Rules For CCing When You Have A Mooring??

malcs

Featured Posts

I have no clue where those places are but I'm guessing there are lots of bridge hoppers around there and so folk are beginning to assume that's what I plan to be, fair enough! I'll be somewhere between Bristol, Reading and Oxford generally!

:lol: I would have thought the word CONTINUOUS is not ambiguous and if any one wishes to become a ccer why the hell would they want to stay longer than 14 days in one place ? :lol:

Anyhow, I was wondering, if you did have a mooring somewhere but went for a big continuous cruise and barely clapped eyes on it, are the rules the same for you as they would be a CCer with no mooring (ie: still only get 14 days on the towpath) and is there any stipulation that your boat has to be at its mooring for a set period or set amount of time?

Hi Malcs.

It was at one time quite common for people, often on retirement to move onto their boat and take off for a couple of years, often they would cover the entire system in that time, in my time I have met many of them.. It was recognised that to insist that they maintain an official mooring that they never used was unfair so they were given that special status of "Continuous Cruiser".

Many envious eyes were cast upon them, the clever people saw an opportunity to profit by the arrangement, while living on their boat they were the parasites of the canals, they exploited all the services that the average boater enjoyed but on a 365 day basis, many would hog all the best visitor moorings, close to shops, pubs, and transport links all for the reduced cost of a continuous cruiser.. Some minor rules were brought in to try to ensure some sort of fair play, limited mooring times and minimum distances..

Many of them post on this forum, imagining they have found a unique dodge or fraud if you prefer.

Many envious eyes were cast upon them, the clever people saw an opportunity to profit by the arrangement, while living on their boat they were the parasites of the canals, they exploited all the services that the average boater enjoyed but on a 365 day basis, many would hog all the best visitor moorings, close to shops, pubs, and transport links all for the reduced cost of a continuous cruiser..

This sounds like a derogatory view of anyone who lives on their boat, including retirees....or do retired boat dwellers not use "all the services that the average boater enjoyed but on a 365 day basis"?

At the risk of throwing more fuel on the fire, I'll just point out that the reason for the visitor moorings being changed to four days MAY - just may have been because the BW office were getting loads of stick from weekday/holiday/ccers who were unable to get a mooring for a day or two in a popular spot because so many boats were being abandoned there unused and uninhabited between weekends. We had most of the visitor moorings on the top end of the Lancaster changed from 14 days to 7 days for exactly that reason - to try and keep the majority of boaters happy. It doesn't necessarily make the bloke who made the decision a "half bred F.wit", unless that applies to everyone who makes a decision that's not entirely to your liking!

As for "arselicking disciples" - I guess you'd think better of those guys if they refused to do anything they didn't agree with at work - or perhaps more importantly - anything YOU didn't agree with? I guess they couldn't possibly just have been doing their jobs could they? I wonder how long I'd last at work if I refused to do anything I didn't particularly fancy.......

Two sides to every argument mate - even if it's BW we're talking about. I know they don't get everything right by a long chalk - but that doesn't make them wrong by default.

also they did absolutely bugger all about the long term rubbish tip boats moored below the next bridge yet felt the need to harrass the genuine users of the canal.

Andy

whilst i agree with the restriction at popular visitor moorings this carries no weight on restricting the entire length from Oxford to beyond Kidlington !! the mooring i would use was at the junction of the canal with the dukes cut hardly a hotspot for visitors! i could moor at Little Venice in London for 5 days without a problem so why did they feel the need to be so pedantic on a section such as the Oxford canal 4 miles from the city

so i stand by my comment about this idiot.

Edited by hamsterfan

So everyone else, who lives on a boat, doesn't enjoy, 365 days a year, the facilities provided by BW??

Depends.

Many people live on a boat, but have facilities (Water, elsan, rubbish disposal) supplied by somebody other than BW for much of the time.

whilst i agree with the restriction at popular visitor moorings this carries no weight on restricting the entire length from Oxford to beyond Kidlington !! the mooring i would use was at the junction of the canal with the dukes cut hardly a hotspot for visitors! i could moor at Little Venice in London for 5 days without a problem so why did they feel the need to be so pedantic on a section such as the Oxford canal 4 miles from the city

so i stand by my comment about this idiot.

The probem occurs when others think they too can moor within a few miles of a place like Oxford without needing to get and pay for a mooring. Then your boat which as you say will not cause much trouble soon becomes loads a boats all whom say they are not causing trouble.

The probem occurs when others think they too can moor within a few miles of a place like Oxford without needing to get and pay for a mooring. Then your boat which as you say will not cause much trouble soon becomes loads a boats all whom say they are not causing trouble.

what, Oxford aswel?? I thought it was only the Limpley Stoke vally and Whaley Bridge ....

Coat....

:lol:

The probem occurs when others think they too can moor within a few miles of a place like Oxford without needing to get and pay for a mooring.

But it is an anomaly of the law that allows them to do that, if they have a home mooring, or other place available, elsewhere.

Edited by carlt

:lol: I would have thought the word CONTINUOUS is not ambiguous and if any one wishes to become a ccer why the hell would they want to stay longer than 14 days in one place ? :lol:

Where did I say I wanted to stay anywhere longer than 14 days?

Opened a right hornets nest here didn't I? I'll see if I can think of another innocent question that causes the same amount of fun! :lol:

Cheers

Malc

Opened a right hornets nest here didn't I? I'll see if I can think of another innocent question that causes the same amount of fun! :lol:

Cheers

Malc

Ask about galvanic isolators...

runnnnn......

Well, in your opening post, you said;

are the rules the same for you as they would be a CCer with no mooring (ie: still only get 14 days on the towpath)

Which would be an odd kind of question to ask if you didn't want to stay anywhere longer than 14 days.

I may have asked that question but I didn't say I wanted to or had any intention of doing it. I'm new to boating and want to learn stuff. I'm planning to go exploring for a year and live onboard but after that I'll probably get a mooring or if its not for me then I'll sell up having had my adventure. I was concerned that 'should I desire' to bugger off on holiday somewhere else during that year for longer than 14 days I'd get into trouble and didn't know whether having a mooring somewhere would give me different rights to moor up on the towpath, I wasn't saying it should or it shouldn't, just asking if it would.

Hope I cleared that up, now can someone please sell me their Aqualine Canterbury for under £100k please. :lol:

Ask about galvanic isolators...

runnnnn......

What on earth is a galvanic isolator?

I may have asked that question but I didn't say I wanted to or had any intention of doing it. I'm new to boating and want to learn stuff. I'm planning to go exploring for a year and live onboard but after that I'll probably get a mooring or if its not for me then I'll sell up having had my adventure. I was concerned that 'should I desire' to bugger off on holiday somewhere else during that year for longer than 14 days I'd get into trouble and didn't know whether having a mooring somewhere would give me different rights to moor up on the towpath, I wasn't saying it should or it shouldn't, just asking if it would.

Hope I cleared that up, now can someone please sell me their Aqualine Canterbury for under £100k please. :lol:

What on earth is a galvanic isolator?

aqualine comes with a galvonic isolator, not a very good one tho

it stops your winkle from shriveling in the cold whilst peeing in the canal . . . . . . . . . someone correct me if i am wrong

it stops your winkle from shriveling in the cold whilst peeing in the canal . . . . . . . . . someone correct me if i am wrong

No, you are spot on. So if you own an aqualine don't pee in the canal if you don't want your wilnkle to shrivel. Female peewees are unaffected, I believe.