Fixing brass

Speedwheel

Featured Posts

I have a couple of items made from brass that need to be fixed. One is a candle sconce/holder and the other is a brass star.

The need some brazing/welding/soldering (whatever it is called). Can someone advise me of who might be able to do this for me or is there anyone on here who might be able to help.

Thanks

Mark

Hi

Brazing, silver soldering or soldering depending on the strength required - brazing being the stronger,

however they all require heating the item - brazing being the hottest - this may discolour

the brass item - if the item is not too complex a shape then it will not be too difficult to clean up.

As an alternative, and where the "mend" can not be seen I have successfully used one of the many

two part epoxy liquid metals available (I used JB Weld - Quite a thin liquid good for stripped brass

threads provided you are not likely to want to dismantle. You can also get two part epoxy putty -

good for building up missing metal - they can be drilled & tapped after hardening) however to

a purist it would be "cheating".

springy

I have a couple of items made from brass that need to be fixed. One is a candle sconce/holder and the other is a brass star.

The need some brazing/welding/soldering (whatever it is called). Can someone advise me of who might be able to do this for me or is there anyone on here who might be able to help.

Thanks

Mark

If you,re anywhere near Burton on Trent at anytime i can silver solder them for you

les

Thanks

Mark

If you are in this area again I could sort it out for you.

Tim

I do believe it was RLWP that did the silver soldering on Alnwick... Might be worth a PM if Richard doesn't spot this thread.

Oh, I've spotted it, but I'm waiting to see what the job is before stepping forward

Richard

Right here we go.

First is a brass star whith one of the points snapped off.

It has been fixed before, as you can see from the pic. (It appears to have been fixed with brass not silver solder - though I am a novice in these things)

RIMG0133.jpg

RIMG0135.jpg

The next is a candle sconce (is that the right word?). The little bit at the bottom is one of two supports for the holder part.

It appears to have a rivet in the back which passed through the 'base'. This has snapped. It might need a need rivet bit made as it need to take quite a strain as you move it.

RIMG0132.jpg

I am quite happy to pay the going rate.

Thanks

RIMG0132.jpg

That's interesting. The backplate is made out of something with letters engraved in it. H E I something?

Richard

Best bet it to make a new spigot/hinge thing for that one, although I think you've got a load of bits of scrap made up into a bracket.

Edited by RLWP

Right here we go.

First is a brass star whith one of the points snapped off.

It has been fixed before, as you can see from the pic. (It appears to have been fixed with brass not silver solder - though I am a novice in these things)

It might be bronze that has been used before, not that easy to tell from the pic, it's easier to build up than is silver solder, needed for reinforcement in this particular case because of the shape. Trouble is, the temperature needed is much closer to the melting point of the brass.... :lol: .

I can't work out the other one, pic is a bit on the dark side.

Quite happy to do what I can if you're up this way.

Tim

Thank Tim,

Should be up your way in the not to distant future. I will get your number from Mike next time I speak to him - actually probably got it on file at work!

Thanks again

Mark

This is where the star lives.

RIMG0157.jpg

Oooooooh! I'm coveting your klaxon... I've got one, but it's in faded and scuffed paint.

Paybe a paint-strip and polish? Hmm......

• 6 months later...

Thanks

Mark

I have a copper pipe with a brass nut that has split that I could do with getting brazed (its a Bolinder cooling water pipe) if anyone near Alvecote can help!

I have a copper pipe with a brass nut that has split that I could do with getting brazed (its a Bolinder cooling water pipe) if anyone near Alvecote can help!

Oh dear...

What timescale are we talking about. I'm very busy this weekend

Richard