Help wanted with Holiday Route

Essex Land Lubbers

Featured Posts

Whys that?

Its much easier if someone else works them for you, and much quicker

Perhaps it would be easier if you had a man to drive the boat, and a man to cook, and a man to do just about every task, so you and OH could do bugger all.

Doesn't sound like fun to me.

Perhaps it would be easier if you had a man to drive the boat, and a man to cook, and a man to do just about every task, so you and OH could do bugger all.

Doesn't sound like fun to me.

We can manage the driving, cooking we can do, mooring we can manage, locks dont see the fasination, they are there out of neccesity and to get anywhere we have to negotiate a few however they are not our favourite part of boating.

Each to their own Mr Mayall

We can manage the driving, cooking we can do, mooring we can manage, locks dont see the fasination, they are there out of neccesity and to get anywhere we have to negotiate a few however they are not our favourite part of boating.

Is it because you ou have to slow down?

Is it because you ou have to slow down?

No its because i dont enjoy stopping every 20 minutes to get off and spend 20 minutes faffing around with a lock, before repeating the process 15 minutes down stream.

Big river boating is a much more relaxing affair, with less locks and when you do reach a lock it is either manned or electrically operated.

Whys that?

Its much easier if someone else works them for you, and much quicker

I can't think of many locks I've been through that are "keepered" that I can possibly get through as fast as we do a typical canal lock on our own.

Too much time is spent whilst the crews of much of the "plastic" attempts to throw bits of rope inappropriately at various bollards, for start.

The Thames, for example, was a novelty to us, but after a few days on there, I was very happy to come off, and return to "normality", thanks very much!

No its because i dont enjoy stopping every 20 minutes to get off and spend 20 minutes faffing around with a lock, before repeating the process 15 minutes down stream.

If you are having to spend 20 minutes in a lock, I can understand why you like them less than we do - most canal locks take under half that, if nobody else is slowing your progress.

I can't think of many locks I've been through that are "keepered" that I can possibly get through as fast as we do a typical canal lock on our own.

Too much time is spent whilst the crews of much of the "plastic" attempts to throw bits of rope inappropriately at various bollards, for start.

The Thames, for example, was a novelty to us, but after a few days on there, I was very happy to come off, and return to "normality", thanks very much!

You must have found the holiday brigade. :lol:

A typical Trent lock takes us (usually a group of 4 or 5 boats) about 5 minutes to load up and secure boats and 5 minutes to fill up (depending on the lock keeper and river levels). Never had a long wait in a lock for anyone attempting to rope up badly. Us more northern boaters actually come out of the marina and use the rivers :lol:

If you are having to spend 20 minutes in a lock, I can understand why you like them less than we do - most canal locks take under half that, if nobody else is slowing your progress.

Big wide locks. Not much you can do about it. Stamp End is a really slow lock, its the only guillotine lock in the area and takes an absolute age to fill. 20 minutes is on the optomistic side for that one. The others are about a 20 minute ordeal by the time you have figured out how to get a few varying sized cruisers wedged in.

Us more northern boaters actually come out of the marina and use the rivers :lol:

Ha! As a northerner myself, spending many months on northern waters even though I'm now based in the south - you wouldn't be able to move for boats on the Trent if it was true. It's just as bad 'tup norf as darn south.

At least you unlike most actually do some decent cruises with your boat, the best most manage is to the nearest pub once a year! :lol:

Cheers,

Mike

Ha! As a northerner myself, spending many months on northern waters even though I'm now based in the south - you wouldn't be able to move for boats on the Trent if it was true. It's just as bad 'tup norf as darn south.

At least you unlike most actually do some decent cruises with your boat, the best most manage is to the nearest pub once a year! :lol:

Cheers,

Mike

You cant on the non-tidal bits come a bit of sun and warm weather. Far too busy.

Now the tidal bit thats a different matter. Far too scary for the non boating boat owners :lol: