I don`t need to. I just know it works and works well. There are those who think it is too expensive , fair enough. There are those who think it`s great and therefor worth the expense - equally fair enough. We don`t actually force anyone to buy the stuff. And yes, we bottle it and label it ourselves. We have recently , incidentally, rejected an "improvement" that we felt was actually a backward step. And no - it wouldn`t have affected the price.

Sorry - but this is becoming personal. It is my misfortune that of all the suppliers in the canal market I`m the one who contributes to this forum under my own name. My hope , usually, is to be helpful. However - this is not a good day to get on my back - so - those of you who feel I`m exploiting my name and my market unfairly - do as you please,buy as you please and say what you please.

Those who are happy with the product , I`m sorry it isn`t cheaper - but needs must. If Craftmaster ever adopts a "pile it high and sell it cheap " approach you`ll be the first to know - but don`t expect the forty minute " Of course I`ll help you , what do you need to know" telephone conversations as well as the supermarket approach.

go away for the day and you miss the party.... crickey i'm glad i did as this seems to have gone round in circles at times. anyway i've made my decision.. i'm getting myself some this weekend. i think sileby mill in leic is my closet stockist being moored at sawley?

thanks to phil for his contribution.. among others!

An example of an 'alternative' product:

http://www.tradesecretdirect.com/ProductIn...oductid=E200582

Never tried it, just the first hit off the t'internet of a canauba based polish designed for boats.

Products sold as 'best quality' 'the best you can get' etc etc is that if they are truely the best or at least one of them, then folk will always come flocking back after trying the inferior! :lol:

Just a thought.

I often wondered what happened to it. The photo was taken in 2007. The story I heard was that it was owned by a gent who was battling "the demon drink".

Sad, because under all that green it looked a good boat.

It was, although by 2007, the lack of attention had caused the paint to start lifting in places.