Craftmaster carnuba wax - is my boat really worth it...?

larrysanders

Featured Posts

Find a local car body shop and ask them if they will sell you a trade sized container of the stuff. We got a huge tin of it for £25 and yes the boat is worth it. A little hard work to apply the stuff and get the boat looking good will pay in the long run as a waxed surface is easier to clean thus less washing during the summer. :lol:

My paintwork is looking a little dull after the winter and I've been told this will do the trick, however at £18 a bottle it seems rather expensive. Is there any cheaper alternatives or should I go for this?

I suspect you will attract a raft of replies suggesting different alternatives . . .

However - a truth will be that one tends to get what one pays for . . . . the difference in quality and durability between a 'polish' bought from Poundland (normally £1 a bottle) and the craftmaster fully reflects the difference in price.

I'd personally rather use a really good quality polish - (and save on excessive levels of elbow grease)

Find a local car body shop and ask them if they will sell you a trade sized container of the stuff. We got a huge tin of it for £25 and yes the boat is worth it. A little hard work to apply the stuff and get the boat looking good will pay in the long run as a waxed surface is easier to clean thus less washing during the summer. :lol:

The question isn't whether to wax, but whether to use this wax.

IMHO, yes the £18 a bottle IS worth it.

Carnuba wax is avaliable under many trade names. It all amounts to the same stuff.

The stuff we bought with the trade discount and without the marine price tag, is the same stuff you pay £18 for in a small bottle.

Carnuba wax is avaliable under many trade names. It all amounts to the same stuff.

The stuff we bought with the trade discount and without the marine price tag, is the same stuff you pay £18 for in a small bottle.

Any link to where you got it?? Thanks.

Says who? Phil?

Seconded - it's what I use.

Says who? Phil?

Here you go

Carnauba_wax

Granted not the most trusted source in the world :lol:

By all means pay through the nose for your small bottle and we shall compare results later in the year. I dont expect any great difference given it is the same stuff.

Says who? Phil?

Lets ask him.

Phil whats the secret ingredient in your wax?

:lol: Absolutely right, polishing boats is wasting valuable pub time......... :lol:

Isn't one problem of using any wax (but especially stuff with silicone additives), that when you come to give it another coat of paint you must make absolutely sure there's no wax left in any crevices? I'm not talking about a full repaint here, but just giving the existing paintwork a fine key and a re-coat in which case wax could remain in places that the keying didn't reach. Perhaps recoating isn't the professional way of doing it, but it's what a lot of people do.

Last year...I polished and polished until the the boat was difficult to look at in bright sun...

At Kingston bridge..someone tried to break in...luckily I was alerted by my alarm...

Next morning.....some 'random kid' on a bike....was a bit too interested in the boat and my examination of the break in damage...

He said...'well..it looks like a nice boat...so it must have nice things in it'...!!!!!

This year...the boat will be wearing...mainly 'dull' !!

Bob

Isn't one problem of using any wax (but especially stuff with silicone additives), that when you come to give it another coat of paint you must make absolutely sure there's no wax left in any crevices?

Yes. And one of the advantages of Phil's wax is that it contains no such additives. It has no phosphates and no silicon. It can be removed with just white spirit and panel wipe.

That's certainly not something that can be said for all polishes containing carnauba wax despite some members claiming that they're "the same stuff".

Tony

Edited by WotEver

Yes. And one of the advantages of Phil's wax is that it contains no such additives. It has no phosphates and no silicon. It can be removed with just white spirit and panel wipe.

That's certainly not something that can be said for all polishes containing carnauba wax despite some members claiming that they're "the same stuff".

Tony

All proffesional vehicle cleaning and polishing products dont contain silicone for the exact same reason. Get silicone in a vehicle spray booth and you may as well forget painting any cars/vans for a couple of weeks as you will be redoing every job.

I wouldn't recommend using MER.

Quite apart from the high silicon content in Mer, take a read of this:

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/car-care/mer-car-polish/1165564/

Summary: An expensive car polish that doesn't do an effective job.

All proffesional vehicle cleaning and polishing products dont contain silicone for the exact same reason.

But many of them do contain polymers. Check the label.

Edited by WotEver

Then why are you contributing your nonsense to a thread about how to brighten up dull paintwork?

The OP asked if waxing their boat is worth it, i replied yes it is.

If waxing paintwork wasnt worth it, we wouldnt spend hours on end waxing our cars, nor waxing our boat.

Each to their own, if you dont feel it neccessary, then dont do it. Personally i prefer to spend a day waxing ours to reduce the amount of days we have to spend washing it, same goes for the cars. They are there to be enjoyed and cherished and part of this is looking after them not leaving them mouldy, dull and unloved.