HELP ASSISTANCE REQUIRED

heyjude999

Featured Posts

Our boat builder having had so many delays with the build now cannot arrange for our boat to be delivered.

This leaves us basically stuck!

We cannot take time to move the boat ourselves and need to get it from Shardlow to Tinsley,Sheffield.

The handover date (lol had a few of those) will be the 26th Feb, we hope to move most of our stuff on that day and then there will at least be some home comforts for the journey (no mattress - but there will be a bed settee). Because of the delays we are homeless and camping out in an empty house that is currently for sale so our only mattress will be there along with the kettle! Our own home has had to be rented and we have put off the tenants for so long we simply cannot ask them for another extension.

I have called a few boat movers and been staggered by some of the quotes. We are not rich, having paid out so much for the boat, we never allowed for this extra cost in our budjet.

The trip will take 5/6 days part of the journey will be up the Trent where you will have to be aware of the tides.

The boatbuilder said there was a time when people moved boats for free just for a holiday, so why could I not do that, so here or even there it is......

Incommunicado is a (sorry will be) 58ft x 10ft 6in boat brand new, all hand made in oak.

If you can move it at reasonable cost or are an experienced boater who can supply details of experience and honesty PM me.

Incommunicado is a (sorry will be) 58ft x 10ft 6in boat brand new, all hand made in oak.

Is that the whole boat, or the fitout??

Inexplicably, many people seem to be nervous of wooden boats.... but there are a few on here who may just think christmas has come round again :lol:

Simon

Sorry steel shell, oak interior.

Should have made it clearer.

Cheers

Is that the whole boat, or the fitout??

Inexplicably, many people seem to be nervous of wooden boats.... but there are a few on here who may just think christmas has come round again :lol:

Simon

Thank you we have spoken he sounds a top man and is getting back to me tommorrow when he has spoken to a few people, he knows the route well which is good.

I will PM you the number of the chap who took my boat down the Trent for me, I paid £200 to take it from Bluewater Marina to Newark on Trent.

Mick

I'm surprised you are not getting people grabbing at the opportunity.

I'd love to have got involved, but apart from anything else, certainly couldn't claim experience of the tidal Trent.

Anyway, good luck with finding the right person(s).

I'm surprised you are not getting people grabbing at the opportunity.

I'd love to have got involved, but apart from anything else, certainly couldn't claim experience of the tidal Trent.

Anyway, good luck with finding the right person(s).

i liked the sound of helping out for free, but not tried the tidal trent yet myself, and dont need the free holiday either so maybe next time when i have more experience...

Most of the journey, with a bit of planning, should be possible over a weekend, I managed to get from Sawley to Newark in an easy day, another day would see you to Keadby easily. The next day would see you close if not in Sheffield.

Though a little tricky in an untried boat, at least the river sections of the Trent should give the boat a good workout. Don't spare the horses so you know you've got them available on the tidal stretch. Keep an eye on engine temp, as more often than not installations are under cooled. If it goes over 95 degrees C then slow down.

Make sure you have all the nessesary safety requirements, life jackets, suitable anchor (and chain and rope!). More often than not you end up buying a huge amount of extras on a new boat. Does it have (working) navigation lights?

It's neaps this coming weekend, which means the 27+28 will be springs, which might be a little more exciting! Leave Cromwell about 4 hours before high water, push the incoming tide, which is slow that far up the river, and then continue straight down with the dropping tide to Keadby. Talk to the lock keepers they will tell you when you should go, and ensure they are on duty at the locks when you need to leave. If you can take someone with you who knows the river it will help, and mean you wont need to mess about with extra insurance.

Hope that helps a little,

Cheers,

Mike

ps. It doesn't matter about the fitout, more important information is engine size etc.. :-)

Edited by mykaskin

Most of the journey, with a bit of planning, should be possible over a weekend, I managed to get from Sawley to Newark in an easy day, another day would see you to Keadby easily. The next day would see you close if not in Sheffield.

Though a little tricky in an untried boat, at least the river sections of the Trent should give the boat a good workout. Don't spare the horses so you know you've got them available on the tidal stretch. Keep an eye on engine temp, as more often than not installations are under cooled. If it goes over 95 degrees C then slow down.

Make sure you have all the nessesary safety requirements, life jackets, suitable anchor (and chain and rope!). More often than not you end up buying a huge amount of extras on a new boat. Does it have (working) navigation lights?

It's neaps this coming weekend, which means the 27+28 will be springs, which might be a little more exciting! Leave Cromwell about 4 hours before high water, push the incoming tide, which is slow that far up the river, and then continue straight down with the dropping tide to Keadby. Talk to the lock keepers they will tell you when you should go, and ensure they are on duty at the locks when you need to leave. If you can take someone with you who knows the river it will help, and mean you wont need to mess about with extra insurance.

Hope that helps a little,

Cheers,

Mike

ps. It doesn't matter about the fitout, more important information is engine size etc.. :-)

Newark to Keadby would make a long days cruising on an untested boat on unfamiliar tidal waters. You would be at least 6 or 7 hours on the tidal stretch depending on your pace with another hour from Newark to Cromwell.

Edited by Phylis

Newark to Keadby would make a long days cruising on an untested boat on unfamiliar tidal waters. You would be at least 6 or 7 hours on the tidal stretch depending on your pace with another hour from Newark to Cromwell.

Actually I didn't say to stop at Newark overnight, but was just giving a recent example of how quick the journey can be managed. On my journey I did over 12 hours non stop from Torksey to Tickton near Beverley.

Assuming it would be possible to pick the boat on Friday lunch time it could be easy to get it down to Nottingham the first day, get the shopping done at Sainbury's, and then on Saturday get down to Cromwell (or perhaps even further - the mooring jetty at Dunham might be a suitable stop over depending on tides and time - or just continue to Torksey.

Leaving Torksey about 1 hour before high water should get them down to Keadby before the water dissapears completely, and depending on the times of the tide get them a good way towards their goal on Sunday. Again I would recomend talking to the lock keepers just in case of restrictions - like the tide is too early for them to get up for! :-)

Mike

Edited by mykaskin

Well, what can I say...

The people at the Marina where will will be moored are putting together a plan/rota to bring Incommunicado back.

Can't thank them enough I am sure with their combined experience all will be well.

We will pay for the party afterwards!

I will keep you all posted.

Thank you too to those who have e mailed me, again this forum has proved to be priceless.

Good luck with the move.

If you can make it try to at least make part of the Trent stretch yourself, as well as helpers of course. I really enjoyed the Trent trip last year, even tho` I was a bit apprehensive about doing it , as it was the first trip on a narrowboat we had. :lol:

Sorry please don't make me laugh acceptance of problems and saying sorry do not seem to be in the boat builder vocabulary.

I find this boat building lark most unamusing and probably the most unprofessional encounter I have ever had.

I cannot wait for it to be over and I hope that I will never have to go through it again.

That said the boat I know will be stunning and I hope the joy of that will in time take over from the pain........a bit like child birth. (lol)

The other issue is the problems with the Tinsley flight, so should check with BW. If this is the builders fault perhaps he might contribute to the cost? :lol: